Why isn't the Santana model more popular?

A friend recently gave me a Korean 2011 SE Santana with flame maple top. I liked it so much I bought a SE Santana Standard...less expensive, made in Indonesia, but still a Santana. They are unusual guitars in a number of ways....well...every way. The neck is not like anything I've ever played before. You can make comparrisons to LPs or SGs or whatever, but Santanas are unique. If you like them, they're golden. So I now have 2 and will, no doubt, in the future get one of the 24 fret versions because I've recently acquired a SE Custom 24 Zebrawood and I really like the 25" scale. In my opinion, the Santanas have a sophomoric design, very basic and simple. That's part of what I like about them. If you're talking Core guitars with killer woods and lots of $$$, you're way out of my league, so I'll just let it go at that. I think PRS could make a decent guitar out of 2x4s and toothpicks. The Santanas adhere to the K.I.S.S. principal and that suits me to a Tee. Oye Como Va?

Santanas01.jpg

How would you compare the feel and tone between the two in this photo?

No matter how much I've lusted for a Core Santana, I'd rather have one of the now impossible to find limited edition Santana King Snake amps.

I just saw your post. That amp is the bomb. I love mine, # 87 of 400. The prices they are selling for now is crazy. The only thing that amp does not have is his fingers. Yes, I do believe a little of Carlos' soul is in their also!

And one day I will have a PRS Santana Guitar.

Back on '02, I bought a Santana III. Ended up selling it, because I just didn't bond with it. Loved the neck (baseball bat), but hated the neck dive. Plus, I just didn't like the 'trebly' nature of the guitar. I was hoping for a bit more beef. So I sold it, and never bought - or played - another one.

My eyes! Too much quilt-y goodness in one spot! :D

Holy moly some terrific ones here. Steve, that Walnut back is amazing! Tonart, one of these days, you need a thread posting your guitar collection!

Never tried a Santana, have to remedy that one day. Like Django, RW neck WILL be required! Was that one from Dave’s? They have a killer WL run of Santana’s with RW necks coming in the past few weeks. Either way congrats!

EDIT: might as well all of them to the covet list!

I always wanted one when they first came out.

I ended up going through (all mid-late 90s models) a cu22, 2x cu24s, a hollowbody spruce, SAS, McCarty, and one of those soapbars that came out 10 or so years ago.

I wish I still had them but it turns out the Santana retro I just picked up is the PRS I’ve been looking for the whole time. I just really prefer the body and headstock designs to the standard issue. No problems with balance or anything, either. 57/08 in the neck and Santana in bridge. The neck shape is perfect.

Mine doesn’t have the Om, though. It’s a PS so I reckon whoever ordered it didn’t want it.

ImquhSB.jpg

I’ve wanted a King Snake for a long time but opted for something a little more versatile and better suited for my needs....just a small custom design nod to one of the greatest amps ever.

cusoj4A.jpg

Last edited:
I always wanted one when they first came out.

I ended up going through (all mid-late 90s models) a cu22, 2x cu24s, a hollowbody spruce, SAS, McCarty, and one of those soapbars that came out 10 or so years ago.

I wish I still had them but it turns out the Santana retro I just picked up is the PRS I’ve been looking for the whole time. I just really prefer the body and headstock designs to the standard issue. No problems with balance or anything, either. 57/08 in the neck and Santana in bridge. The neck shape is perfect.

Mine doesn’t have the Om, though. It’s a PS so I reckon whoever ordered it didn’t want it.

ImquhSB.jpg

I’ve wanted a King Snake for a long time but opted for something a little more versatile and better suited for my needs....just a small custom design nod to one of the greatest amps ever.

cusoj4A.jpg

I'd sleep with that!

Thanks!
I took that walnut (& SW) to them. It was a nice big burl piece and both PS backs came from it. First walnut PRSi. Same with the snakewood fret boards.

Back on the other one:

Simply stunning! I’ve never tried walnut, but have heard good things about the tone.

Back