Big News - Santana Retro is now 24.594!

BrianC

more toys than talent
I watched the new video and had to check the website to be sure. There it was, 594!!

Ok so big deal yes / no??? For me, 24.5 is just too short. You wouldn't think that this small of a difference would make a BIG difference but it does.

When playing higher up, it is just enough to make playing comfortable and not too cramped.

I had a Santana III some years back. Great guitar tone and playability but too small in the upper frets. This may have me looking again for the right one in '24.

Thoughts???

For me, 24.5 is just too short. You wouldn't think that this small of a difference would make a BIG difference but it does.
You can sense the difference of 0.1" (actually 0.094") over the total scale length of the guitar? That's less than a hundredth of an inch per fret at the 24th fret - a lot less, I think, but I didn't do the proper math.

Are you sure you aren't just tripping over the extra two frets, since all the other "594" models are 22 frets?

You can sense the difference of 0.1" (actually 0.094") over the total scale length of the guitar? That's less than a hundredth of an inch per fret at the 24th fret - a lot less, I think, but I didn't do the proper math.

Are you sure you aren't just tripping over the extra two frets, since all the other "594" models are 22 frets?
Most of my guitars are Custom 24's. I have played MA Pete's 40+ 24.5" guitars and I did not like the upper fret access. Yes, the 594 IS noticeably roomier. I do agree it seems a bit much...

I have very good impressions of the 594 scale length, tonally speaking.

I’m sticking with the Westie.
I’m pretty sure if Carlos wanted the extra tenth, he had the leverage to get it.
It’s gotta be more of a higher commonality production thing than anything else.

Otherwise they’ve got 25” 24.594, 25.5, (maybe even 25 1/4 if anyone remembers those) and then 24.5 fretboards to deal with on the production line. This way they can just dig into a barrel of fretboards and only have to juggle a few.

The difference between 24.5 and 594 is only important to (IMO) Gibson goobers and spec dweebs.

I watched Bryan Ewald's demo of the Retro on YouTube. He mentioned that it has a 10" radius. My recollection is that the Santana's have historically had an 11.5" radius. The 11.5" radius was what made the Santana model one of my favorites.

I hope they did not switch to 10".

I watched Bryan Ewald's demo of the Retro on YouTube. He mentioned that it has a 10" radius. My recollection is that the Santana's have historically had an 11.5" radius. The 11.5" radius was what made the Santana model one of my favorites.

I hope they did not switch to 10".
Other models are 10"

It’s gotta be more of a higher commonality production thing than anything else.

Otherwise they’ve got 25” 24.594, 25.5, (maybe even 25 1/4 if anyone remembers those) and then 24.5 fretboards to deal with on the production line. This way they can just dig into a barrel of fretboards and only have to juggle a few.

The difference between 24.5 and 594 is only important to (IMO) Gibson goobers and spec dweebs.

Maybe a move to save on re-tooling. Just the headstock difference between a Santana and a McCarty?

Most of my guitars are Custom 24's. I have played MA Pete's 40+ 24.5" guitars and I did not like the upper fret access. Yes, the 594 IS noticeably roomier. I do agree it seems a bit much...
Interesting. I have all of the various scale lengths from PRS and while I do sense a difference in the bigger deltas (like 24.5 to 25, or 25 to 25.5), the biggest thing I feel with the 594s is the actual neck profile somehow making it easier to play even for my tiny hands (where you might think the chunkier profile would be a detriment for me).

You wouldn't think that the .094" inch difference would be noticeable - but it definitely was! I noticed big time, so much so that I decided to sell my 3 beloved 245 Private Stocks (the Jade Glow DC 245, the Citrus Glow SC 245, on sale in Europe on Reverb now, and the Citrus Glow DC 245) to go down the 594 path.

I remember you coming over in 2016 and playing both scale lengths back to back and commenting the same - that you could feel the difference as well, there was just that little bit of extra space when soloing above the 15th fret that was noticeable.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar dilemma; I've been considering getting an older SC245 vs SC McCarty 594 and been going back and forth between the scale length.
I have a Santana III that's 24.5", which feels and plays awesome, so when I saw the specs for the new Santana Retro 594..needless to say now I have another decision to make..haha

Brian - Funny thing, I responded above thinking that you had replied to the thread I started on the exact same topic, Tuesday night after PRS launched their new 2024 videos. Then I looked again and realized you started your own thread on the exact same thing.

Interesting that on this global forum that two guys that are neighbors and guitar buddies in Southwest Chicago Suburbs were the first two to notice this change and post about it! LOL... ;)

Other models are 10"

Yeah, the cost effective value Santanas.

two guys that are neighbors and guitar buddies in Southwest Chicago Suburbs were the first two to notice this change and post about it! LOL... ;)
to be fair… @bodia @Rider1260 and I already got ours so we didn’t look.

Back