2023 PRS Silver Sky - Frost with Maple Fretboard

Fatherjones.com

IMG_4396.jpeg
IMG_4390.jpeg
Well, I finally snagged one of these. And I must say it is very nice. I have a Suhr Classic S which is quite a fine instrument and I would compare the two as in the same league. Yes, that is correct. And I had prejudged I wouldnt like these. Even though I am a John Mayer fan, a PRS fan and a Stratocaster fan. I had been thinking I would not like the vintage radius. Or the frets or scarf joint or gig bag or price. But seeing is believing and playing one is knowing one, and the dag thing is sweet as sugar.

First off, simply forgetting what the dimensional numbers are, putting the guitar in the hand and playing it convinced me it felt great, played great, and sounded great. Fretting out on big upper register bends? No.

Scarf joint? Who cares. The fretboard is a separate piece of maple too. So its a three piece neck. Not a vintage maple Fender neck. That's ok. Luthiers have been joining wood with glue for centuries to make multipiece necks and bodies. If done right, it offers strength and architecture advantage. Like headstock tilt.

Hardware is all amazing. Pickups sound killer. Not too different from my Suhr MLs -- same idea anyway.

As usual the PRS volume and tone knobs actually work really well and offer useful variations.

Build quality is typically high.

Gigbag is a cheap touch. They can insist how pros use gig bags all day ... and they do! But its a cheap touch. Luckily, Hiscox case works like a charm.

Last edited:
Re: gig bags, while I do think at this point should come with HSC, my bigger beef is just that the PRS gig bag is pretty crappy. Unless I'm taking my LP I almost always use a gig bag when I leave the house, but I would never use the PRS one with any confidence. Low quality and little protection

Re: gig bags, while I do think at this point should come with HSC, my bigger beef is just that the PRS gig bag is pretty crappy. Unless I'm taking my LP I almost always use a gig bag when I leave the house, but I would never use the PRS one with any confidence. Low quality and little protection
For real. The cheapo gig bag it came with is better than nothing but only just.

Last edited:
After two days I still think its great. But when I was looking through the gig bag, I noticed it came with absolutely no documentation or hangtags of any kind. Do these not normally come with those? Or were they likely lost because I got it secondhand?

After two days I still think its great. But when I was looking through the gig bag, I noticed it came with absolutely no documentation or hangtags of any kind. Do these not normally come with those? Or were they likely lost because I got it secondhand?
New PRS always come with hangtag, warranty registration info, truss rod and hex head wrenches for adjustments, etc. Sounds like whoever had it before you kept/tossed those

That's pretty darn sweet, and even better that you like the feel and tone!

The Hiscox cases are really nice. And yes, the guitars should come with the hangtags, tools, and a few other odds and ends.

The stock bags are indeed pretty basic items. I don't have an SS, but for my Core and PS guitars, I went with a gig bag that's fancy/sturdy. I'd do the same if I had an SS.

However, it occurs to me that the SS ships long distances, on common-carrier trucks, in just a cardboard box and inexpensive gig bag, and seems to survive the journey in fine fettle.

I sometimes wonder if we aren't a little too precious about the cases and gig bags, if all we're doing is putting them in a well-padded car interior most of the time when we head out. In an equipment truck loaded with gear, sure, you need more protection. If I was doing that, I think the Hiscox would be a fantastic choice.

Despite all this, sure, I'd pamper the thing! ;)

The stock bags are indeed pretty basic items. I don't have an SS, but for my Core and PS guitars, I went with a gig bag that's fancy/sturdy. I'd do the same if I had an SS.

However, it occurs to me that the SS ships long distances, on common-carrier trucks, in just a cardboard box and inexpensive gig bag, and seems to survive the journey in fine fettle.

I sometimes wonder if we aren't a little too precious about the cases and gig bags, if all we're doing is putting them in a well-padded car interior most of the time when we head out. In an equipment truck loaded with gear, sure, you need more protection. If I was doing that, I think the Hiscox would be a fantastic choice.

Despite all this, sure, I'd pamper the thing! ;)

^this^

I’m a hard case sort of guy. Heck mine don’t see the light of day now, unless they’re in my hands.

Back