Why is the Mira discontinued then lowered on the line?

DK1984

Core Mira went bye bye, then S2 , now we have the SE. I see a lot of guys say the Mira is the best PRS but PRS never brought it back to the core Lin and now it’s not with S2. Makes me wonder why they discontinued it from the other lines of it’s such a beloved model.

Core Mira went bye bye, then S2 , now we have the SE. I see a lot of guys say the Mira is the best PRS but PRS never brought it back to the core Lin and now it’s not with S2. Makes me wonder why they discontinued it from the other lines of it’s such a beloved model.
Paul always said, if you buy 'em I'll make 'em.
Guess we didn't buy enough of 'em.

My only problem is the SE has 85/15’s’ pickups - if it had the Mira pickups I’d be more interested as I dig the frost blue. That being said, you can get a Core for what the S2’s were selling for, or get a used S2 for not much more than the SE’s new.

Down the road I may add a core to the collection, I definitely like it’s vibe. Probably a Vela first though...

pretty sure they did this because anne mira died in 2015.

150524174607-07-anne-meara---restricted-super-169.jpg

It's a great instrument and does all things well, but it didn't excel in any one area so it didn't necessarily sell well. It truly does belong in the SE line as Jack-of-all-Trades instrument and a great starting point, but it lacks the "pointedness" of the rest of the Core or S2 lines.

FYI I am the proud owner of an S2 Mira. It handles any type of music I throw at it, but it lacks that magic people look for in any specific type of sound.

It's really a shame as the S2 Mira is a really great guitar. I was also bummed when they discontinued the birds on the Mira. I own a lot of guitars but this is the only model I bought a second one identical (expect the color). I had intended to do some modifications on the second one but I can't bring myself to monkey with it. Perhaps I should get a third and mod it... :) Truly a wonder guitar!

It's really a shame as the S2 Mira is a really great guitar. I was also bummed when they discontinued the birds on the Mira. I own a lot of guitars but this is the only model I bought a second one identical (expect the color). I had intended to do some modifications on the second one but I can't bring myself to monkey with it. Perhaps I should get a third and mod it... :) Truly a wonder guitar!

I thought it over carefully, and clearly a third to mod is the right move. Awaiting NGD and NMD threads.

I have a conspiracy theory; namely, the Mira and Starla were both created by Joe Knaggs before he left PRS and founded Knaggs Guitars. :)

I'm on my way to getting a Starla X P90 as the Mira sadly was going to cost me a lot more to grab. The S2 Mira is a great guitar, I just think it going down from S2 to SE is sad to see, but it's all about money in the end. I'd love to see them bring the Starla X back to the core line, but doubt it'll happen.

I've got a core Mira that ain't goin anywhere. You ask what the Mira does that the others can't?

What does the SG do?

The Mira does that ...better...
I have a sweet Wild Mint Core Mira, and I really love it. It really sounds nothing quite like my other Core PRSes.

Over the years, though, I keep reading occasional references to the Mira as being kind of like “the SG of the PRS line”. I’m assuming that’s not merely in reference to their thinner bodies and diminished weights, right? Gotta be something more than that.

Can anyone who owns/has owned both a Mira and an SG be able to describe their similarities and their differences, especially tonally.

Just curious cuz my Mira does exactly what I need it too.
I haven’t played an SG in many, many years... but I’m also not looking for an SG. Looking for nuanced descriptions if nothing else. Thanks!

Last edited:
I still "run the internet racks" for a Mira X. Why? Wide-Fat neck and 22 frets.

They made a boatload of them in Sepia Burst, and I won't buy one in that finish-Yuck!

AND I'm picky and want one that hasn't had mods done.

They are very elusive at this point.

I still "run the internet racks" for a Mira X. Why? Wide-Fat neck and 22 frets.

They made a boatload of them in Sepia Burst, and I won't buy one in that finish-Yuck!

AND I'm picky and want one that hasn't had mods done.

They are very elusive at this point.
I want the Grandma Hannon Pink version of the Mira X!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “cuter” PRS.

Edited to ad pic:

Adoraballz

Last edited:
Back