Big shout out to PRS for creating the S2 DC594 series guitar

Rod/

Vibrato & String Bender
I’d been a Les Paul player since the early 70’s . Live, on records, CD’s, on tape, later Protools ect… you get the idea. I owned many over the years. Owned a very early McCarty that got “misplaced” by a moving van. Never found…, Then one day at John Mann’s Guitar Vault I got to play a new DGT.. an amazing guitar and so versatile.. sort of a cross between a Gibson and Fender…. and so it started with that Wood Library edition DGT, then my 2014 Custom 24, (the hot rod of PRS), my P22 Goldtop for duo work, ect sold off all but 1 handmade Corsa. LP. And I thought I’d give a DC594 a try… Wow. It truly was everything I ever wanted from a Gibson but the Gibbys always fell short in comfort, necks, playability, weight, hardware ect ect…it’s why I owned and sold so many lp’s…… and my 594 is “only” and S2, which I really appreciate. The simpler body carve and the bound neck being just superb. The ultimate ‘59 neck, but more playable/comfortable and it’s tones are very balanced for a shorter scale guitar and it sings playing solos, which I do a lot of….
At any rate it’s the Green Blackwrap DC in my avatar… Great work PRS. Thank you:) (to John Mann and Andy as well)… Now I wonder if a Single Cut version would be worth a try:oops::eek:…..hhhhuuummmm

Last edited:
Between the weight difference and the slightly different strap button positioning my SC and DC are much more different than I expected. If there was ever a great duo to have, it's a DC594 and a SC594! Go for it.

I’d been a Les Paul player since the early 70’s . Live, on records, CD’s, on tape, later Protools ect… you get the idea. I owned many over the years. Owned a very early McCarty that got “misplaced” by a moving van. Never found…, Then one day at John Mann’s Guitar Vault I got to play a new DGT.. an amazing guitar and so versatile.. sort of a cross between a Gibson and Fender…. and so it started with that Wood Library edition DGT, then my 2014 Custom 24, (the hot rod of PRS), my P22 Goldtop for duo work, ect sold off all but 1 handmade Corsa. LP. And I thought I’d give a DC594 a try… Wow. It truly was everything I ever wanted from a Gibson but the Gibbys always fell short in comfort, necks, playability, weight, hardware ect ect…it’s why I owned and sold so many lp’s…… and my 594 is “only” and S2, which I really appreciate. The simpler body carve and the bound neck being just superb. The ultimate ‘59 neck, but more playable/comfortable and it’s tones are very balanced for a shorter scale guitar and it sings playing solos, which I do a lot of….
At any rate it’s the Green Blackwrap DC in my avatar… Great work PRS. Thank you:) (to John Mann and Andy as well)… Now I wonder if a Single Cut version would be worth a try:oops::eek:…..hhhhuuummmm

Out of all the PRS guitars I own, I only have one S2 series guitar and it is a 594 Thinline. I was instantly impressed with it after I opened the box and plugged it in. At this very moment, I'm selling what I believe will be the last Les Paul I will ever own while this 594 Thinline is in the shop to have a pre-wired tone control package and a set of PRS 57/08 pickups installed into it.

Each of these goodies I've been holding on to for a long time. (I have plenty of stock core line McCarty 594's to play if I want that factory made functionality.) I mentioned on this forum that I was going to do that and my favorite comment from someone was that this guitar "...is going to slay!" in that configuration.

I have never liked the way playing a Les Paul feels. To me, playing a Les Paul feels like plowing a field with a donkey. A lot of people get great sounds with them, but I just can't get past how they feel. It has never been an option for me.

The McCarty 594 is a great fit for me. I wanted something that has sounds in the Les Paul ball park and I really like PRS guitars. Mine is a 2022 S2 I got used earlier this year. I put the vintage locking tuners on it and a set of Duncan Saturday Night Specials. I feel right at home playing it and sounds great.

People argue about how much a 594 does or doesn't sound like a Les Paul, it's as close as I'm going to get.

Last edited:
This DC594 S2 is currently sitting at a local store that's only a few miles away, and I've been tempted to grab it. Since I already have a Core 594, I don't really need it, but it's a pretty sweet guitar!

That is exactly what mine looks like except now (I just picked it up from the shop) it has 57/08 pickups and an Emerson pre-wired set of vintage tone controls installed in it.

EMERSON LES PAUL PREWIRED KIT

Last edited:
That's an S2 McCarty 594 Thinline.

Great guitar. Compared to the non-thinline S2 McCarty 594, it's all Mahogany (no maple cap), lighter, and has the pickup switch by the knobs (where it should be ;-)). If the S2 McCarty 594 is a Les Paul, this is an SG (but in reality this guitar has it's own thing going on).

This DC594 S2 is currently sitting at a local store that's only a few miles away, and I've been tempted to grab it. Since I already have a Core 594, I don't really need it, but it's a pretty sweet guitar!

Back