Where can I find a core model!?

I agree with Les: GUITAR CENTER SUCKS!

Okay, now that that's said, how far are you from Albany, NY? There is an excellent PRS dealer there called Parkway music. They always have a nice selection of core models, and a nice mix of the rest of their lines. Right now they have 513's, a 408, two of the Custom 24 anniversary models, and so forth. No, I don't work there, but I am a supporter of their store. They survived GC, and I think the Albany store will go bye-bye soon. They have almost nothing left, and the bulk of their product is imports. Anyway, good luck...the trip would be. Worth the drive!

Dude! Do you think for even one second that PRS wouldn't like to get its Core product into every reputable store?

They go to NAMM, and try to sell their guitars to every worthwhile dealer they can!

It's not PRS' fault that GC put so many small stores out of business, and that they can't afford to carry PRS Core products. That is GC's fault, not PRS'.

Don't blame PRS for something they have absolutely nothing to do with.

Les, I did not mean to have it sound like I blame PRS for what has happened in the marketplace. In any case I would say GC combined with internet business (Sweetwater, Musicians Friend for example), is what has put smaller shops out of business. My response was for PRS to look at it more as an opportunity given there is no one along the immediate Southern California coast that stocks a reasonable amount of higher end PRS guitars & amps and there are a lot of potential customers in this area (serious musicians, collectors, etc).

I don't think it's only because of GC. I don't think there's a single store left here in Montreal that stocks core line PRS guitars while there were at least three just a couple of years ago.

Honestly, I think the propensity of Internet offerings has a lot to do with it, and it's not just with respect to PRS core models. I see many places that just don't stock high end (expensive) guitars like they used to. It's got to be cost prohibitive. Ten years ago if I wanted a high end guitar I had to find somewhere local to touch and feel it. Be that GC, Sam Ash, or any smaller store. You just didn't have many other options. What was in the stores you could drive to was what your choices were. Now, in four hours I can literally look at hundreds of choices and buy whatever I want, providing I've done my research. In most cases, I can have it to my front door the next day. Heck, you can even do trades that way now. And, if you don't like it, you send it back. The obvious downside to having all of these choices is not being able to actually play it first. You have to decide if that's a trade off you're willing to make.

Les, I did not mean to have it sound like I blame PRS for what has happened in the marketplace. In any case I would say GC combined with internet business (Sweetwater, Musicians Friend for example), is what has put smaller shops out of business. My response was for PRS to look at it more as an opportunity given there is no one along the immediate Southern California coast that stocks a reasonable amount of higher end PRS guitars & amps and there are a lot of potential customers in this area (serious musicians, collectors, etc).

I'm sure they would look at it as an opportunity. The problem isn't that PRS doesn't want opportunity. The problem is that the store that you're talking about doesn't stock PRS for whatever reason.

Bug the STORE to carry PRS. They're the issue.

I'm sure they would look at it as an opportunity. The problem isn't that PRS doesn't want opportunity. The problem is that the store that you're talking about doesn't stock PRS for whatever reason.

Bug the STORE to carry PRS. They're the issue.

Have been working on it and continue to work on it. They keep mentioning some problems they had with PRS guitars in the 90's. I have told them that they need to take a fresh look at the core models that are continually improving them. I don't own any PRS guitars that were made in the 90's so I can't really address their issues. As of today, the store is surviving on its repair business (my opinion). To be honest I don't know how they do it. Store rents in Laguna Beach are exorbitant. I try to support them as much as I can. They will match any valid internet price on any product if the carry it.

I live in NYC and even i have a hard time finding them. Of the places i've been to:

One only stocks s2 models, one only deals in used prs, one only sells vintage guitars and they told me "PRS isn't old enough to be vintage yet", one says they stock them but there are never any there when i visit, one usually has 2-3 of them, the rest don't carry the brand at all. I don't even go in GC, i can't stand them. So it's either a road trip, or Sweetwater for me.

They keep mentioning some problems they had with PRS guitars in the 90's.

That's simply a total BS line from the store -- a face-saving lie. I had PRSes in the 90s (started playing them in 1991), and they were absolutely renowned for their excellent quality and zero problems. In fact, they revolutionized the industry with their quality.

One of my best friends in the 90s owned a store that carried PRS and some other high end brands like Tom Anderson. He used to sing PRS' praises, and always said there were zero quality control issues and returns. Unfortunately, he couldn't compete with GC, and had to close the store ten-twelve years back. And he lost his PRS dealership, etc.

I guarantee that if this store had a "problem" with PRS guitars it was that they couldn't afford to carry the line. It's the same issue that Mesa often faces with dealers who can't carry the stock. It's expensive, and in this day and age, dealer "floor plans" aren't all that generous.

But don't buy into this store's excuse. I'd never do business with them.

Back