Where can I find a core model!?

steveNY444

I'm in central NY and really really want to try a custom 24 but all Guitar Centers within 100 mile radius of zip 14850 only sell the SE model. But I don't want an SE model. So does PRS actually expect to sell these guitars if they don't even send them to the dealers to be put on display and tried out? There were plenty of les paul's whatever guitar center i went to. But no PRS core models anywhere. If PRS expects me to drive to across 2 states just to try the guitar then it's obviously not gonna happen. Can someone help me?! Thanks!

I'm in central NY and really really want to try a custom 24 but all Guitar Centers within 100 mile radius of zip 14850 only sell the SE model. But I don't want an SE model. So does PRS actually expect to sell these guitars if they don't even send them to the dealers to be put on display and tried out? There were plenty of les paul's whatever guitar center i went to. But no PRS core models anywhere. If PRS expects me to drive to across 2 states just to try the guitar then it's obviously not gonna happen. Can someone help me?! Thanks!
Keep in mind, it's not like PRS just sends these guitars out. If GC doesn't stock the guitars, it's because they aren't buying stock to sell in store. Don't blame the manufacturer when it is in fact the store's decision..

Keep in mind, it's not like PRS just sends these guitars out. If GC doesn't stock the guitars, it's because they aren't buying stock to sell in store. Don't blame the manufacturer when it is in fact the store's decision..

I don't know who's fault it is nor do I care. I just want to play the instrument. But don't want to have to drive 8 hours to do it. As for the first reply. I have done this already. Called plenty of places. none of them have the core models around me. Am I missing something?

Take a road trip to Brian's guitars near New Haven, CT. Google maps says 4 1/2 hours from your zip. And technically it's not across 2 states...:rolleyes:

Guitar Centers suck hugely.
I don't know who's fault it is nor do I care. I just want to play the instrument. But don't want to have to drive 8 hours to do it. As for the first reply. I have done this already. Called plenty of places. none of them have the core models around me. Am I missing something?

There are a lot of PRS dealers in NY, but...Call one of the good dealers in the Forum dealer section. Some of them will send a guitar on 24 hour approval.

Sweetwater I believe also will, if dealing with a big box store is your thing.

It's not PRS' fault that GC has had some problems recently, and stopped stocking Core PRS, Mesa, and several other top brands.

Unfortunately, GC put a lot of small mom and pop stores out of business. This is the result. Less selection of stock merchandise for customers.

However, the GC near me inexplicably gets Core models, and a dealer a few miles away has a huge stock on hand. And I'm in Michigan, you'd think there'd be more in NY.

If that's not good enough, then it's not good enough.

Last edited:
I was really lucky during my searches for particular guitars..

I came onto the Forum, read, researched, and made lots of friends. A few of them were kind enough to meet up with me and let me try theirs. One of those was the 1st guy to reply to you.

P.S. Brians is definitely worth the trip!

There are 4 used core models between the Rochester and Syracuse GC's. Hop in your wheels, and check them out. I found that out in 2 minutes, and I live in Chicago. They should at least give you an idea of what you can expect.

As for GC not having any, as has been said, that's all on GC. They did put a lot of mom and pop shops out of business, and now they seem to be doing their best to do the same to themselves. One opened less than 2 miles from my house about 10 years ago. Man, I was in trouble for a number of years because that place had EVERYTHING! I was in their last week and it's a shell of what it used to be. Most of their stock was low/mid price tier, and there was a ton of open floor space. It really looked like a place that was having a close out sale. I don't have a ton of love for GC these days, but it still made me kinda sad.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Turns out I was just being a jackass and needed to spend more than 30 minutes on the phone with a few dealers. I found a shop in Vestal NY one hour away that has quite a few core models and that's where I'm headed after work. BAM!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Turns out I was just being a jackass and needed to spend more than 30 minutes on the phone with a few dealers. I found a shop in Vestal NY one hour away that has quite a few core models and that's where I'm headed after work. BAM!

We're crossing our fingers you'll find one you like! (several, maybe?) ;-)

Another vote for Brian's. Likely one of the only dealers in the whole country you can find all of the PRS range from SE, S2, core, private stock, collection, acoustic, amps......bet there is not a model you can't find there.

Plus tons of other brands as well. A real destination shop.

I face a similar conundrum. The GC's near me don't stock core PRS's (I can't even find a Vela to try out). With traffic I have to make what amounts to a half day trip to put my hands on a PRS. Not convenient for what conceivably is a very large market (Southern California). There is a guitar store in Laguna Beach that would be a perfect place for PRS guitars to be stocked and sold (PRS are you listening?). I have yet to see in person or touch a PRS Amp or acoustic guitar.

There is a guitar store in Laguna Beach that would be a perfect place for PRS guitars to be stocked and sold (PRS are you listening?)

Dude! Do you think for even one second that PRS wouldn't like to get its Core product into every reputable store?

They go to NAMM, and try to sell their guitars to every worthwhile dealer they can!

It's not PRS' fault that GC put so many small stores out of business, and that they can't afford to carry PRS Core products. That is GC's fault, not PRS'.

Don't blame PRS for something they have absolutely nothing to do with.

Not much core action near me either. You'd think a large city like Vancouver Canada would have a few pockets of lovely PRS. Long and McQuade (our version of GC) has very little to choose from and most independant stores are all about SE.

Back