What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

IMO, we live in a society that believes that you don't need to pay top dollar to receive top quality, and that anything above a certain (usually arbitrary) price point is throwing money away....

.....but in my experience, you generally get what you pay for.

Well said ... and a sad commentary on our disposable lifestyle.

IMO, we live in a society that believes that you don't need to pay top dollar to receive top quality, and that anything above a certain (usually arbitrary) price point is throwing money away....

I agree. And because I'm me (i.e., a person who simply can't shut up), I'll expand on this idea a little. Here's my theory of relativity - no, not that one that says E=MC2, and not the one that says "it depends on who your relatives are" - I mean that all things are relative, in that their value will depend on how essential they are to one's needs.

If all I wore was sandals, then buying a pair of socks would be throwing money away, even if they were ten cent socks.

If I made my living driving race cars, I'd want a Ferrari for the track, or something of that caliber. Because I'd want to be competitive, and I'd want to win. I doubt anyone would think that I was wasting money on a race car if I was a race car driver, or owned a racing team.

I compete with very well organized and talented music production companies from all over the world, in the highly competitive field of TV ad scoring.

Anything that gives me an edge is a good thing. At one time, that required a six figure investment at least, in hardware recording equipment. Today, everyone uses a computer, some choice outboard gear, and a nice pair of studio monitors. It's all about the writing, and often how things sound to the producers. Today maintaining an edge is more difficult - there are lots of talented people out there doing the kind of work I do, and there isn't much of an economic barrier to get into the business.

It's hard to stay inspired, and it's hard to sound better than the other guy. So what I want to pay for is something that will inspire and fire my creativity, and maybe even sound a little better. That's easier said than done; moreover, that is going to vary wildly from individual to individual.

My instruments keep my inspiration up. I'm that guy who's inspired by them to do better. My amps, my guitars, etc., are crucial. If they sound just a tiny bit better, well, then party, bonus. If they give me the confidence to play a little better, or create a better part, then they're an absolute steal of a bargain, no matter what they cost. Even if on the recorded tracks, as some folks say, "no one can really tell," well, I can tell, and that's where the inspiration part comes in.

So relative to some theoretical "hobby" person's actual needs, a guitar a company spent five or ten man-hours making is great. For a more committed player, the 22 man-hours a Core PRS makes sense. But, the additional man-hours spent on a PS might be a waste.

From my point of view, however, the additional man-hours spent on a PS result in a wonderful source of inspiration, and I'm willing to pay for those man-hours, because I need that kick in the butt. I think many folks might agree that it makes sense for a person in my business to do whatever it takes to be inspired and therefore, be more competitive in the business.

Thus, to get back to my theory of relativity, relatively speaking, the PS makes sense for me, but I can see where it might not make sense for others.

I could go on and on about our throwaway society, heck there's no such thing as a TV repairman any more because it's cheaper to go out and buy a new TV if yours breaks. That's a mindset. But we do live in a complex society where everyone not only has an opinion, everyone has an outlet for that opinion to be published on the internet.

So while I can see the point of view of people who put a price limit on what makes sense, the same people will have different priorities than I do, and might do things I think of as throwing money away on other desires, needs, investments, etc.

Priorities are relative, therefore. And it's too easy to throw stones at what other folks are wasting money on, and not realize that we all prioritize in various and very different ways.

"Kind of a long-winded rationalization, there, Les."

"Yes, but it isn't a bad one, is it?"

"Well..."

Last edited:
Hmm, the oft declared notion that guitars are merely tools. Rightly so.

But I know of at least one entity that subscribes to a different view of PRS guitars - the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/news/story/prs_guitars_in_the_metropolitan_museum_of_art

How do you subject fine art to what would be inevitable damage?

How many times have forum members labelled a private stock guitar the meaning of life just based on its looks? If you purchased (at a dear price mind you) something because of its beauty, how could you subject it to anything that would undermine/destroy its beauty?

It's all cognitively, emotionally and psychologically incompatible isn't it?

Conundrum, conundrum! But a happy one!

Speaking only for myself, an epiphone SG is a tool. A private stock McCarty is art. Heck, a 57/08 LTD is art.

Tools or Art? You be the judge:
http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php...tar/collection_series_iii_mccarty_semi_hollow

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/privatestock/gallery_guitar/collection_series_ii_dgt

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php...s_the_2014_collection_series_by_private_stock

I'll go in a similar direction as Les, but slightly different.

As Les said, guitars (all guitars, really) are functional pieces of art. You have their physical beauty, but also the art that can be created using them.

What you describe as something that would "undermine/destroy its beauty" is merely part of its story. And part of that story, as shown by the wear and tear, is that the guitar transcended its physical beauty and was used to create more art. It doesn't take away from the beauty - it enhances it.

As of right now my CU24 Brazilian Edition is my best playing guitar I own. I'm going to be getting an SC245 soon which could change things completely.

As Les said, guitars (all guitars, really) are functional pieces of art. You have their physical beauty, but also the art that can be created using them.

What you describe as something that would "undermine/destroy its beauty" is merely part of its story. And part of that story, as shown by the wear and tear, is that the guitar transcended its physical beauty and was used to create more art. It doesn't take away from the beauty - it enhances it.
Very well said.

I like the idea that a good guitar is part of the circle of art: it is art and is used to create more art.

I'll go in a similar direction as Les, but slightly different.

I'll simplify even more; my guitars make me feel good. Doesn't matter if I'm playing one, looking at it hanging on my wall, or staring at a case. Like a piece of art, they evoke a certain psychological response. For me, that's joy, and it's regardless of price.

I'll simplify even more; my guitars make me feel good. Doesn't matter if I'm playing one, looking at it hanging on my wall, or staring at a case.
That is exactly why I did this.
CK_531CrazyWall.JPG

World's Most Awesome (and tasteful) Cabinet! I like the pictorial art as well. And the piano. Love to see the rest of the room, it's gotta be beautiful.
The room as a whole is pretty simple and doesn't have much spare space. I don't have many photos of it handy, but at the risk of taking the thread off topic:
View from the back of the piano - might be my favourite view in the house.
CK_085ThroughThePianoAAA.JPG

Pretty washed out, but all I have handy to show the view from the other side.
CK_29CasesLitAndFull.JPG

No no, that's not the equation. The equation is the 90/10 issue, the AstonMartin equation: How much $$ am I willing to invest in my "daily driver"?? A Toyota will get you from point A to point B just as certainly as will an Aston. It will certainly not be quite as refined a ride, but you also will not be so upset if it acquires a scratch - and you'll pay a helluva lot less upfront AND down the line. So as an average fast food worker probably shouldn't be choosing a new Aston to get to and from his job making fries at McDonalds, likewise the average gigging guitarist can earn his keep, and have more peace of mind, with a $300 Ibanez on the gig than with a $3200 PRS.

Ultimately, trying to convince another person of the relative value (or valuelessness) of something is a futile endeavor.

We each have different yardsticks and proclivities.

Even the fry cook at McDonalds may covet caviar and Moet, while Bill Gates wears DockSiders.

The only difference is the speed of acquisition.

The room as a whole is pretty simple and doesn't have much spare space. I don't have many photos of it handy, but at the risk of taking the thread off topic:
View from the back of the piano - might be my favourite view in the house.
CK_085ThroughThePianoAAA.JPG

Pretty washed out, but all I have handy to show the view from the other side.
CK_29CasesLitAndFull.JPG

I dig it. Glad you took the thread where you took it.

No no, that's not the equation. The equation is the 90/10 issue, the AstonMartin equation: How much $$ am I willing to invest in my "daily driver"?? A Toyota will get you from point A to point B just as certainly as will an Aston. It will certainly not be quite as refined a ride, but you also will not be so upset if it acquires a scratch - and you'll pay a helluva lot less upfront AND down the line. So as an average fast food worker probably shouldn't be choosing a new Aston to get to and from his job making fries at McDonalds, likewise the average gigging guitarist can earn his keep, and have more peace of mind, with a $300 Ibanez on the gig than with a $3200 PRS.

I'm glad you posted this, and I liked your post because I like you. But I disagree.

Sure, the average gigging guitarist can earn his keep and have peace of mind with a cigar box guitar if he/she wants, but that's not the point at all.

But which "average gigging guitarist" are you talking about? Everyone's needs/wants/tones/tools are different. And that's a good thing!

The point is that choices are very personal, and one person's "rules" are another persons head-scratcher.

I'm glad you posted this, and I liked your post because I like you. But I disagree.

Sure, the average gigging guitarist can earn his keep and have peace of mind with a cigar box guitar if he/she wants, but that's not the point at all.

But which "average gigging guitarist" are you talking about? Everyone's needs/wants/tones/tools are different. And that's a good thing!

The point is that choices are very personal, and one person's "rules" are another persons head-scratcher.

Do agree with Les' statement (Hi Les, I'm Steve), I play all my PRS's. I have held off on badgering my wife for a PS as I yet undecided as to what I spec. I have bought a couple of player's conditions early 90's guitars to satisfy a curiosity that I held. Needless to say the first I received has been worthwhile. The PS will come one day and will be played, it might get dropped and the headstock smacked into something, but it is meant to be played. I don't buy new that much, I have two Nordstrand basses that you cannot get quickly or cheaply in Australia, but heavy usage has led to dings, wear and tear and I kinda like it.. Not to say I mistreat my guitars, I look after them but like a car they show the miles.

I was not posting that as any sort of 'rule'. Just a calculation, just a way that I approach these things. Certainly when I was on the circuit I encountered guys playing $2500 Les Paul's and 335s and whatnot... and never once said anything to them. Though they were seemingly always eager to volunteer to tell you how much they had paid for their prized guitar lol

Hi Steve!

Heh

I was not posting that as any sort of 'rule'. Just a calculation, just a way that I approach these things. Certainly when I was on the circuit I encountered guys playing $2500 Les Paul's and 335s and whatnot... and never once said anything to them. Though they were seemingly always eager to volunteer to tell you how much they had paid for their prized guitar lol

Bleah, cannot stand people who talk about what their gear is worth, it's overcompensation for a lack in other areas. :eek::D:p

Back