What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

László

Too Many Notes
I just felt this would be a fun topic for the Forum, and an excuse to post pics!

I'm trying to figure out if I even have a "best playing/feeling" PRS, since I'm digging the ones I have about equally, even though they're not the same scale length, neck profile, etc.

Each one has it's "feel" merits, and none have demerits that I can figure out. So I'm still thinking it over.

It's easiest right now for me to play my CU24 30th, because it has a Pattern Regular neck, and the others are Pattern, but that's only because my fretting hand has an ulnar nerve problem that's interfering with my playing, so the slightly narrower neck is temporarily easier for the fingers to get leverage on.

However that definitely wasn't the case when my hand was healthy, they were all about equally easy to play, and the wider necks had an advantage in other ways.

So I'm holding off, for now, but still like the idea of this thread.

How about you guys? Got a favorite guitar for feel and playability?

Now that is a tough one to answer. In all seriousness, in part because it depends how I feel.
I'll give it a shot anyway. First one that feels special every time I pick it up. Yes, it is quite blingy, but I can play it in the dark with my eyes closed and it always feels good. I've told the story of how I came to it elsewhere, but I am the original owner and have only ever played original music on it. I feel it deserves that.
CK_090DragonHeadTailDetailAAA.JPG

the neck is a big part of the feel
CK_215DragonNeckDetailAAA.JPG

There are times though when a hollow body is what is most comfortable in my hands. This one happened to be inside the white case I bought after PRSh handed by a sapphire 25th anniversary dragon. It may be my most frequently played PRS since I got it - in large part because it is the guitar I usually travel with.
CK_116SapphireHollowbody.JPG

I order all mine with DGT/6100 frets and an 11.5" fretboard radius. Those two factors make any PRS neck profile comfortable for me, but playability/comfort is scandalously good with those specs on a 24.5" scale DC guitar.

The neck on my BRW McCarty is amazing. Smooth as a baby's butt and it hasn't needed a set-up in years...

Probably my SE Akesson with jumbo frets, ebony board, and 24.5 scale. Not the show stopper that the above guitars are, but it feels fantastic!

I too have to say that my SE feels the best. It's a 2006 Custom 22 with a tremolo.
For some reason, I cannot get my Core 2002 CU 22 to feel as good as that one...

This question is very hard to answer because there all so good and all so different.

Lately I've been playing my 5909 a lot and I can finally say I'm comfortable with a W/F neck carve, not to mention using 10's instead of 9's. But to be fair, the neck is rosewood, so that helps... :)

5909_back_zps23f4c2bc.jpg

5909_3_crop_zpsc04ee12b.jpg

Last edited:
I went out to the trunk of my car to dig my micrometers out an' try to give a detailed and scientific account of the hows and whys of my fav/best playing and found a copy of The Three Amigos DVD instead, so it'll have to wait.

Trip, trip, trip, trip, Neddy!!!!

If it's an excuse to post pics, then my best PRS is hands-down my 408.
Which happens to be my **only** PRS :D

Anyway, here it is on its own, and with a few of my other fave guitars.

ad2c3e3352379ebefff6e4e70f412e46_zpsrimrtssn.jpg

d7a4718acba59a3cebe824f9eb01e7ea_zps8gmucfxs.jpg

The combination of the Honduran rosewood neck and the DGT shape (and frets) on my PS KingsleyDGT make it the sweetest and best-feeling PRS guitar I have. In fact it's probably the sweetest and best-feeling guitar I have. I don't know why Honduran RW feels better than Brazilian or Indian but it does. (I own multiple examples of each)

PRS_PS_3825_v3.jpg

So I move between all my babies pretty equally

But when headed to a Jam I usually would grab my 408 Standard first ( Pattern rosewood neck :) )

Then it would be between the MEII and the CU22 ( The ME just kills tone wise but I do miss a trem )

The pattern regular cut of my custom 24 feels absolutely perfect in my hand! The pattern thin of my tremonti is a close second. I actually got the tremonti because I am not a fan of the pattern neck, feels too Gibsony to me. I don't like the cut of my les Paul at all.

All my guitars seem to do something for the mood i'm in and I play them all but my cus 24 ("and I understand it's the most expensive lol") is just on a different planet. so glad I took the time and effort to get this baby.

Color me odd but between my DGT and SE Bernie.... I like the feel and sound of the Bernie better. I strangely cannot explain in words. Two different animals but I still yet have to "fall in love" with my DGT.

All of them. Playability and comfort is one of the big things about PRS for me. When I got my Holcomb, I thought the wide thin, scale and radius difference would be huge, but it still feels comfy like any PRS. The new Standard I got (first vibrato, regular carve) feels just perfect as well. Of course, the wide-fat carve on my SC's I very used to. I don't know....I really wouldn't have an issue grabbing any of my PRS'S for a gig or recording session......I suppose that is a good thing. ;)

I can't be bothered photographing my guitars.. I've got three prs which is two more the I need. I only play the one, most every day, about ten hours a week and that's the cu24 30th Ann, private stock. It has the pattern regular neck and sounds nice through the Mesa 5 and recto horizontal cab. The cab gives it a really nice low down thump, and when I roll the guitar tone off it almost sounds smooth. Nothing wrong with the kit. This neck is fine for power chords, flat picking and finger picking.

Well I only have 2 PRS, but the longer I have my wood library 30th CU24, the more I love it. The satin birdseye maple neck and blackwood fingerboard feel so nice, and the trem makes the string tension feel slinkier to me than the same strings on my P22 stoptail. Both of them are pattern regular necks.
While it won't surprise me if my fickle tastes shift some day, I've come to feel that the CU24 is the instrument I was meant to play. The tones perfectly suit my original material, in most cases better than the great guitars by other famous brands that I wrote/recorded the tunes with originally. I love the P22 as well, but tend to reserve it for things that need the piezo or altered tunings (due to the stoptail).
Enough gushing - here's a pic of my 30th:
IMG_5855_zpsbijnddlv.jpg

Here are both of my PRS' in the prime spots in my music room (and the other lonely guitars in the foreground and on the wall):

IMG_5905_zpsbroqy3d3.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
Back