What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

I'm an oddball... My new 513...

0211162044_zps9hlbkgei.jpg

Not so odd, the 513 carve on my 07 is the hardest yet the most rewarding, combined with heavy gauge strings (11's)

Man so a week back I started playing my single cut trem and I have to say I love the feel of it. I'm definitely changing the pickups to 57/08s or mby a mule and something else in the neck (currently #6 pickups). I didn't really think much about the fat neck but now playing it, I v grown to like it alot and seems to add alot to the big sound. I'm also considering an hfs and a Floyd Rose but time will tell.
My previous best was my first floyd custom24, it's just awesome that I'm bonding with the single cut trem so much, seeing it was my least favourite.

Some thought related to the original idea behind Les' thread: So, how long does NGD/GAS excitement last? I see these contributions on new arrivals in this thread and wonder. Most new arrivals feel excitingly right (adrenalin driven or so?!?), but it took years for me to figure out which neck and guitar I prefer most. Don't get me wrong here: I have added here my last month acquisition of the Mira X myself, but I can't say now that it will be another go-to guitar in e.g. a year from now. For the 20th Anniversary Std24 I can say that it has made it through the proof-of-time.

Some thought related to the original idea behind Les' thread: So, how long does NGD/GAS excitement last? I see these contributions on new arrivals in this thread and wonder. Most new arrivals feel excitingly right (adrenalin driven or so?!?), but it took years for me to figure out which neck and guitar I prefer most. Don't get me wrong here: I have added here my last month acquisition of the Mira X myself, but I can't say now that it will be another go-to guitar in e.g. a year from now. For the 20th Anniversary Std24 I can say that it has made it through the proof-of-time.

For me it's typically only a couple of days. Something is typically doing it for me or it's not, and if it's not I tend to loose interest really quick.

Great thread, Les!!

I would have to say for me, without a doubt, that it is my Orange Glow PS DC 245 Ted!

Being spec'ed and built, and from Paul's hands to mine:

IMG_0075.JPG

20141008_185027.jpeg

img_4997-jpg.2516

img_5841-jpg.2526

img_5844-jpg.2527

First gig in Ottawa in April of 2015:

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

It is really the culmination of my love affair and obsession with consuming and playing PRS guitars since 2008. And the DC 245 Ted has been front and center in that obsession since the first Limited Run was introduced in 2009. I did stray a bit in the 2010-2012 range to other 25" scale PRSi, but mostly because the cool models coming out over that time were 25" scale guitars. When I started with the Private Stock program in 2012, it was like opening up a whole new universe, where I could do my short scale DC's any way I wanted them!!

This one was my 4th PS with an Obeche body, and this particular one sounds AMAZING! Weighs 6.5 pounds, good for my bad back, but does not sacrifice for tone at all, sounds HUGE! I was very careful on how I picked the neck and body for this guitar, I made sure they were very resonant pieces of wood. For the Obeche that was funny as that wood is not kept in the vault, and as raw wood it smells like dead fish, and I was pretty insistent that they bring up a whole dolly full of Obeche body blanks to choose the most musical piece from the pile. (Paul Miles was quite pleased about that! ;))

The way a lightweight DC Ted hangs on a strap just feels prefect to me, the guitar is so compact and everything is just so accessible.

This one is my first one with DGT controls, I really like that while gigging, you can set the neck volume lower for a subtle blues/rock rhythm tone and flip to the bridge for a lead tone. The 58/15 pickups are my favorite PRS PAF pickup yet, they sound amazing and split really well. (My 408-equipped DC 245 Obeche Ted sounded good as well, but to me this one sounds better - perhaps as much the luck of the draw on the sum of the parts of the woods as the pickups? I no longer have that one, this one replaced it in the collection.)

Visually this one is really special to me as well, it basically captures everything I have loved about the several Private Stocks I have purchased and built. I did Orange/Citrus Glow again, same as with my McCarty Singlecut, and binding stained yellow like the MSC, which REALLY gives it that Vintage vibe, and also the Ted/Santana headstock with a matching quilted veneer. Also I did Brown Lip MOP Birds with regular MOP outlines, I really dig those. Note the headstock eagle actually has the three pieces in Gold MOP, Brown Lip MOP and Black Lip MOP, with a regular MOP outline, that came out really nice.

PS5433%2B03.jpg

PS5433%2B07.jpg

PS5433%2B08.jpg

I am very sensitive to Neck Carves, Scale Lengths and Fret types. I guess that is from playing and gigging DC 245 Ted's with Wide Fat / Pattern Necks and DGT Frets 90%+ of the time for the past 7 years! I love the WF and Pattern Neck carves, they feel fantastic. (This one is a WF.) The Pattern Regular nut width is too narrow for me, I don't get along well with those. Since getting used to DC 245 Ted's and SC 245's/MSC's, 25" scale PRS guitars that I have sampled have stayed in the collection long.

My matching MSC is a close second, tone wise it is the best PRS I have owned (for humbucker tones), but the DC 245 ergonomics are better for me playing out, and 6.5 pounds is much preferred over 8.75. ;) Also having the split tones is really required for me for the band, and I don't have the MSC set up for that.

Beauty%2Bof%2Bthe%2BBurst.jpg

I am really looking forward to checking out the 594, that is a dream configuration for me, short scale DC with 2 volume 2 tone and two separate coil taps (I had already considered doing a DC like that!), and I dig the idea to put the 3 way on the upper horn, I never would have thought of that. I dig the look of the two piece bridge on a DC, I have been close to spec'ing that a couple of times on a DC as well. It has the wrong headstock shape, though, but I can easily fix that by spec'ing one of my own! ;)

The journey continues...

Last edited:
Some thought related to the original idea behind Les' thread: So, how long does NGD/GAS excitement last?

I'm just as thrilled to play any of my guitars as I was the day I got each one.

I still get a big smile opening the cases and pulling the guitars out for some work or practice. So there's that.

I think it varies from person to person.

I still get a big smile opening the cases and pulling the guitars out for some work or practice. So there's that.

I think it varies from person to person.

That's a good feeling.

That is a sign of making a good choice.
My longest 'new guitar feeling' was about 10 years. Didn't even look at other guitars very often. And I still love pulling it out to play.

I love my CE, the neck has lost it's finish and the fretboard edges are naturally rolled from 20+ years of sweat and boogers. Lately its been the KL with the thick Santana neck carve and bulbous body... It's kinda like cuddling with a fat girl.

Great thread, Les!!

I would have to say for me, without a doubt, that it is my Orange Glow PS DC 245 Ted!

IMG_0075.JPG

20141008_185027.jpeg

img_4997-jpg.2516

img_5841-jpg.2526

img_5844-jpg.2527

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

It is really the culmination of my love affair and obsession with consuming and playing PRS guitars since 2008. And the DC 245 Ted has been front and center in that obsession since the first Limited Run was introduced in 2009. I did stray a bit in the 2010-2012 range to other 25" scale PRSi, but mostly because the cool models coming out over that time were 25" scale guitars. When I started with the Private Stock program in 2012, it was like opening up a whole new universe, where I could do my short scale DC's any way I wanted them!!

This one was my 4th PS with an Obeche body, and this particular one sounds AMAZING! Weighs 6.5 pounds, good for my bad back, but does not sacrifice for tone at all, sounds HUGE! I was very careful on how I picked the neck and body for this guitar, I made sure they were very resonant pieces of wood. For the Obeche that was funny as that wood is not kept in the vault, and as raw wood it smells like dead fish, and I was pretty insistent that they bring up a whole dolly full of Obeche body blanks to choose the most musical piece from the pile. (Paul Miles was quite pleased about that! ;))

The way a lightweight DC Ted hangs on a strap just feels prefect to me, the guitar is so compact and everything is just so accessible.

This one is my first one with DGT controls, I really like that while gigging, you can set the neck volume lower for a subtle blues/rock rhythm tone and flip to the bridge for a lead tone. The 58/15 pickups are my favorite PRS PAF pickup yet, they sound amazing and split really well. (My 408-equipped DC 245 Obeche Ted sounded good as well, but to me this one sounds better - perhaps as much the luck of the draw on the sum of the parts of the woods as the pickups? I no longer have that one, this one replaced it in the collection.)

Visually this one is really special to me as well, it basically captures everything I have loved about the several Private Stocks I have purchased and built. I did Orange/Citrus Glow again, same as with my McCarty Singlecut, and binding stained yellow like the MSC, which REALLY gives it that Vintage vibe, and also the Ted/Santana headstock with a matching quilted veneer. Also I did Brown Lip MOP Birds with regular MOP outlines, I really dig those. Note the headstock eagle actually has the three pieces in Gold MOP, Brown Lip MOP and Black Lip MOP, with a regular MOP outline, that came out really nice.

PS5433%2B03.jpg

PS5433%2B07.jpg

PS5433%2B08.jpg

I am very sensitive to Neck Carves, Scale Lengths and Fret types. I guess that is from playing and gigging DC 245 Ted's with Wide Fat / Pattern Necks and DGT Frets 90%+ of the time for the past 7 years! I love the WF and Pattern Neck carves, they feel fantastic. (This one is a WF.) The Pattern Regular nut width is too narrow for me, I don't get along well with those. Since getting used to DC 245 Ted's and SC 245's/MSC's, 25" scale PRS guitars that I have sampled have stayed in the collection long.

My matching MSC is a close second, tone wise it is the best PRS I have owned (for humbucker tones), but the DC 245 ergonomics are better for me playing out, and 6.5 pounds is much preferred over 8.75. ;) Also having the split tones is really required for me for the band, and I don't have the MSC set up for that.

I am really looking forward to checking out the 594, that is a dream configuration for me, short scale DC with 2 volume 2 tone and two separate coil taps (I had already considered doing a DC like that!), and I dig the idea to put the 3 way on the upper horn, I never would have thought of that. I dig the look of the two piece bridge on a DC, I have been close to spec'ing that a couple of times on a DC as well. It has the wrong headstock shape, though, but I can easily fix that by spec'ing one of my own! ;)

The journey continues...

That DC245 header eagle is FAKING BADASS.

WOW, whatta beauty!!!

Great thread, Les!!

IMG_0075.JPG

20141008_185027.jpeg

img_4997-jpg.2516

img_5841-jpg.2526

img_5844-jpg.2527

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

PS5433%2B03.jpg

PS5433%2B07.jpg

PS5433%2B08.jpg

The journey continues...

Great thread, Les!!

IMG_0075.JPG

20141008_185027.jpeg

img_4997-jpg.2516

img_5841-jpg.2526

img_5844-jpg.2527

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

PS5433%2B03.jpg

PS5433%2B07.jpg

PS5433%2B08.jpg

The journey continues...
Geez man that's nice! I really enjoy the 245's too, and yours is off the charts man! Nice to see the PS getting "gigged" too.
Ronnie D

That's the fun of of it all for me, being "the journey" of GAS! I've owned probably waaaayy too many guitars over the years, but boy, I've sure enjoyed them all, and, still do! Everything from what models my heros played to what my own inspirations seemed to dictate, to finally the the wonderful world of prs guitars, which is where I've ultimately landed. For me, sound and feel come first and second, and looks certainly don't hurst neither. I've also come to appreciate varying neck sizes and string gauges, though 11's seem to be what I've finally settled on after roughly 35 years of playing.
RonnieD

That's the fun of of it all for me, being "the journey" of GAS! I've owned probably waaaayy too many guitars over the years, but boy, I've sure enjoyed them all, and, still do! Everything from what models my heros played to what my own inspirations seemed to dictate, to finally the the wonderful world of prs guitars, which is where I've ultimately landed. For me, sound and feel come first and second, and looks certainly don't hurst neither. I've also come to appreciate varying neck sizes and string gauges, though 11's seem to be what I've finally settled on after roughly 35 years of playing.
RonnieD

Sure, Ronnie, I'm with you on that. I owned in 19 years of playing more than 100 guitars, incl. 8 PRSs (Maryland made ones). The ratio of keepers is quite high with 6 that are still around (in comparison to Gibson: Only one, a highly modded LP Special made it). But when it comes to best-playing-feeling-prs, the question has an element of sustainability to be factored in. But that's maybe just me and is not supposed to force my opinion on anyone else.

Peace and keep on rockin'!

Back