What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

Best feel so far: The satin finished PRS Std24 20th Anniversary with Wide Thin neck, and so beautiful 20th anniversry birds work by Joe Knaggs:

Just put a picture as header that does these beauties justice! Looks, plays and feels like a dream. The 20th Anniversary was IMHO another climax in build quality and design refinement!

Just put a picture as header that does these beauties justice! Looks, plays and feels like a dream. The 20th Anniversary was IMHO another climax in build quality and design refinement!

I had a climax when my 20th Anniversary model arrived.

I had a climax when my 20th Anniversary model arrived.

Well there's the answer to that question - the guitar came first.

But I guess we knew that because the guitar was already smoking.

Ace_smoke.jpg

Hi Ronnie, the mass does seem to have an effect, but it seems to depend on what I want out of a guitar for a given thing. As an example, my McCarty maple neck Wood Library guitar is pretty darn light for a McCarty, and while it doesn't have quite the oomph of some of my heavier guitars, there's a very sweet, almost hollow vibe to the tone that's awfully cool, especially on the neck pickup.

But, interesting post, I enjoyed reading it!
I agree totally with your post as well (especially your reference to the neck pick up, I have similar experiences with the 57/08 neck pup in my 245)

I don't think I can play another guitar that doesn't have pattern thin neck shape, with satin neck, honestly...
Both mine are great but the Wood Library one FEELS better. The neck feels like velvet.

LOL... evil response, considering all that expensive wood up above....

But mine is my Bernie Marsden. The neck shape is perfect. I sold my McCarty. Not much else to say on that.

LOL... evil response, considering all that expensive wood up above...

Doesn't really come as a surprise that there's some Xpensive wood referenced, huuh? Its a PRS forum, and a PRS in its very, very core is based on Paul's knowledge on wood selection, wood treatment and "sawing" it the right way, all at A PRICE. All other appointment are added to that, only: " The birds may inspire the player, but they don't create the good tone"!

Here we go! Taking my two lightweights (3kg resp. 6.6lbs for the Std24, 2.6kg resp. 5.7lbs for the Mira X) out:

I had a satin koa top DGT with celtic knots that I didn't keep. That guitar was so good it hurt. At the end of the day I just don't prefer satin tops so I let it go. I know where it's at so maybe one day...

:)

The satin feel in combination with the wide thin neck of the above shown Std24 20th Anniversary is definitely the PRS with the best feel for me, even better than the Modern Eagle II that I own. The only thing that I just didn't like 100% was the HFS/VB sound. I know this is about preferences and they are pickups that are admired by a lot of us, but I had the same issue with a CE24 that I parted ways with. I got on so well with the sound of my CE22 that I put Dragon IIs into the Std24, too...and despite being usually spotted in 22 fret models, they do the trick for me!

Nice, Wolfen. With all that Orange I would expect you to be either Dutch or somewhere close to the Amp Company.

Nice, Wolfen. With all that Orange I would expect you to be either Dutch or somewhere close to the Amp Company.

Hmmm, maybe a tiny bit of both! I have worked for 10 years in The Netherlands and I own an Orange amp, but only a Micro Terror as backup for my Kasha Evil Robot Custom 214. All other PRSes are NOT orange. In the end, it's probably only coincidence! ;) ... I have no red guitars :eek::mad:

Back