What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

I played my CU 22 with WF neck for 5 years and always felt that the shoulders
Tires my grip after an hour or so, sold it and got another CU22 with pattern reg neck
And instantly felt more comfortable so much in fact that I order my 513 AP with PR neck
But this time with solid IRW neck and ebony FB so now I want to get an SC but I'm afraid
I became spoiled because this neck is so smooth and comfy I can't decide which one I would
Choose since the majority comes with WF necks:(

I find the Pattern Reg extremely comfy, too, though I don't have trouble playing the WF or Pattern. I'm probably a little more sensitive to neck shapes now that my hand is screwed up, in that I now seem to notice them more than before, but it still doesn't make so much of a difference that it causes a problem. For me, setup is now a more important issue, the fingers have become weak enough to need a bit lower action than I usually like.

Still, here's the thing:

If I was much more comfortable with the Pattern Reg, and less so with the SC, I'd just get a DGT.

The neck is a lot like the Pattern Reg, the tone is a lot like an SC in that it's got that fat and vintage 'bucker thing happening, it has the two pickup volume controls, and if it won't give your hand problems. Plus, it's an utterly superb guitar!

If I was in your shoes, I'd get one of those, and never think about an SC.

My order of preference is Wide Fat followed by a tie between Pattern and Pattern Regular.

The thin carves don't do much for me, that little bit of 'meat' on the back helps a lot with my big hands.

That said, many dealers have told me those carves are the most popular by a long shot... so I must be an anomaly!

Last edited:
I find the Pattern Reg extremely comfy, too, though I don't have trouble playing the WF or Pattern. I'm probably a little more sensitive to neck shapes now that my hand is screwed up, in that I now seem to notice them more than before, but it still doesn't make so much of a difference that it causes a problem. For me, setup is now a more important issue, the fingers have become weak enough to need a bit lower action than I usually like.

Still, here's the thing:

If I was much more comfortable with the Pattern Reg, and less so with the SC, I'd just get a DGT.

The neck is a lot like the Pattern Reg, the tone is a lot like an SC in that it's got that fat and vintage 'bucker thing happening, it has the two pickup volume controls, and if it won't give your hand problems. Plus, it's an utterly superb guitar!

If I was in your shoes, I'd get one of those, and never think about an SC.

Actually Les, when I decided on the 513 I was torn between it and between the DGT but went with the 513
to get that SC tones, and a every time I see a DGT ( like the purple one I saw today on the other forum) I drool over it
but wanting an SC is mostly sentimental desire I guess, since I always wanted a LP but could not afford back in the day
and I do like that growl and the thick tone of an SC, but the DGT is definitely on my radar (till the coffers replenish with doubloons)
Thanks Les I always rely on your wise advice and hope you'll find a speedy treatment to the nerve problem.

I spend years chasing down the best cheap ( or DEAL ) guitars ( thrill of the chase ) Ibanez Artcore Fender MIM PRS SE my high end guitars were even sub 1K all my guitars played well but most would move on to fund another purchase or just a change of direction. ( I think I spent more time buying and selling than playing )
Then I got my first Core PRS ( about 5 years ago ) there was something different there that bonded with me, more sustain, less effort, more consistency. I found I no longer needed all the compressors or as much gain all the time my playing improved and as it improved I wanted to play more and I improved again. That to me is the essence of what a great instrument can do and that justifies the price paid ( I do get most of my guitars used so I still dig a bargain )
I don't own a PS ( yet ) I also don't play for money or gig ( yet ) but my PRS make me long to play, I miss the time I can't play and I LOVE to look at the beauty of them.
Most people who see my guitars up close notice the quality and beauty and those who ask what they go for don't seem surprised as I've seen end tables go for more than some of my guitars
After the family needs are met it is such a personal decision on what one does with his or her life, I just like guitars

Frets worn out and still my #1

IMG_2344.jpg

Best feel so far: The satin finished PRS Std24 20th Anniversary with Wide Thin neck, and so beautiful 20th Anniversary birds work by Joe Knaggs:

Last edited:
My Marsden!

Yes, it's my only PRS at the moment but I've owned and played a LOT of guitars over the past 20 or so years (As many of us here have).

The Marsden's custom shape (Based on Bernie's '59 LP) is as close to perfection as I have ever felt. Probably followed by the Hamer I once owned and my Strat.

But this is now...

10 years ago I may well have loved the WT of the C24 I owned and hated the chunkier Marsden neck.

These days my hands cramp son small necks. Infact I have a cheap Yamaha Pacifica that I can't really play now because my hand cramps up. I'll give it to my son one day.

These days my hands cramp son small necks. Infact I have a cheap Yamaha Pacifica that I can't really play now because my hand cramps up. I'll give it to my son one day.

Hand problems...uggghhhh...I never really understood what that was like until mine started.

I changed my mind. I busted out the awesome Brians WL 408SH after letting it sit for a couple months, lol, and forgot how much I loved the neck carve on it... it just, fits :) The tone isn't half bad either

My best playing/feeling prs is my Private Stock DC 245. The weight (just over 7lbs), feel, resonance, 57/08's, everything just align beautifully. However, best feeling/playing doesn't necessarily mean best sounding I'm my experience. My other prs, a Private Stock dgt, a little heavier at about 8.5 lbs, slightly narrower neck, absolutely kills sound wise, and it's a little more versatile, probably due to the dual volume controls. I also had the same experience with a couple other brands which I won't name. I find at times (though not the rule) that heavier guitars sound great compared to their lighter counterparts.
RonnieD

I changed my mind. I busted out the awesome Brians WL 408SH after letting it sit for a couple months, lol, and forgot how much I loved the neck carve on it... it just, fits :) The tone isn't half bad either

Wow, that is gorgeous.

I find at times (though not the rule) that heavier guitars sound great compared to their lighter counterparts.
RonnieD

Hi Ronnie, the mass does seem to have an effect, but it seems to depend on what I want out of a guitar for a given thing. As an example, my McCarty maple neck Wood Library guitar is pretty darn light for a McCarty, and while it doesn't have quite the oomph of some of my heavier guitars, there's a very sweet, almost hollow vibe to the tone that's awfully cool, especially on the neck pickup.

But, interesting post, I enjoyed reading it!

I like the idea that a good guitar is part of the circle of art: it is art and is used to create more art.

Circle of Art, huh... ...so I was at the Met last Friday night (the famous NYC art museum) to attend the event at which my friend Ken Parker's new archtop guitar was introduced into the museum's permanent collection.

After a brief introduction by the curator, there was a concert by a few high-end guitarist/composer types. All playing Ken's guitars. (in all there were 5 guitars in attendance that night)

12657987_10153237653057455_5088666005690386450_o.jpg

After the formal part, a whole bunch of us relocated a few blocks down 5th Avenue to an "after party." Eventually the guitars came out and this happened. That's me facing toward the camera in the red/purple shirt. That's Steve Miller (yeah, THAT Steve Miller) in the black shirt, farthest to the left in the photo. An impromptu jam that lasted for an hour or so. (you can also see Ken P in the mirror, in the orange shirt)

12654321_1046080672112888_8611673394020618628_n.jpg

Both musical segments were extremely well received. At the end of the day, even with five $30K (+) guitars it's all about the music. And the music can just as well be "blues in G" as a commissioned-for-this-event piece by a guy who is (a) Wynton Marsalis' first-call guitarist, and (b) does a lot of work composing for Ken Burns. (that's Doug Wamble, who's in the center of the first photo)

I liked your post, because it was an interesting side-trip, Kingsley, but the question really was, "What's your best playing/feeling PRS?"

So now, without further ado, back to our Inquiring Minds Want To Know Question, What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS...

I liked your post, because it was an interesting side-trip, Kingsley, but the question really was, "What's your best playing/feeling PRS?"

So now, without further ado, back to our Inquiring Minds Want To Know Question, What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS...

Well I already answered that question. And my answer hasn't changed.

But I guess what I responded to was old news -- from last Wednesday or some such -- so I guess it must appear to be a non-sequitur. Sorry. I'll shut up and go to bed now.

Well I already answered that question. And my answer hasn't changed.

But I guess what I responded to was old news -- from last Wednesday or some such -- so I guess it must appear to be a non-sequitur. Sorry. I'll shut up and go to bed now.

Nah, it was a very interesting post. About art and such. All good!

I just didn't want the train to get derailed.

Back