What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

Heh

Bleah, cannot stand people who talk about what their gear is worth, it's overcompensation for a lack in other areas. :eek::D:p

I feel the same way.

I also don't like it when folks brag about what a steal they got on some deal. That's great, keep it to yourself, you're not a genius because some poor schm^ck had to sell cheap.

One just came up second-hand here in the UK... Not mine, obviously, but you may have a rare opportunity...

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/prs-usa-mk1-starla-with-rosewood-neck-used.htm

1453911865_7924.jpg

WOWZERS! That's beautiful with the Rosewood neck... some UK brother or sister should mortgage the cat and jump on that... (ps, I lurve my Starla too)

Following the thread, I'm of the mind that all my guitars are "players", and only the first ding hurts really... my most gigged guitar is my 25th Anniversary Custom, and it's earned a few battle scars, as have my Sunburst 22 and my Mira... I actually had a player come up to me between sets once and tell me it was a shame I brought such a nice guitar to a bar gig... :rolleyes: ...but I don't know that I have a "best playing" in my stable; I have guitars I favour for periods of time (right now it's my recently acquired Hollowbody II SC) but all the PRS guitars I have play almost effortlessly... it's one of the chief appeals of the brand to me...

Last edited:
Funny how this has drifted to money. I'm pretty sure none of my guitars know what I spent for them, or treat me any differently based on what I paid.

I like solid construction, attention to detail in the workmanship, aesthetically appealing (highly subjective) and I like it to feel comfortable in my hands. Granted, at some price points that is hard to get.

I've been putting off this thread. I am not ultra sensitive to neck shape. All the PRS carves feel comfortable to me. Scale length doesn't affect me much either. I'm fine on a 24.5 and 25(I don't have any others). So, I move to fretboard wood. My Braz boards feel the best to me. They are smoother in bending notes under my fingers. My PS has the nicest feeling board.

Now if I'm sitting on the couch or in my chair watching TV in an abnormal playing position, I might give the edge to my CU22 since it has the wide thin neck. So it's slightly easier to play out of proper playing position. My black McCarty std also can be of an advantage because it's very light weight. But if I'm standing up and in a normal playing position, I'd give the smoother Brazzy boards the edge.

One just came up second-hand here in the UK... Not mine, obviously, but you may have a rare opportunity...

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/prs-usa-mk1-starla-with-rosewood-neck-used.htm
Thanks Whitecat but I live in the states...As gorgeous as that one is, I think it might be cost prohibitive to buy and ship it here...And thanks for the link to Peach guitars, it's been a while since I looked at their stock. They have some nice ones, especially their PS Bernie.

I assume this means your in the UK also? I still want first shot at yours if you ever sell but I have a feeling that's an unlikely event.

Thanks Whitecat but I live in the states...As gorgeous as that one is, I think it might be cost prohibitive to buy and ship it here...And thanks for the link to Peach guitars, it's been a while since I looked at their stock. They have some nice ones, especially their PS Bernie.

I assume this means your in the UK also? I still want first shot at yours if you ever sell but I have a feeling that's an unlikely event.

I am indeed in the UK!

Drop 'em a line and tell John Scott sent you, you never know.

You do definitely hold the dibs, but it might be a cold-dead-hands kinda axe, it's that good. ;)

Came to the conclusion tonight that my best feeling/playing PRS is the first HB I bought, a McCarty Hollowbody 1 Spruce. My main live guitar is a McCarty HB1 with a piezo strictly for utilitarian reasons - it serves my bands whole set better then the spruce does (sadly). I feel much more comfortable and at ease with the spruce then the other guitar as far as the neck feels, the acoustic undertones. All things considered, it's kind of funny

My best playing guitar tends to be the one I'm playing now. I always think it's the greatest guitar ever made, i'll play it to the exclusion of all others. Then, after a couple of months, i'll pull out another guitar, and I'll be like, "why did I put this in the closet? This is the greatest guitar ever!" The sad part is, I recognize the cycle, I just can't break it.

Last edited:
My best playing tends to be the one I'm playing now. I always think it's the greatest guitar ever made, i'll play it to the exclusion of all others. Then, after a couple of months, i'll pull out another guitar, and I'll be like, "why did I put this in the closet? Thus is the greatest guitar ever!" The sad part is, I recognize the cycle, I just can't break it.

I'm still a "guitar for a purpose" guy, so each one gets used for a particular thing (or things) it does. The McCarty Singlecut is the most different from my double-cuts, and gets used when I want that HUGE, thick sound.

The 30th Ann. CU24 is more of a precision instrument, and does its thing in a different way. I love the openness and clarity it has, also the midrange focus.

I'm still learning the 20th PS Ann. guitar, but it carves out a sonic territory that's pretty special. Of course, the unique "quack" the split coil positions are something the other ones don't do, but I'm finding that the middle pickup is a go-to for rhythm tones, and the neck pickup is the most open neck humbucker tone I have. This one also has the most "bloom" from a picked note or chord. The bloom and sustain are amazing, really.

The McCarty with maple neck is my workhorse guitar. There's some overlap with the others, but the maple neck gives it a different vibe, a lot of snap. I still wish the neck had a gloss finish.

. I feel much more comfortable and at ease with the spruce then the other guitar as far as the neck feels, the acoustic undertones.
As an owner of an HB II with piezo and a spruce top HB, I feel exactly the same as you do for the same reasons. When I purchased the HB II, my plan was to sell my spruce top HB, thank God I procrastinated (a core competency of mine):)

A-freakin-men. Now, the rivots on jeans are another story. Just pull the tee shirt out of your pants, grandpa.[/QUOTWatch yourself, Boogie. Next thing you`ll tell me to push my jeans down so they don`t touch my armpits. We gettin` too modern here!

As far as guitars go, I have a Tremonti SE custom, that increases my pulse every time I pick it up. It was gutted and everything was replaced with USA components. Aside from the neck feel, it simply lets me make sounds I can`t make on any other guitar. It weighs 10+ pounds, but I can do almost anything I can think of on it.

I wish I could say which one of mine plays best, but out of 8 on the rack with 2 more on the way - many feel different, in spite of identical neck profiles or finish. I'm also newly back into PRS and playing after a long hiatus, and in the process of starting a hoard/getting them all playable and dialed in.

A big part of the PRS draw for me is the overall feel of the guit. Beautifully crafted but (at least the solid bodies) they are built like a brick house. The bodies tend to feel more similar to me, while necks are what make me get a particular guit for a specific playing style.

I grew up on early CEs with wide/thin necks. Right now I really like the feel of the 2015 S2 CU22SH. Super slick, glossy painted neck. But I also like the neck on my 88 CE - finish worn off in areas after many years of heavy use. The SE CU24 necks have their own thing going on. I'm still getting used to the different neck profiles and learning names. Lot more variety compared to 25 years ago :).

I wish I could say which one of mine plays best, but out of 8 on the rack with 2 more on the way - many feel different, in spite of identical neck profiles or finish. I'm also newly back into PRS and playing after a long hiatus, and in the process of starting a hoard/getting them all playable and dialed in.

A big part of the PRS draw for me is the overall feel of the guit. Beautifully crafted but (at least the solid bodies) they are built like a brick house. The bodies tend to feel more similar to me, while necks are what make me get a particular guit for a specific playing style.

I grew up on early CEs with wide/thin necks. Right now I really like the feel of the 2015 S2 CU22SH. Super slick, glossy painted neck. But I also like the neck on my 88 CE - finish worn off in areas after many years of heavy use. The SE CU24 necks have their own thing going on. I'm still getting used to the different neck profiles and learning names. Lot more variety compared to 25 years ago :).

It's hard to pick one, isn't it? Because you're right, even the same neck profile can feel different once all the hand work is done on the guitar, and the finish is on.

I played my CU 22 with WF neck for 5 years and always felt that the shoulders
Tires my grip after an hour or so, sold it and got another CU22 with pattern reg neck
And instantly felt more comfortable so much in fact that I order my 513 AP with PR neck
But this time with solid IRW neck and ebony FB so now I want to get an SC but I'm afraid
I became spoiled because this neck is so smooth and comfy I can't decide which one I would
Choose since the majority comes with WF necks:(

My current favourite PRS to play is my 2011 PRS experience with a Pattern Reg neck - love this thing to death lately and is my go to gigging guitar. I had another custom 24 that was pattern thin and just couldn't gel with it unfortunately.

While a bit cheeky (mod please let me know and I'll delete if not allowed) - here is my 2011 experience custom 24 in action on my bands new single (melodic punk rock)

I have three PRS, a Howard Leese Golden Eagle, a McCarty Shootout and a P22. All have different necks, the McCarty wide/fat, the P22 Pattern Regular and the Golden Eagle it's own unique carve. Plus the Golden Eagle is 24.5" scale length and the others are 25".

The thing is, all three immediately feel comfortable when I play them even though all are obviously and noticeably different from each other, but not massively so. The Golden Eagle has a similar width to the Pattern Regular but is much deeper, chunkier if you will. Maybe I'm not just that fussy about neck feel, maybe it's the quality of PRS build, regardless of neck sizes.

I guess I'm saying that the PRS I am playing at any particular time is the one that best suits my vibe and need, they are all great guitars in playability and feel. In that respect my 2013 P22 is every bit the equal of my Private Stock Golden Eagle.

My current favourite PRS to play is my 2011 PRS experience with a Pattern Reg neck - love this thing to death lately and is my go to gigging guitar. I had another custom 24 that was pattern thin and just couldn't gel with it unfortunately.

While a bit cheeky (mod please let me know and I'll delete if not allowed) - here is my 2011 experience custom 24 in action on my bands new single (melodic punk rock)

Dug the tune, dug the video, loved the guitar, and the playing. Nice work!

Back