What's Your Best Playing/Feeling PRS?

Awesome reply. Even though I'm the guy who keeps the 'good' towels aside for when company comes over while using the old rags for myself lol, I share your sentiment with musical instruments.

The only thing I will never do to it is deliberately abuse it, or allow myself to 'unconsciously' damage it. For example, I just don't grasp how belt buckle rash appears on a guitar - especially a $3000 PRS. It is SOOOO easy to shift the belt buckle over on your hip so you don't damage the guitar....

Which of course I forgot to do today when playing the new guitar. Until I heard a "clunk." Fortunately, no damage at all.

Still, I was a little angry at myself.

I invoke the succinct yet seminal advice from Stephen Stills ... "Love The One Your With."
So, whichever I'm playing at the time, that's my favourite.

I agree. I'm not an advocate of inflicting intentional damage. I couple years ago a friend I have was in a band headlining at a local theatre in Raleigh NC. There was a warm up band on just before them and the lead guitarist was playing a sweet Ce24. At the finale he started twirling around and letting it bump up against the speaker cabs and he even took it off waved it above his head as the crowd cheered. Then he gently slid it across the floor. It was apparent to me he was trying to relic it without causing too much damage. Seemed stupid to me. I'm not a fan of relicing in general, but honest wear is a badge of honor IMO.
Well.... I think relicing is silly. But waaaay back in the day I did abuse some Stratocasters onstage. Not to 'relic' them, but playing Deep Purple and Rainbow tends to lead to guitar abuse :D In fact I still have an old Ibanez Silver Series strat from around 1978 that needs some TLC.

This is like trying to rate Clapton, Stevie and Buddy - 1-2-3.

I really enjoy playing the CE22 with the wide fatty. The CU22 hog wide thin is next and the CE24 wide thin is "last".

I don't trust myself to remember to move a belt buckle, so I try to buy pants that fit me - then I don't need a belt.
A-freakin-men. Now, the rivots on jeans are another story. Just pull the tee shirt out of your pants, grandpa.

A-freakin-men. Now, the rivots on jeans are another story. Just pull the tee shirt out of your pants, grandpa.

Thanks, I do that, whippersnapper, but I forgot to do that today. Because I'm senile.

And I need a belt because I lost 38 pounds after open heart surgery.

It happens.

Now... get off my lawn.
giphy.gif

Thanks, I do that, whippersnapper, but I forgot to do that today. Because I'm senile.

And I need a belt because I lost 38 pounds after open heart surgery.

It happens.

Now... get off my lawn.
giphy.gif
One word...suspenders. Or, better yet, forget the pants, they're overrated.

Thank you -- I on the other hand, am a big fan of purple guitars. I do think I much prefer this "purple" to either amethyst (se color), Armando's amethyst, or violet (core colors). It was the closest I could get to a certain black raspberry guitar I saw on Sweetwater's site.

Dat rock maple neck, doe. Sweet as. Just enough texture to make it feel organic, but smooth as silk.

Thank you -- I on the other hand, am a big fan of purple guitars. I do think I much prefer this "purple" to either amethyst (se color), Armando's amethyst, or violet (core colors). It was the closest I could get to a certain black raspberry guitar I saw on Sweetwater's site.

Dat rock maple neck, doe. Sweet as. Just enough texture to make it feel organic, but smooth as silk.

Was it a limited run? That neck really stands out.

There is one at a local guitar shop in Australia, good excuse to try one out
I can't believe you haven't done just that yet Steve!

My best is my PTC modded DC3, it's got that impregnated finish in the maple neck which feels great, there's a nice round edge where your forearm goes, and it was setup by the PTC... I'm afraid to change anything for fear of not being able to get it back to where it is now!

All of that said I will be changing the trem one day, and I would prefer if it had a Regular D neck. I got one of those back in my hands the other day and loved the slightly more chunky feel of it, kinda in between a pattern reg and pattern if my hand memory serves me correctly.

I've been holding back because I just couldn't decide immediately, due to not enough experience and very little playing time in the last year. Despite having bought most of my guitars within that year. However, the last two nights I've been fooling around with the harem and the verdict is:

2cb67eb0-dd3e-4f25-a05b-3c01159684f3_zpsf4lk7oz9.jpg

My 2013 Paul's Guitar Standard MSL Limited Run from the wood library. Mahogany top and bottom with a pattern IRW neck and Brazilian fretboard. It feels better than my S2 CU22 Standard Satin. On the Satin, I can actually feel the grain through that super thin finish to the point that I will actually stop and look to see if somehow something got stuck to the back of the neck, like a smeared bugger or something. Nada, clean as a whistle. Don't get me wrong, it too feels great and plays great, but the Paul's just has it all. The neck and those 408's outshine everything and to me it is dropdead gorgeous. They're both standards, but one cost 4x more than the other (not really but that's my little secret). Plus my wife bought me that beautiful Paisley strap that has the brass goodies on it and it it perfectly matches the case (I only had to hint once about it).

But the truth is, I don't have an unsatisfactory PRS in the bunch. Love 'em all. I am a lucky man...

Last edited:
Was it a limited run? That neck really stands out.
Yup. "KID Ltd. rock maple neck wood library top" (KID being Korg International Distributors -- a name you may remember Paul reading several times during the dragon raffle). I got mine from Japan when exchange rates were in my favour. I did end up paying wood library prices, though, when all was said and done, due to shipping. If you have a friend who can read and write in Japanese, it'll eliminate the difficulty in communicating with them -- a lot of emails I got were borderline undecipherable even with Google translate.

And yes, it does -- I'm really happy with it.

Whatever you do, do not purchase the ridiculously expensive ones on eBay -- pretty sure that's a scam -- they had the exact same picture of mine for months after I bought mine. I went through Rakuten.

I did more damage to the back of a guitar wearing suspenders than I ever did with a belt or rivets.
I remember a thread about this, and I bought a couple of Musician's belts, also sometimes called Mechanics belts. I wear mine nearly every day whether I play or not. They are faster when you have to get down to business, if you know what I mean. :D

How does one play rock 'n' roll with one's shirt tucked in? Does not compute.

I wear my guitars high anyway, just above the buckle. Still mysteriously managed to get some marks on my S2 already. No clue how. They're tools. It happens.

I remember seeing some pics of nitro PRS guitars with checking. It happens. If you don't like checking, don't buy nitro.

That said, I appreciate taking extra care of the dearer guitars. When I play the bar full of drunk college kids, I don't bring the HBII!

Previously owned a Singlecut whose neck was wide fat. Didn't feel comfortable so I let her go and bought a Cu24 with pattern thin neck. For a PRS setting I think a Custom24 with thin neck feels best for me because of its optimum weight and relaxing neck carve.

BTW I've been hoping PRS fingerboard redius to become flatter to fit low action setting and shredding. I don't understand why they're sticking with outdated 10-inches radius while other main competitors have long gone compound or 14-inches.

Back