What was Your 1st PRS?

2001 McCarty. I bought it from Guitar Center sometime in 2002. I don't remember how many different guitars I played before I decided on that specific one, but it was the right color (purple), felt good, and was priced in my budget. I don't appear to have any pictures handy.

2000 McCarty Dark Cherry Sunburst 10 top. Sold my LP to buy it after earning my professional designation that takes a minimum of three years to get after college. American Music in Tacoma. Guitar played great, killer sound and was gorgeous. Now resides with my brother who is a patient and savvy buyer :). Had it for ten years - sold to find a 2011 Exp Ltd C24 in Burnt Almond which in turn was traded in on Miss Pernie.

AOTZ8bw.jpg

97 Custom 22 bought new in 97.

Been pondering posting this thread for a while and seeing someone post about their 1st PRS I feel this was as good a time as any to ask this. So here we go, what was your 1st PRSi, where did you get it, and what made you say, that is the one....
My first was/is a 2010 McCarty Smokeburst Wirth 57/08s that I bought used about 6-weeks-ago. I originally wanted a brand new Les Paul, but got frustrated after trying so many and finding quality so inconsistent and not finding one that really spoke to me within my $1500 budget.

Reading and then talking about guitars with people I trust led me to look for a used McCarty and while I did go slightly over budget ($1600 plus shipping), I am very happy with the instrument.

‘93 as I recall.

My first electric was a Magnatone in ‘64, and my first new electric that I still own is a ‘76 LP Black Beauty.
If your going first electric, then it was a 85 fender performer. I miss that strange guitar.

1991 CE24 bought new from Alpha Music in VA Beach with part of a reenlistment bonus.

I set my limit at 1K and decided on a Hamer. I walked out of Alpha with a T-shirt for my fiancé that cost $1,085 out the door. But I got them to throw the guitar in for free.

I had not even considered a PRS as they were a bit more than what I wanted to spend. At least that as what I thought.

In 2000 or 2001 I worked at a tattoo shop that was on the same block as a place called Zapf's Music who was an authorized PRS dealer at the time (it no longer exists). One of the employees there LOVED to get tattooed....and somehow, all of us tattoo artists LOVED to think we were musicians. I was in there browsing around and saw this WAY too expensive but WAY to gorgeous to pass up. So, I got him to give me his employee discount and worked out some tattoo work later on for him. I had no idea what I was buying. My playing definitely didn't justify that cost. But I just had to have it. And it has colored my thought process on what a guitar "should be" ever since. It was a custom 22 flamed 10 top with a natural finish and a wide fat neck profile. Dragon II pups and a stop bar tail piece........(can you tell it hooked me)? ;) The only pic I have of it was on 35mm film print and scanned into a computer .... but you get the idea. To this day, she is the one that got away. I sold her to get that last couple of grand together to get my own tattoo shop opened in 2002. And just that little over a year with her has made me a life long PRS fan.

10262258_10154243471490331_1883522218809944938_n.jpg

Back