What was Your 1st PRS?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Texas_minor_blues, Jul 29, 2019.

1. FunkyFreeman

FunkyFreeman Moo Panuwat

Sure. My 06 20th Ann. Singlecut AP with BRW board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grausch

grausch New Member

Wow! That is one hot guitar.

LSchefman and FunkyFreeman like this.
  3. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

FunkyFreeman, that's an exquisite first PRS!

Mine was an '89 Classic Electric which I scored from the local classified ads in about '92. I'd coveted PRS since the Harvey Citron review of the "PRS Guitar" in Guitar Player magazine in about '86 or '87. Never thought I'd be able to afford one, since those were my college days, then 6-7 years down the road, I snapped up that Classic for $700. Great deal. Rawk Machine! That one great deal led to a lot more of PRS' fine products filling up my home... I did let that guitar go, since honestly I like the newer ones better.

I have better pictures than this, er, somewhere...

[​IMG]

4. FunkyFreeman

FunkyFreeman Moo Panuwat

Thanks! It took me years for saving up, hahaha.

$700 for an original CE, what a steal! Hahaha. Nice guitar by the way!

5. Micky!

Micky! Dragon trainer

A 97 standard 22, bought used 10 years ago to my former guitar teacher. The wiring was messed up, and the frets needed to be leveled properly, after a descent check-up and the add of 2 push push it was a real beast. I finally sold it because I was founding this guitar a little too dark sounding for my taste.

Actually now that I own other PRS, I discovered that I clearly prefer PRS tremolo system (and also maple :)), but still fan of wide fat neck and dragon pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#45 Micky!, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  6. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

A CE24, I think it was a mid to late 90's, I can't remember. I sold it to a buddy of mine to fund a Custom 24.

7. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Dude that thing is rediculous:eek:!

FunkyFreeman and LSchefman like this.
  8. ScottR

Doooood! I love that one! Killer story too!

9. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby New Member

My first PRS was a 2011 CU24. I had two Gibson LPs that I was selling, and someone offered this to me in trade. I took it and never looked back. It's so comfortable to play, that I honestly don't know why I play anything else.

[​IMG]

10. Big Mike

Big Mike This space for rent

11. ScottR

Aww yeah! That one just made me giggle like a bashful school girl. Literally...:)

Alnus Rubra, Big Mike and bodia like this.
  12. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

After many years of playing (poorly) and collecting many other brands of guitars, I finally decided I would check out PRS. The first PRS that I pre-ordered was a 2018 S2 Studio in Antique White, and scheduled delivery would be in about 6 months. While waiting and looking at other PRS, I found this beauty about 2 weeks after the S2 order and couldn't resist. A 2018 Custom 22 in Black Gold Wrap Burst. Without exception, the most brilliant guitar I have ever owned, before or since. A year and a half later, and I still haven't gotten over how wonderful this guitar is.

[​IMG]

13. ScottR

Another of my all time favorites! She's a stunner!

shimmilou likes this.
  14. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I've told the story more than once, but like your old senile uncle, I'll tell it again...

I had never heard of PRS and was a crappy guitar wannabe playing on a crappy Squier Strat my family chipped in to buy me for Christmas back in the 90's. I had just gotten our tax return and had some cash for once and happened to be on a trip to Phoenix in 2006 and had a day to kill. I went to a Guitar Center to test drive Les Pauls. Nothing I played appealed to me. Finish flaws or wouldn't stay in tune or whatever. Up on the wall behind the counter was this gorgeous thing with bird inlays. I asked to see it. As soon as I played her she made it clear I had to take her home. It took about everything I had saved but it was so worth it. Cu24 Artist Package. I later upgraded the amp from a tiny Gorilla amp too. Here is a bad lighting photo.
    [​IMG]

15. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Fabulous.:cool:

LSchefman likes this.
  16. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

Be who you are! :p

LSchefman, shimmilou and ScottR like this.
  17. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

CU 24 in 1991, the dealer had just gotten it in his store. It was a cherry burst. I traded it in for a Teal Black Artist II when they came out in 1992 or 1993.

The Artist II was my #1 for about eight years.

18. Tosca

Tosca Death by a million mini-toggles...

I was a Stratocaster only kind of guy, having started out on one...for a long, long time...didn’t like Les Pauls, or any Humbucker guitars, for a long time. Fell in love with a BC Rich in college (80’s)...then had a long 14 year hiatus from playing any guitar after graduating for training/work/family reasons. A little company called PRS started during this gap in my musical life. When I started up again in the early 2000’s...I kept noticing this new brand...I thought they were way too “blingy” looking and expensive at first...sticking to my strats and BC Rich. Then I saw this one used at a GC...and I don’t know...it was just the most beautiful guitar I’d ever seen. I stared at it for months, played it a few times...decided I wasn’t going to buy a “doctor/lawyer/dentist” guitar (ironic)...and it disappeared. I figured it sold...but the owner had taken it back for a while, when it appeared again 6 months later...I snapped it up. “Tigress” my 2001 PS #222, McCarty, Black Gold, Peruvian mahogany back and neck with braz board. There’s something surreal about this one...despite the 25” scale, it has the slinkiest short scale feel and sound of almost any guitar I’ve owned...including dozens of Les Pauls (I got over my earlier aversion to them). Here’s the day I bought her in 2004.

[​IMG]

She is a lifer...had PTC do some work on her a few years back...57/08s and p/p pots for various cool split options (this was before I discovered mini-toggles). This beauty opened the floodgates for me...she has had many PS, core and SE sisters, but still a special place in the collection...I guess you never forget your first. And she’s still beautiful. (Perfect book matched flame. Perhaps the classiest PRS inlays I own.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#58 Tosca, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  19. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Incredible!

20. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas New Member

After seeing Gary Moore Over the hills and far away video, I got myself the same Royal blue Custom guitar. This was in 1987. Bought also a Scarlet red Custom the same year. Still have the Scarlet, but the Royal was sold the year after.