What was wrong with PRS winged Tuners?

Don't laugh... I actually hold the string with needle nose plyers to pull it tight and ONLY use a string winder. Doing this, and propping the bridge UP before restringing, I can get all 6 on with less than 3/4 of a wrap. I believe propping the bridge upwards is a big part of this as I seem to get less wrap than when I just prop it level.

Yeah! I actually do the same thing with the string package (if I don’t buy in bulk) but instead of ripping the package, I fold it a couple, or a few times.

What was wrong? Guitar players. Guitar players are what was wrong.

They can’t be bothered to learn new sh!t or change their habits. That’s why we have SS’s, 594’s, CU24’s with blade switches, and Floyd Rose trems on PRS now.

Look at the kind of dipsh!ts out there in the world:

2CqUKr1.jpg

Ko98CnE.jpg
This needs to be the flag for what is wrong with humanity...

I had trouble understanding how they worked at first. Once you get the hang of how to make them catch, where to line the holes up before starting, propping the bridge up to or above level prior to starting, etc., they work VERY well. I only have them on one of my 6 PRS's. Oooops!o_O

Collector!;)

Ach! Sh!t the bed!!

I did not like the gear ratio. Locking mechanism works fine, but I prefer to make a few extra turns of the tuning knobs if it makes for a more accurate tuning. Swapped mine for a set of schaller drop ins and am a lot happier with those.

I actually do the heavier strings first, tune them up past pitch, and then do B and E last while really pulling on those strings a bit.

Another vote for wings. I do the above too - past pitch low strings to pull the bridge up before doing the B and high E.

These are 33 year old and counting and still work fine, even with the 8s - 38s I use. Guitar used pretty much every day.

IMG1115.jpeg

I only ever had them in the 90s, so before there were easy online tutorials to be found on how to restring. I found the little paper instruction that came with them difficult to follow, and while I was able to use them, I found them awkward as heck.

That said, if an older guitar that has them pops up when I'm in the market, I won't hesitate to buy it since I now have access to better information, and I will learn :).

Any floating bridge goes full backtilt mode with strings off. If you leave it like that and put new strings on, you use a lot of the first wind just getting the bridge back up to level. I put something under the bridge before taking the strings off, that props it up to level or back tilted up, before putting the new strings on. Then you have less wrapped string and they come out as intended, instead of some of the "look at this" pics we've seen with people who don't know how to use their wings.

Edit: I see The Wingmaster has beat me to posting one of "those" pics. And something else that I'm not really sure what it is. :eek::eek:

Just as DTR said, put something under the bridge. I use cardstock. After I first purchase a new rig and I get it setup the way I want, I take some card stock and fold it until it fits perfectly under the rear of the bridge. When I change strings, I insert the cardstock which holds the bridge in place. Once I restring, when I get the guitar tuned to pitch, the card stock usually falls out.
I write which guitar on each to keep them sorted as some bridges I have set higher depending on setup.

51721656001_76e7005b95_c.jpg

Last edited:
What was wrong? Guitar players. Guitar players are what was wrong.

They can’t be bothered to learn new sh!t or change their habits. That’s why we have SS’s, 594’s, CU24’s with blade switches, and Floyd Rose trems on PRS now.

Look at the kind of dipsh!ts out there in the world:

2CqUKr1.jpg

Ko98CnE.jpg

Preach good sir!

Back