What was wrong with PRS winged Tuners?

Tuning machines shouldn't need a learning curve :cool:

I don't know....when I first started playing guitar there was a learning curve with normal tuners....Under/Over.....THEN one day when I finally met Grover locking tuners....had to go through a curve with those as well. Had to go through it again with Vintage Fender tuners. I met PRS winged tuners my first string up went slow as I was being careful...the second restring I was Rock'in it. I'd say it's a similar learning curve as I had with the traditional locking tuners.

Now with all this new input I'll be able to get it Perfect! Thanks guys!

Tuning machines shouldn't need a learning curve :cool:

Well, perhaps. But before someone told me the proper way to use the newer locking tuners, I was tighening them down with a small screwdriver and "until I thought they were tight enough." I lost 2 strings because I tightened it so tight it cut through the string, and I put a tiny (but the only!) mark in the headstock when my screwdriver slipped once.

Instructions: Use a coin, tighten until it hits the string and then 1/4 turn. And that simple I never had another problem.

I've ditched them on all three on my 97 CEs. There is nothing more simple than ph 2 and 3 tuners.

I'm 56 and it does get a little difficult to see if the things are in the right position when putting new strings on.

My 86cu24 obviously has them and obviously I won't change those but I'm still not a fan.

I've ditched them on all three on my 97 CEs. There is nothing more simple than ph 2 and 3 tuners.

I'm 56 and it does get a little difficult to see if the things are in the right position when putting new strings on.

My 86cu24 obviously has them and obviously I won't change those but I'm still not a fan.

The ones you gave me went to a loving home. Thank you again.

I lost 2 strings because I tightened it so tight it cut through the string, and I put a tiny (but the only!) mark in the headstock when my screwdriver slipped once.

Nothing good comes of string changes. If it's not dinging the guitar, it's poking holes in your fingers with the ends of the strings. Or both.

When I'm faced with the brutal reality of a string change, it's time to sell and let the next owner bleed all over the guitar.

"You're saying you've sold guitars before a single string change?" :eek:

"Wait, are you implying that's a bad thing?"

"You're kidding, right?"

"..."

Nothing good comes of string changes. If it's not dinging the guitar, it's poking holes in your fingers with the ends of the strings. Or both.

When I'm faced with the brutal reality of a string change, it's time to sell and let the next owner bleed all over the guitar.

"You're kidding, right?"

"..."

You see this is the Les we all know and love. I thought you would have a footman to do the string changes for you. The same dude who presses all your black t-shirts and jeans and makes your Martinis.:p

"You're kidding, right?"

"..."

Exactly right, Les. And I feel the same way about cars. Anything more than an oil change, and it's time to trade it in for a new one. :)

I have to say, I changed the strings on my classical yesterday (trying out some flamenco, just in case Sergio comes to help me drink my bubbles inventory) and y'all have no idea what a nuisance changing strings can be: loosen them way off, untie the bridge knot, yank the strings, tie new strings at the bridge, fit them through the peghead and tie them off with enough slack to get it secure, but not so much slack that you have too many winds, turn and turn and turn, tune it up, tune it again, tune it again. Then tune again a couple of times a day for some unknown period of time. Do NOT change your classical strings right before a show.

Winged tuner, bing, bang, Bob's your uncle.

I'll trade you a set of Phase II for them...
What do the phase II tuners look like? I already have a set of PRS locking tuners here that will not work that I bought. The wing tuners have a screw on the back and the ones I have do not.

I loved 'em. So quick and easy when you understood the way they worked.

Sergio nailed it in his first post. My more polite take: they confused people.

I wasn't really feeling confused with phase 1's and really wanted to like them on my '99 as I think they look cool but being unable to accept anything heavier that .052 (.054 with tight squeeze) was a deal breaker for me. I couldn't change them fast enough to Phase 3, which I absolutely adore on my 35th Anniversary. They are simply not made with me in mind ;)

"You're kidding, right?"

"..."
Les… may I suggest you go wireless? Strings.

What do the phase II tuners look like? I already have a set of PRS locking tuners here that will not work that I bought. The wing tuners have a screw on the back and the ones I have do not.

IIRC they are a drop in replacement for the wings...
QQPgxIO.jpg

Back