What pedals do you use?

Bob Weil & his crew still have a fantastic operation with great products... but, this Angry Fuzz is awesome!!! I emailed them a while back with my ideas to re-launch Angry Fuzz as a 2 button Fuzz/Boost in their new housings. There's a good chance I'll end up putting the H2O back on here somewhere, it's currently wired up on my bass board.
I'll try to email them about the Angry Fuzz too. Hopefully that will remind them that there is interest for that. I'm very surprised that they haven't made some kind of new Fuzz - as Fuzz pedals seem to be in revival this year.
I dont use pedals...got me one of them electric bikes. :cool:
I hear those things get going pretty up there. 20 mph?

Well, since I am 100% digital I dont use pedals, however I incidentally use the Kemper drive for the lo gain little volume posh Klon type boost in OD or Crunch level gained profiles. Rest of my "pedals" are just studio type recerbs and delays from the kemper.

My HX rigs are more or less the same.

Never use compressor, no real pedal drives: greatly prefer amp gain.

I use a Pod Go at church and have learned to get some pretty good overdriven and distortion tones from it

On occasion I will use some external pedals if needed. Depends on if I don't have enough DSP.

Sometimes I'll use a Wampler Tumnis Deluxe or the Wampler Panteon Overdrive. I really like the Wampler Moxie which I use as a boost for occasional solo's. Great sounding pedal for the main overdriven sound as well.

I'm pretty happy with just my amp and my Keeley Eccos, which is a flanger driven delay. I found a great chimey/edge of breakup type of tone that gives some reverb-like depth and that doesn't make me want to keep searching for new tones. Eventually I want to get an Immerse Reverberator because I'd rather have hall reverb than the spring reverb that comes with the amp. But the delay on its own isn't bad.

I grew up with a keyboard so I could get lost in ambient tones for hours but I'm trying to avoid that while I work on my skills.

I was on a quest for an overdrive because I like those tones but I learned a humbucker guitar with a good amp can get most of them without a pedal. Seems like overdrive is more useful for a single coil guitar.

Oh, I also got a fuzz on a lark. I don't use it much yet, but it's just fun so I'm sure I will at some point.

Interesting... Not sure why people assume that large pedalboards require some kind of tap dancing. Switchers abd midi controls are available to eliminate any hassle for that but besides that, even for someone like me who has a board with with 13 pedals, 4 or 5 of those stay on throughout a song or set, some are used sparingly, only for emergency and so forth. Well worth the money and not as nearly as complicated as people tend to believe.

The myth of pedalboard seems to stem more from a fear of pedals due to unfamiliarity rather than experience. I've never seen people who play with pedals say something like "Yeah, those darn pedals! I accidentally hit the wrong pedal/pedals during the song and it ruined the vibe". If that were too happen, that would be due to bad placement on the board (say you have a fuzz pedal too close to a delay pedal and you mean to turn the delay pedal on but you accidentally hit both, imagine that causing a huge volume boost, a blur of sound and the delay would undoubtedly clash with the delay creating am uncomfortable mess for both the player and the audience). This is a very rare occurrence, yet people who play with no pedals believe it to be a common thing.

It's as non-pedal players believe that pedal players are generally too reliant on pedals rather than instinct. That generally is not the case.

This ideal isn't a huge deal, just wanted to clear that small thing up :)

Anyway, came across this and a compressor with a germanium/silicon transistor boost really appeals to me. I have no need for it but it seems like a great pedal to kill 2 birds with one stone

I have been getting more into compressors lately. Verily navigating what is the unforgiving learning curve in which the process to get better tones from that of a pedal which is capable of easily killing your guitar's natural tone as well as your dynamics. Not too much unlike a noise gate (the opposite of a compressor). I hated compressors for over 25 years, now I love them as much as anything else I own. I have 3 compressors and wouldn't mind added this Pigtronix into the pedal collection. They are always on pedals.

Once you learn the greatness that is a good compressor pedal, you can play your favorite tube amp at volume 1 or 2 out of 10 make that amp feel like it's cracked if you know what you're doing.⁴ Balancing levels, retaining the natural dynamics as if the pedal was never on but yet improving your core tone and increasing both your amp's natural harmonic content and sustain is a miracle of modern engineering!

This is a Vox XLR8R.

May be an image of text

I am going to pose some questions here, as I never understood the need for pedals. I legitimately want to know because I never found any good use for them. Even when I played live, I only used up to three pedals (not counting my tuner - or that time I experimented with the MIDI switcher and all my pedals stored in my rack on a slide-out tray...talk about a PITA live!!)

1. Why do you guys use pedals, and why so many?
Colors. Do you color a whole picture with one crayon? Even if it's your favorite color, having more colors is better. Having several drive pedals can make one amp sound like 10 different ones. And then there's the pedals other than drives... more colors and flavors. No matter how great your amp is, you can't get "Bridge of Sighs" tone without a vibe. Etc. Etc.
2. What are you attempting to accomplish tonally that can't be done with a great guitar and a great amp?
See #1- colors and flavors. A couple nights ago, I played Van Halen, Ozzie, Rush, Megadeth and Robin Trower. All with one amp... and some pedals.
3. Does mucking around with pedal boards and such get in the way of your creative time?
Exactly the opposite. Turning on a vibe makes you play differently. A chorus or phaser can do that as well. Every time you do that you're doing MORE than you would have done without the pedal.
4. How do you present music (live? covers? originals? bedroom player? home studio use?)?
Yes, all the above.

Yes, all the above.
Same here. Originals, covers, and basically every type of music (Praise and Worship music within ny church covers literally every genre/sub-genre and style).

And then people think I'm weird sometimes because I have a small pedalboard for practice, a medium size for church on Sundays and studio and then a massive pedalboard for stadium sized gigs.
I Was Moving Around Some Stuff And Came Across A Bin Of Pedals I Haven't Used In A Bit. It Is Like Christmas All Over Again. :)
Awesome! That must be a great feeling, I have a bunch not in use but I can't forget any of them as I'm constantly reminded about them haha

Though I do find myself wanting to dig a couple of the unused ones out to try to convince myself to put them on an active board.

Last edited:
And then people think I'm weird sometimes because I have a small pedalboard for practice, a medium size for church on Sundays and studio and then a massive pedalboard for stadium sized gigs.
I used to love to say here, that I had one gig for over 3 years, that I played every week with a Roland Micro Cube. Somewhere between 10-35 people, and played with unmic'd acoustic, and sometimes banjo, mandolin, electric bass, etc. and 1-3 singers (also un-mic'd).

Then I have semi-regular gigs that have 50-125 or so. I used to use my Fender VibroChamp XD for that with sometimes 1-2 pedals (no board) added, but usually just using built in effects and guitar volume knob. Last couple times, I've just taken my Atomic AA3 or AA12 though, with my QSC-CP8. Much more versatile.

And, the Atomic direct with CP8 as my monitor is what I use at church, so 850-1000 in person plus a couple thousand more online viewers. I don't take my pedal board out. It's mainly for using at home with my tube amps, and for taking pictures of to make Les all twitchy and nervous with all the cables running everywhere and 25 unplugged pedals sitting off to the sides (the bullpen, as it were).

I used to love to say here, that I had one gig for over 3 years, that I played every week with a Roland Micro Cube. Somewhere between 10-35 people, and played with unmic'd acoustic, and sometimes banjo, mandolin, electric bass, etc. and 1-3 singers (also un-mic'd).

Then I have semi-regular gigs that have 50-125 or so. I used to use my Fender VibroChamp XD for that with sometimes 1-2 pedals (no board) added, but usually just using built in effects and guitar volume knob. Last couple times, I've just taken my Atomic AA3 or AA12 though, with my QSC-CP8. Much more versatile.

And, the Atomic direct with CP8 as my monitor is what I use at church, so 850-1000 in person plus a couple thousand more online viewers. I don't take my pedal board out. It's mainly for using at home with my tube amps, and for taking pictures of to make Les all twitchy and nervous with all the cables running everywhere and 25 unplugged pedals sitting off to the sides (the bullpen, as it were).
Different set-ups for different gigs is where it's at! Kinda like a different outfit for the right occasion. (Oddly enough) Some people at church hate it, they're like "Why not bring the big board at every event small or big?" And I also get alot of snide remarks - pretty sure it's just the usual jealous types though.

Anyways, it's a nice feeling to have a different set-up for a different style or event. Where most guitarists simply change the amp and the guitar, I figure why not go all the way and switch up the pedals as well? At that point, the musician really knows all their owned gears insides and ours anyway... or should haha

Back