What is Goldtop listening to?

Hoodoo Gurus and Midnight Oil work well together. Actually Australia had quite a few good bands during the '80's and '90's. The Saints, Paul Kelly, Hunters and Collectors, The Church and Crowded House(CH has some Kiwi thrown in there too) to name a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crowded House! Thank you Shawn! :p I've been working my brain trying to come up with their name.

Goldtop

T - O - N - E ! Hard to believe that it's been over thirteen years since this came out. Happy Monday!!! :top:

Goldtop

Love this! One of the first times I saw and heard a PRS in action. Amazing tone.

The singer is channeling Ann Wilson of Heart a bit. Not as 'big' a voice, but a similar range and timbre. Nice.

Her voice has a quality that really gets to me. And some of those lyrics; 'I'll take my last ten bucks just as far as it will go...'. I was married when I first got into Concrete Blonde, and I played "Joey" and "True" so much that my wife wanted to shoot me! (At least I think that was the reason.)

Goldtop

Same here. I saw them in 1989 or 1990 and got to flirt with Johnette a little--made my night! They were here in Denver summer before last and still sounded good and seemed to be having a good time. Good to see some love for them.

How about this one? Anyone? For some reason, these two bands are related in my head. I'm sure it's just the timeframe...and MTV, but still.

There was a time when MTV was on all the time at my house. Maybe it was for a lot of people; I don't know. I'm talking about years after the new wore off, when they really seemed to hit their stride with a diverse mix of artists, before so many of the videos started trying to be 'epic statements', and before game shows and beach parties took over.

Here I am, sounding like an old coot, ruminating about 'the good old days'... Sorry.

Goldtop

There was a time when MTV was on all the time at my house. Maybe it was for a lot of people; I don't know. I'm talking about years after the new wore off, when they really seemed to hit their stride with a diverse mix of artists, before so many of the videos started trying to be 'epic statements', and before game shows and beach parties took over.

Here I am, sounding like an old coot, ruminating about 'the good old days'... Sorry.

Goldtop

OK. I had to laugh at the thought of the good old days of MTV. I heard they thought of changing the name of the channel a few years ago, but decided the "M" still worked for "Moron TV"

Crowded House, Midnight Oil, The Church (LOVED those guys)! Leads to The Cure, Love and Rockets...and The Cult!

I love The Cult and this song, but this video just begs for smart ass comments, so I'll start.

1) I didn't know Brian Meader used to sing for The Cult
2) Fluffy pirate shirts are never/always a great choice for on-stage attire
3) Jumping through a pyramid of empty beer cans must be the high point for rock video making
4) where is that "Lyrics that matter" thread when you need it?

:laugh:

2) Fluffy pirate shirts are never/always a great choice for on-stage attire
:laugh:

I'm convinced Ian was roped into wearing that by management. Like this guy:

And Billy Duffy looks completely dwarfed by that Gretsch.

Wednesday --- "Wild Flower". Inspiration is everywhere, and the talk about The Cult did it for me. These are two of my personal favorites from them.

Goldtop

OK. I had to laugh at the thought of the good old days of MTV. I heard they thought of changing the name of the channel a few years ago, but decided the "M" still worked for "Moron TV"

I miss the days when MTV was really good. If you think about it, it's easy to come up with lots of artists who either made it, or saved it, or had their fifteen minutes because of MTV. There was a time when the network was A Force, and for good or bad, they changed the way the game was played. In the process they also helped with some social change (African Famine Relief, Rock The Vote, FarmAid, etc.) But like all too often happens, they lost their way and ended up imploding. Strictly IMO.

Goldtop

Last edited:
I miss the days when MTV was really good. If you think about it, it's easy to come up with lots of artists who either made it, or saved it, or had their fifteen minutes because of MTV. There was a time when the network was A Force, and for good or bad, they changed the way the game was played. In the process they also helped with some social change (African Famine Relief, Rock The Vote, FarmAid, etc.) But like all too often happens, they lost their way and ended up imploding. Strictly IMO.

Goldtop

MTV died for me when they started with their non-music shows. HELLO.... the "M" stands for "MUSIC"! In the 80s I had it on almost 24/7, now I can't remember the last time I even paused on that channel.

Rush is a band that I've always wanted to see live. Someday I hope to make some of their shows. If all of their live DVDs are any indication, they're a great band to see in person.

Goldtop

Don't know if anyone else repilied, but, YES, you should see Rush live...seen them more than I can count and just keep getting better. (My son and I said Hey to Jack when he dropped off the NF3 at Baltimore show couple years back)...Phenominal musicians, and definitely get money's worth every time. Oh,BTW...listening to new Rush, Brad Paisley, and just got the two Dirty and Beautiful discs (from Gary Husband)...bringing back 70's fusion...and always have a Jeff Beck disc in car.

Don't know if anyone else repilied, but, YES, you should see Rush live...seen them more than I can count and just keep getting better. (My son and I said Hey to Jack when he dropped off the NF3 at Baltimore show couple years back)...Phenominal musicians, and definitely get money's worth every time.

BIG +1

I consider myself very lucky to have Red Rocks right down the road from me. The draws that place gets are amazing--not only is it a favorite place to see a concert, it's a great place to play. Bands that normally fill larger places take the time to play here. Rush is one of those bands that loves it. I don't make it every time Rush is here, but I try to. It's always worth it.

Musical tie-in:

Wednesday --- "Wild Thang". A little something to help get us through the Hump Day afternoon.

GoldThang

Don't know if anyone else repilied, but, YES, you should see Rush live...seen them more than I can count and just keep getting better. (My son and I said Hey to Jack when he dropped off the NF3 at Baltimore show couple years back)...Phenominal musicians, and definitely get money's worth every time. Oh,BTW...listening to new Rush, Brad Paisley, and just got the two Dirty and Beautiful discs (from Gary Husband)...bringing back 70's fusion...and always have a Jeff Beck disc in car.

Man, you're naming some great stuff there. Big Jeff Beck fan myself. As for Rush, I hope to catch them someday.

Lloyd

BIG +1

I consider myself very lucky to have Red Rocks right down the road from me. The draws that place gets are amazing--not only is it a favorite place to see a concert, it's a great place to play. Bands that normally fill larger places take the time to play here. Rush is one of those bands that loves it. I don't make it every time Rush is here, but I try to. It's always worth it.

I'm jealous. I've never been to Red Rocks, and I've always heard it's a fantastic place to see a gig. I just finished Barry Fey's autobiography. His company - Feyline Productions - booked sooo many shows all over, but especially in Colorado and the upper Midwest. He talks a lot about great times at Red Rocks, and he goes into detail about that U2 show that was made into a video. Barry is close friends with Bono and the guys.

Thanks for posting this.

Goldtop

MTV died for me when they started with their non-music shows. HELLO.... the "M" stands for "MUSIC"! In the 80s I had it on almost 24/7, now I can't remember the last time I even paused on that channel.

I rarely watch it now. Once in a great while I'll see a "Behind the Music" listed that I'm interested it, but otherwise I pass it by. These days, the only music channel I look at very much is VH-1 Classic. Again, for BtM, or for the series Classic Albums of how "Rumours", or "Ace of Spades", or whatever was made. (Matter of fact, in about an hour they're running a replay of a documentary about The Who and the making of Quadrophenia. Phone off the hook time!)

Goldtop

Back