What´s the best way for changing strings?

I've strung my non-locking guitars the same way since the 70s, with reliably good results. If I need to clean the guitar, I'll take all the strings off, but as a general rule for me, that sort of deep cleaning is a once-in-a-good-while sort of thing. I just remove a string, replace it with a new one, bring it to pitch, stretch it by running it between a thumb and forefinger the length of the string, return it to pitch, and repeat until they are all changed. A minute of two of playing and bending in various areas (including lower towards the nut), retune and it's stable from there.

With non-locking tuners, I do a "back around and under" sort of locking wrap on the unwound strings. It's something I got from a pro player back then, and it's always worked. I don't know if that's necessary or voodoo, but it makes me feel better anyway. My general rules are:

1. Only 1 or 1.5 wraps at most at the post. No need to wind it like a snake down to the headstock.
2. Trim the darned things... It's not the 60s and strings hanging all out the top of your guitar just look stupid. Wound into little loops is no better.
3 . Tune until it stays in tune. Out of tune is bad, always.
4. Don't obsess. New stings, in tune, done.

That's it! Do it right. You don't have to change strings often enough that it becomes all that tedious.

I've strung my non-locking guitars the same way since the 70s, with reliably good results. If I need to clean the guitar, I'll take all the strings off, but as a general rule for me, that sort of deep cleaning is a once-in-a-good-while sort of thing. I just remove a string, replace it with a new one, bring it to pitch, stretch it by running it between a thumb and forefinger the length of the string, return it to pitch, and repeat until they are all changed. A minute of two of playing and bending in various areas (including lower towards the nut), retune and it's stable from there.

With non-locking tuners, I do a "back around and under" sort of locking wrap on the unwound strings. It's something I got from a pro player back then, and it's always worked. I don't know if that's necessary or voodoo, but it makes me feel better anyway. My general rules are:

1. Only 1 or 1.5 wraps at most at the post. No need to wind it like a snake down to the headstock.
2. Trim the darned things... It's not the 60s and strings hanging all out the top of your guitar just look stupid. Wound into little loops is no better.
3 . Tune until it stays in tune. Out of tune is bad, always.
4. Don't obsess. New stings, in tune, done.

That's it! Do it right. You don't have to change strings often enough that it becomes all that tedious.
This here.

I usually just trade the guitar in for one with new strings.

That's certainly my M.O....

You both need a guitar butler.

“You rang Sir”

“Yes Jeeves”

“What will Sir be needing this evening?”

“A dry Martini, two large olives and a string change”

“Which guitar Sir?”

“Which one is the oldest”

“That would be the …..”

“That one then. Oh and Jeeves, make sure the hounds are released”

“Very good Sir”

You both need a guitar butler.

“You rang Sir”

“Yes Jeeves”

“What will Sir be needing this evening?”

“A dry Martini, two large olives and a string change”

“Which guitar Sir?”

“Which one is the oldest”

“That would be the …..”

“That one then. Oh and Jeeves, make sure the hounds are released”

“Very good Sir”
No problem, I have a guitar butler already!

He's also a martini butler.

I don't have any dogs (not an animal person).

"But Les, you're an animal."

"I prefer to think of myself as a babe magnet; animal has too many unsavory connotations."

"Maybe a grandma magnet."

"If I take my glasses off they're babes. It's the one advantage in no longer seeing very well."

Stringing the way shown in the video, I always poke at least one finger on and unwound string when taking the old strings off. This leads to precious blood leaking from my body, which I don't like. I just run the string through the tuner hole, grab it and bend it at the far end of the next tuner and wrap it the way everyone used to, before people started discovering fancy-schmancy methods. I do a lot of string bending and never have a problem going out of tune. For a long time I used the over-under method and honestly, I think just getting 2-3 wraps around the post works best for me.

Stringing the way shown in the video, I always poke at least one finger on and unwound string when taking the old strings off. This leads to precious blood leaking from my body, which I don't like. I just run the string through the tuner hole, grab it and bend it at the far end of the next tuner and wrap it the way everyone used to, before people started discovering fancy-schmancy methods. I do a lot of string bending and never have a problem going out of tune. For a long time I used the over-under method and honestly, I think just getting 2-3 wraps around the post works best for me.
Same.

My female doctor warned me a few years ago the next time I went in she would be doing a prostate exam. She said "The good news is, I have small hands" and held them up flexing them in a grabby-grabby motion. I was very disturbed by this, but looking back I think it is pretty funny.

My female doctor warned me a few years ago the next time I went in she would be doing a prostate exam. She said "The good news is, I have small hands" and held them up flexing them in a grabby-grabby motion. I was very disturbed by this, but looking back I think it is pretty funny.

A few years ago, one of the women at my PCP was going over my info and asked how old I was. I said I was 51 (way back when), and she said, "Oh oh oh" and made that flexy finger motion and said, "It's time for that and a colonoscopy. How do you feel about that?" I said, "My dad had prostate cancer, my uncle died of colon cancer. I ain't thrilled, but I ain't stupid, either." She just laughed.

Back