New Strings…

deepender

Yup
Ok. I don’t change strings often. I usually wait until I either can’t stand the tone or can’t get a stable tuning. So I just changed the strings yesterday. I always incorporate a good setup, fine tuning and deep cleaning/polishing, and wait till the next day to play in the strings.

Oh my…
That’s what I’ve been longing for.

So satisfying…

I Don't Change Strings...I Just Rotate Guitars Or Buy A New One And Keep It Simple.
I met a guy that has a lot of money that rides Harleys. He rides them long enough to wear the tires out then trades it in on a new one. One of the guys that works at the shop was joking with him one day when I was there and told him, "you know they can change the tires and put new ones on, right?" It was a pretty funny moment.

I switched to D' Addario strings many years ago. One reason I started using them is they last a really long time for me. I change them when the tone of them starts to lose it's crispness. I can usually hear it with the low E string. It gets more of a thud to it instead of a nice ringing note.

I always give the guitar setup a look over and tweak if needed when I change strings. That is the time the guitar gets a full inspection and any attention it may need. I also play the strings in. I do a little stretch on them when I put them on but will then play the guitar a bit to get them set in. This is another area that D' Addario strings have been great for me and why I still use them. It doesn't take a lot of playing to get them set. I may have to tweak a string or two while playing for about 15 minutes and that is it. The guitar will be super solid after that. It comes out of the case in tune and ready to go. The only time I usually need to tweak the tuning is when going from a more extreme temperature change or humidity change. We get that a lot down here if your gig is outside.

The String Strecha is the best invention since the Winder, saves so much time and wear and tear on the fingers. (I'm still not changing my strings every 2 weeks though!)
I don't stretch mine nearly enough for something like that. I literally only give them a couple of pulls then tune them up. I find that I don't really need to stretch them much, if at all. The play in after I string a guitar is all it really needs and that doesn't really surface much in the way of tuning issues. I may have to tune it up a bit more the next day but that is really it. I have never needed to stretch my strings. I make sure the guitar's setup is on point and away I go.

I met a guy that has a lot of money that rides Harleys. He rides them long enough to wear the tires out then trades it in on a new one. One of the guys that works at the shop was joking with him one day when I was there and told him, "you know they can change the tires and put new ones on, right?" It was a pretty funny moment.
He Probably Doesn't Change The Oil Either...Even More Savings! (In His Mind) :)

He Probably Doesn't Change The Oil Either...Even More Savings! (In His Mind) :)
He pays people to do that stuff. He has some very expensive sports cars and boats. He is one of those legit rich guys. He is surprisingly a nice guy. He is just addicted to things that go fast and have a roaring sound.

I don't stretch mine nearly enough for something like that. I literally only give them a couple of pulls then tune them up. I find that I don't really need to stretch them much, if at all. The play in after I string a guitar is all it really needs and that doesn't really surface much in the way of tuning issues. I may have to tune it up a bit more the next day but that is really it. I have never needed to stretch my strings. I make sure the guitar's setup is on point and away I go.
Interesting - I found if I don't stretch them enough, they definitely have tuning issues after playing, even just from rhythm but especially after bends and lead work. Maybe I just bash them too hard with my right hand? :D

Interesting - I found if I don't stretch them enough, they definitely have tuning issues after playing, even just from rhythm but especially after bends and lead work. Maybe I just bash them too hard with my right hand? :D
I am a player that bends strings a lot. They get plenty of bends during the play in. Maybe it is the brand of strings I use but I don't find they stretch a lot and go out of tune.

That is why I use coated strings. They keep their broken-in crispness rather long
You're right, they sure last! I don't use them on my electrics, but I use the coated D'Addarios 80/20 bronze bluegrass sets on my acoustic. There are times I changes strings strictly out of guilt after what seems like a very long time, and find the new ones don't sound much different!

On the electrics I like to use pure nickel-wrap strings, not nickel plated. For some reason they last a long time, too. Maybe it has to do with wear on the plating? Back in the old days before nickel plated steel, I don't remember players changing their strings for every gig or session. They often do now.

The pure nickel D'Addarios aren't bright enough for my taste, but I found that the Sono-Tone pure nickels sound a lot brighter. They have a nice feel, too, One of the members who does demos at NAMM (and hasn't posted here in a long time!) recommended them.

Back