Weird idea GAS

If you win it, I hope you like it better than your standard.
If you like your standard and don't win the CU, I would suggest buying something entirely different (if you really have to buy anything).

I have a SE CU24 MIK. I prefer it to my USA CE24 guitar. So not everyone feels the same way!

I think the issue, is that other than the DGT, most of the "different" guitars don't have pattern thin necks. The reason I like the SE standard is because of the neck shape. So maybe a DGT, but those are thin on the ground used. I am thinking about getting a "prettier" standard to move my BK Stormy Mondays into, but it's not necessary.

Yesterday I went to Dave’s to checkout a 2018 CU 24, the price was reasonable, more than I want to spend, but Dave’s is pretty much spot on, there’s not much to argue about with them re price.

So I bring in my Mustang, maybe they’ll offer me enough in trade to make it worth my while. I played to CU 24, it was nice but not really special, and the tone wasn’t really close to my SE Standard with the Stormy Mondays. My daughter even commented on it.

Meanwhile one of the guys was looking over my Mustang. He was ecstatic about the condition. He played it for a bit and he made it sound great. He said they’d offer me $1200 in trade, but if it were him he’d keep it. So I packed up my guitars, and headed home.

When I got home I pulled out the Mustang, I don’t know if I’ve played it since it was tuned up. I must say the action in lower than my PRS. It plays like a dream. It’s staying with me. If I find a nicer PRS at a great price, maybe gutted (a man can dream) I’ll move the Stormy Mondays over. But those are staying too.

An update. I pulled the trigger on a Spalted Maple SE custom on eBay. It was the sellers first auction, so no one bid. I got what I think is a great deal. I will A/B it against my SE standard and likely move the Stormy Mondays and locking tuners over. The photos looked quite pretty, not as pretty as the photos of the flames spalted in the other thread. But pretty.

My decision was in part driven by a discussion I had with my teacher about how at this stage I probably know what I like. He plays a Taylor electric and does so for neck shape and finish reasons. I have small hands, and some messed up fingers (forty years of pickup basketball will do that)

Now I’m going to the basement to finish build an Easy Fuzz, I think my next pedal build will be the famous bronto boost.

...one that would make my wife scream.

Since when was this a bad thing? o_O

Ooohhhh...you mean scream in a bad way. :eek::oops:

Anyway, congrats on the new SE! We’d love to see pics.

Btw, you mentioned something about a DGT having a thin neck, which is not very accurate. Go play a Wide Thin neck and a DGT side by side and you won’t feel that way anymore. The DGT is a big neck with narrow shoulders and is extremely comfortable. The WT is a completely different animal.

Last edited:
Since when was this a bad thing? o_O

Ooohhhh...you mean scream in a bad way. :eek::oops:

Anyway, congrats on the new SE! We’d love to see pics.

Btw, you mentioned something about a DGT having a thin neck, which is not very accurate. Go play a Wide Thin neck and a DGT side by side and you won’t feel that was anymore. The DGT is a big neck with narrow shoulders and is extremely comfortable. The WT is a completely different animal.

I wondered about the DGT neck shape. I haven’t seen me in person.

I wish I wasn’t so sensitive I had a chance to buy a Paul’s SE for $800.

I wondered about the DGT neck shape. I haven’t seen me in person.

I wish I wasn’t so sensitive I had a chance to buy a Paul’s SE for $800.
The DGT is possibly the real desert island guitar of PRS. If you only play metal, maybe not, but for anything else, it can do it all. David Grissom and Paul did a beautiful job evolving this model into what it is today...perfect! To my hands and ears it’s as good as it gets. Two thumbs up and my highest of recommendations even if you can only have one guitar.

Back