Weird idea GAS

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by NBW, Jun 14, 2019.

1. NBW

NBW New Member

So I play an SE Standard 24, and I have tried a few other models, but I am not in love with anything other than the wide thin profile (maybe not even pattern thin) my SE has BK Story Monday pickups, which I think sound great. Every now and again I think well maybe a nicer looking SE 24. Maybe Spaulted Maple if I can find it cheap, or maybe spend a crap ton of money and import a Stealth Gray SE 24 from the UK, maybe the 85/15s would sound better, maybe I move the Stormy Mondays over.

But maybe I am just being dumb. When I asked at Daves about spending more to get a SE Custom, they just laughed and said, "Why?"

LSchefman and veinbuster like this.
  2. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

A lot of good things come in twos, so a second guitar is natural.

Alnus Rubra, Boogie, gush and 3 others like this.
  3. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

Just a note, with CITES you won't be able to import anything with rosewood from the UK, at least that's what Anderton's told me when I tried to buy a guitar from them.

You are at the wrong place if you are asking if getting another guitar is a bad idea. :D

That said, a second guitar is good to have for a backup, or even just for putting you in a different mindset for inspiration.

n24re, LSchefman, bodia and 1 other person like this.
  4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Boobs, balls, the animals on Noah’s ark...it’s almost unbiblical to not own at least two PRS.

mad monk, Alnus Rubra, Boogie and 9 others like this.
  5. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

A quick look on Reverb and there are quite a few Spalted Maple top SEs out there, comes down to budget.

Have you tried the CE-24? Some decent deals on freshly used ones -they have 85/15 pickups.

LSchefman likes this.
  6. NBW

NBW New Member

I have tried a CE, I haven't given it a lot of time. I love the looks of that Gray Matte finish though. I would get a spouted maple SE only if I could find a smoking deal. I can drive over to Dave's and get one for $595 any day of the week. So if one pops on eBay for say $400-$450 I might bite. I inquired with one of the UK retailers about shipping one of the matte grey ones here we'll see what they have to say.

It's more like my fourth guitar. I have the SE, I have an Ibanez AS-83 that I really like, and a '71 Fender Mustang in Competition Blue, which is all original (and I haven't touched in about a year). I could probably come close to trading the Mustang straight up for a low end (solid color) Core.

7. Great Gazoo

Great Gazoo New Member

Truer words were never spoken! :)

LSchefman, Glide-bpm and bodia like this.
  8. sergiodeblanc

This!!

As much as I love my SE’s, and as impressed as I am by the S2’s, there’s nothing like a Core PRS guitar.

I think it was like, last week, that I saw a used Standard 22 for $950 on Reverb.

9. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

So endeth the sermon!

LSchefman and Glide-bpm like this.
  10. NBW

NBW New Member

My idea is to use a high end guitar as a reward for some kind of attainment in my playing. I just started taking lessons about 4-5 months ago. I noodled around maybe 25 years ago (hence the Mustang, which I bought in college for maybe $175) but I am not where I want to be. I very much doubt my next guitar will be anything other than a PRS, since I like the thin necks so much.

11. Huggy B

Huggy B Hmm... kinda tangy.

1- Don't let your playing abilities dictate the model of instrument you own. Having a better guitar will inspire you to play more and get better.

2- If a thin neck is the main feature of importance, start there. Find the best purchase options that have that feature and decide from those which is the best for you, SE, S2, Core. You'll find it to be a balancing act between what feels right and what will compliment your arsenal.

12. Great Gazoo

Great Gazoo New Member

Great avatar, Huggy. Loved KK vs. Godzilla.

I mentioned this line to my wife (fwiw, she's a professional flutist & vocalist - I'm the 8-chord beginner guitarist). She replied:

[​IMG]

13. sergiodeblanc

That’s still 8 more chords than she can play. :)

14. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Hmmm... let's see...
    One on the couch, one in the office, three in the living room, and a couple of spares. There's room!

Alnus Rubra and LSchefman like this.
  15. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

That’s a familiar look.

Great Gazoo likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 New Member

Mod your current guitar.
    Remove the pickups and wiring circuit in as close to one or two pieces as possible -- so you can reinstall later with the most ease.

Buy some new pickups in a completely different style, like humbucker sized P90 for the bridge and a Gretsch-type for the neck, Bourns pots, Switchcraft switch and jack. Drive that around town for a while. Lipstick pickups, Single coils (often fit at an angle in a standard humbucker route) like Jaguar or Tele. Have some fun.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  17. gush

gush I'm not a new member!!!!

Finding room for a 2nd guitar just prepares you for finding room for 3, 4 and 5

Boogie and bodia like this.
  18. NBW

NBW New Member

My SE already has Mann locking tuners and Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays.

Glide-bpm likes this.
  19. NBW

NBW New Member

So there’s a 2004 CU24 on eBay right now at a pretty reasonable price, still one that would make my wife scream. Can anyone fill me in on neck profile and pickups in the 2004 models.

20. NBW

NBW New Member

Never mind. It’s listed in the eBay ad. I’ve never hoped for an eBay coupon more.

veinbuster likes this.