Which SE has the least bright tone?

ddc18

I have an SE custom 24 and really like it. Next I’d like one with a less bright, fuller sound. So maybe a semi? Zach Myers? I’m used to Les Paul so maybe something that feels like one? something with different pickups than what I have.

I'd say hollowbody as well. It's been a while since I played the standard, but logic says yes without the maple. I remember really liking the tone.

Last edited:
Thanks. How’s the feedback with one of those? I play in a small room and the amp is pretty close. Katana 50. Not really high volume much. Looks like they only come in one color

I find the stock 180p treble bleed cap is too much in some of them while it’s perfect in others. I have been messing with the PMT V-treb in a couple of my guitars and the results are pretty good. It’s nice to be able to tune the circuit to the guitar. I am planning on working up a custom version tuned specificity to these guitars.

The ZM could be the ticket. I have an S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow and it definitely has a warmer tone than any of my solid body guitars. Barring the ZM, I'd say have a look at the SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow or one of the SE 594 Singlecut Standards. An all 'hog' guitar definitely won't be as bright sounding as a maple capped guitar.

With regard to noise on the semi-hollow, I don't have any major issues with excess noise. I play mine in my living room in my condo pretty close to the FRFR monitor and don't have any major issues, even with high gain patches on my Helix (i.e. models based on the Dual Rectifier, Rockerverb, BE100, Archon, and 5150). Just use a noise gate and you're golden.

I don't have any feedback issues with my HB2 on feedback.

Thanks all. I’ll prob take one of those suggested after I decide how warm I need the tone to be,. The ZM would be more versatile, scale length more like my LP and is a sharp looker. People seem to rave about the hollowbody finish. Both have a wide fat neck and there is no shop in the three cities around me that have any model with that neck so I can’t try it. So I may have to just order from SW and take a chance. In fact, GC doesn’t have any hollowbody in stock to ship so it won’t be in a store for some time..

I have an SE custom 24 and really like it. Next I’d like one with a less bright, fuller sound. So maybe a semi? Zach Myers? I’m used to Les Paul so maybe something that feels like one? something with different pickups than what I have.
Have you tried lowering the pickups?

I’d say get something with a 24.5 scale length. I’m a huge fan of the SC 245. Mine is darker and very brawny compared to my other PRSi.

I came here to say something like the 594 or Hollowbody but also try a Standard all Mahogany body SE. The Neck will certainly be a bit 'darker', less bright as its further away from the bridge because it has 2 less frets to accomodate. As the neck is used in quite a few positions (4 out of 5 on a standard Cu24 for example), that change in Pup position would affect the majority of tones with exactly the same Pups. Tone Control, dialing in your amp or EQ pedals can also help shape the tone to your liking - you don't ALWAYS have to keep the Tone on 10!

Back