V12 Finish Chipping Near Fretboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably tough to prep an oily wood like rosewood on the edges of the fingerboards; I remember that the original poly finishes had occasional chipping on the fingerboard edges, too.

I can see how it'd be frustrating. OTOH, PRS does take care of its customers very well when problems arise. It's a drag waiting, but it'll get fixed!

Nope, I've been entirely consistent. You just have a hard time understanding fairly basic distinctions, such as the one between Fender Musical Corp. (the sum total of all of Fender's divisions) and Fender's Custom Shop. The Custom Shop would never, ever take care of your Guild repair. Why? They don't build them there. They don't make any acoustics, as far as I'm aware. My posts only had to do with Fender Custom Care, which is the warranty that extends to Custom Shop/Masterbuilt guitars. Full stop. If I ever said something like "Fender has amazing customer service for repair of its guitars", the context clearly illustrated what I was talking about--and it's something about which you are obviously ignorant. And that's fine. I realize you won't be buying a Masterbuilt Fender anytime soon. But if you happen to enjoy Strats, Teles, and the like, then it's your loss.

And, sure, if you want me to look at post #44 again, I will gladly do so. School is in...

It's probably tough to prep an oily wood like rosewood on the edges of the fingerboards; I remember that the original poly finishes had occasional chipping on the fingerboard edges, too.

I can see how it'd be frustrating. OTOH, PRS does take care of its customers very well when problems arise. It's a drag waiting, but it'll get fixed!

The problems are not on the edge of the fingerboards in my case. Just for the record.

Back of the neck. Side of the body.

The_Joker_by_DookieAdz.jpg

Can't we all... just get along? :) Hehe, Happy Friday!

Let's review what I said.

1. Fender's customer service (*for their high-end guitars*, which is to say Custom Shop/Masterbuilt guitars) is amazing. You have no experience whatsoever in that regard. I do.
2. I tried to *research* whether or not Fender Musical Corp. had any obligation to repair your Guild. Despite what it said on Westerly (?) Music's web site, (post #44), it turns out that Fender still honors Guild's warranty. I was mistaken. Gee...my bad. I was curious; I wanted to see if they had any obligation to touch your guitar. I think it's amazing that they would honor another company's warranty, personally, but you apparently think otherwise. Hey, my local tire/brake place changed ownership last year, and I was 100% f***ed when I tried to get them to fix something that the prior ownership messed up. ("Sorry, dude...that was another company! Yeah, we know 90% of the same employees work here...but tough ****!" ) So, yeah, the fact that they even tried to help you out is pretty nice, in my view.
3. I've repeatedly acknowledged that *whomever did the "repair"* screwed up.
4. Fender (whomever "Fender" may be in this case...it certainly wasn't the Custom Shop) should have made sure the guitar went to a qualified tech/luthier. Where *did* the guitar go? I don't think you ever bothered to say.
5. *Points 2-4 have absolutely nothing to do with Fender Custom Care*, which is the warranty that covers Custom Shop (etc.) guitars.
6. You hate Fender *across the board* b/c some bad tech messed up your Guild acoustic. You should have sent it back. You should have thrown a fit. I would have.
7. I don't hate Fender (in fact, I don't hate any guitar company whose guitars I own), and I have had exceptional service from Fender Custom Shop when I've needed it. See point #1 above.

Btw, my Fender EJ Strat has finish problems. The back of the body is bubbling up. **** happens, though. I don't expect the same kind of warranty/service for that guitar as I do my higher-end ones. It's almost certainly out of warranty anyway. I'll live with it or get it refinished on my own dime some day. But if something happens to my Masterbuilts, Fed Ex will be at my door in a day or two.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;88027 said:
The bridge started to peel off my 12-string Guild. Fender (who now owns Guild) denied my warranty request outright. I found a luthier with an "in" who got it approved. They kept my guitar for something close to 6 months. When it returned, the bridge was glued back on a few millimeters off center. It looked awful. I sold the guitar - which was used in my wedding. F#%¥ Fender.

You should see what Gibson did with my acoustic (limited edition signed artist model), sent in for a warranty repair due to the bridge being incorectly located from the git-go. A relatively simple repair resulted in the destruction of the guitar.

I thought this thread might turn out better in the end, but it looks like I was mistaken.

Jcshirke, you are crossing the line when you tell anyone you have never met that they have a comprehension problem or attempt quantify their knowledge or experience on any matter.

If you have any point to make, do it without the personal attacks.

I suggest you apologize and back off.

Let's review what I said.

It's your story, Jeff. Tell it any way you like. None of it really matters.

...it turns out that Fender still honors Guild's warranty. I was mistaken. Gee...my bad.

Apology accepted.

You just have a hard time understanding fairly basic distinctions...

Well... that wasn't very nice. But I'm cool. You're frustrated and I get it.

...something about which you are obviously ignorant.

Ok... you're REALLY frustrated and feel like lashing out. But insulting forum members is bad form. Poking the bear is a bad decision.

Perhaps you think that your warranty repairs (which really do suck) entitle you to come on this forum and use it as a your own personal whipping post? To promote competing companies and/or their services in an attempt to brow-beat the PRS Tech Center into over-night'ing your guitar? To treat forum members with disdain? It's not cool and I'm not okay with it. Look, you have a valid complaint regarding your V12 finish but it doesn't justify this kind of behavior. And if you think I'll take a few extra bullets to the chest because I'm a Mod and I don't want to be accused of being heavy-handed, you're right. But there IS a line...

School is in...

[sigh] ...and you just crossed it.

When you get back from your 30-day cool down period, please be civil and let us know how your guitar turned out. It sucks that you have to send it back but I'm sure the PTC will absolutely make it right. They're human so things happen (as you can clearly see) but they're 100% behind their warranty and don't need to distinguish regular care from "custom care" like other companies. SE owners get the same service a PS and Collection owners. THAT is how it's done.

Class dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back