V12 Finish Chipping Near Fretboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundbee

Hi there...

So I've got a 2012 Cu24 which I absolutely love. I've got quite a few other guitars that have naturally "reliced" over years of use - so I'm no stranger to and not really bothered by the "less than perfectly smooth" neck. However, I've read a bit about the virtues of the newer v12 finishes - and I'm seeing on "my precious" a possible chink in the armor. Where the finish meets the fretboard it seems that something has caused the finish to flake off a bit (see image). The larger circle is definitely more noticeable where the smaller of the two seems to be the start of a newer blemish point.

IMG_0017_highlight.jpg

This isn't really in a place that would distract playing much - but my questions are:

1) is this a known "weak spot" where the open wood is a point where moisture can be introduced into the wood (sweaty hands, general humidity, etc...) and cause some issue where the finish meets?

2) If I don't want to send (can't bear to part with) the instrument to the fine folks at PTC, is there a recommended diy repair method? e.g. light sanding around the chip edges w/ super ultra fine and then gently seal the edges with some L'Oreal clear nail polish ...?

Thanks in advance!
-Kevin

I have heard of several problems with the V12 finish like that, not sure what the best course of action would be though.
:408mt:

It's under warranty contact PTC and send it back to be fixed!! Simple. You need to have it fixed professionally I have a friend who had the same issues sent in to PTC and now the guitar looks like brand new

Thanks for the input.

Begs another question though... for folks that this has happened to, does it appear again in other places?
I've no doubt that PTC would rock it, but will I end up having to send it back 2, 3, 4 times (or maybe once a year when seasons change, etc...)???

At least one guitar with the issue had a complete refinish. if it goes back to the PTC, it only goes back once... ;)

I sent Abby in & they did an awesome job on her. Total refin. Came back smelling like fresh V12. I would send yours back & let them take care of it.
Before
photobucket-2411-1337952456264.jpg

After
IMG_2903.jpg
IMG_2900.jpg

I have that happening with a 2002 HB1, but I haven't noticed it on any of my other guitars. On the HB it started probably a year or two after I bought the guitar, and while it makes me go hmm, at times, it hasn't really bothered me.

I have it happening on 2009 Cu24 rosewood. Slightest little bump and the finish lifts off the body.

I bought mine used, so I don't have any recourse other than to pay to have it fixed. A little disappointing.

The finish around this screw lifted with the slightest of pressure. And every other ding on the body, the same thing happens.

PA082779.jpg

arrrgh... I just realized that I gave away my shipping box to a buddy - this very past weekend. Next stop Guitar Center to see if they can part with a cardboard box - if not $85 from PTC (although does include shipping to them).

arrrgh... I just realized that I gave away my shipping box to a buddy - this very past weekend. Next stop Guitar Center to see if they can part with a cardboard box - if not $85 from PTC (although does include shipping to them).

Where are you located? I have several boxes.

I sent Abby in & they did an awesome job on her. Total refin. Came back smelling like fresh V12. I would send yours back & let them take care of it.

Chris: no issues since?

I have a spot like that on my DGT Std and I'm wondering if I should even bother if there is a chance that it's coming back.

Albany....Saratoga Springs here!! Whazzzup!!

Hey neighbor. I'm actually in the Troy not far from HVCC. Get up to your neck of the woods every so often - in fact was walking along b-way last weekend ;-)

Thanks for the reply folks! I've sent of the request to PTC. Will post after pics once I get'er back.

I've seen several people post about this issue (with pics) on several different forums since purchasing a new P22 artist package last Thursday.

I don't want to return the guitar if this is a fairly isolated issue, but I don't necessarily want to take the chance that my guitar will be one of the ones with finish-related issues. Even if the finish-related issues start during the 24-hour approval period, the dealer isn't going to take the guitar back if the finish chips while it's in my possession. And, what good does sending the guitar back for warranty repair do if PRS is just going to apply the same super fragile finish?

I wish PRS would've held off on releasing guitars with the V12 finish until these issues had been sorted out. I, for one, would rather have had a guitar with the old finish, even if it allegedly sounded a little worse, than a guitar with a finish that falls apart when you look at it.

Apologies for the negative post. I love PRS guitars, and as a Maryland native, I couldn't be prouder of PRS as a company. But, this P22 is my dream guitar, and I'm bummed that the excitement over receiving it is being compromised by this issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back