V12 Finish Chipping Near Fretboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
This probably isn't the place to discuss this issue, but the first thing I'm wondering is whether your Guild is from the Fender era or before.
It was a Westerly Guild.

Are they under any obligation to cover Guild guitars before they took over ownership?
Yes.

Second, Fender is a huge company. They sell guitars for all budgets.
Iam familiar with Fender Corporation.

I'm sure Fender isn't going to issue a Fed Ex tag to overnight a Squire back to Mexico--or wherever.
They had it 6 months. Not sure what overnight service or ground shipping matters.

Fender Custom Care is amazing.
That was not my experience at all.

I don't know if it's for all Custom Shop guitars or just Masterbuilt guitars. I think it's for all Custom Shop stuff, but I might be mistaken.
It was a Guild, not a custom or masterbuilt Fender. Fender did all the repairs after procuring Guild.

We're talking about high end PRS guitars here, guitars that cost 3-4K, just like Fender Custom Shop or Masterbuilt guitars.
Oh good, I'm on the right forum. :tongue:

I expect premium customer service for those instruments and at that price point.
Me too. That's one of the 1st things that helped me make the transition from PRS player to PRS freak.

Fender delivers big time.
Oh, they delivered my Guild alright. 6 months after receiving it. All jacked up. BIG time. I'll find pics - unless I deleted them. I was so angry over the obvious carelessness that I couldn't even look at the guitar anymore, much less play it. I'll never buy a new Fender or Fender-owned product again.

Last edited:
I doubt your Guild was covered by Fender's Custom Care service, especially considering the program was just implemented a couple years ago. End of discussion, really.

Buy a nice guitar from Fender and see what they'll do for you if something goes wrong.

I doubt your Guild was covered by Fender's Custom Care service, especially considering the program was just implemented a couple years ago.
I don't care what their warranty program was called. I had a lifetime warranty on the guitar and Fender was miserable when it came time to back it up.

End of discussion, really.
Fine with me. I'm not the one asking questions.

Buy a nice guitar from Fender and see what they'll do for you if something goes wrong.
Snowballs have a better chance in hell. I had an upper-end Guild (owned by Fender). They were worthless.

YMMV, IMO, and all that.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;88556 said:
I don't care what their warranty program was called. I had a lifetime warranty on the guitar and Fender was miserable when it came time to back it up.

Oh, you mean this company?

"Westerly Guild Guitars has no affiliation with Guild Guitars or Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. "

"Westerly Guild Guitars has no affiliation with Guild Guitars or Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. "

But that's obviously not universally true, since they had Hans ship the instrument to them for repair.

Not that it matters. Hans is a PRS player, and that's a good thing for PRS and Hans. YMMV.

And yet, at the time of repair, Fender told me they WERE responsible for the warranty but they were not going to honor it because they said (without seeing it) that the bridge was probably lifting from the guitar due to inconsistent humidity throughout it's life.

Then, when they agreed that it was not my fault (due to a well connected dealer/luthier that they trusted), it was repaired by someone who was truly incompetent. Why was it repaired by Fender? Because it WAS under warranty and Fender WAS responsible. Why else would they have "tried" to do it?

Then... mayhem. They ruined it. It even passed their QC before coming back to me. Lame.

Grind your axe all you want. Fender sucks.

Yeah, Fender sucks because they tried to repair a guitar they had no obligation to mess with in the first place. You should have had your luthier do the work and paid for it. Maybe the guitar sucked to begin with? Beats me. Next time buy a Martin.

Yeah, Fender sucks because they tried to repair a guitar they had no obligation to mess with in the first place.
You're going to have to argue that one with Fender, Jeff. They're the one's who said they WERE responsible. I suppose it's possible my guitar was mailed somewhere else and some magic (albeit totally incompetent) elves gave it a whirl.

You should have had your luthier do the work and paid for it.
No sh!t. Live and learn.

Maybe the guitar sucked to begin with?
It's possible that the issue was related to build quality. But that has nothing to do with Fender ruining it - or keeping it for 6 months - or completely missing the screw-up in QC.

Next time buy a Martin.
I've considered it but I want a jumbo with maple sides and arched back. I'm waiting for Paul to build a 12-string to rival the Guild JF65-12. I may just bite the bullet and buy another Westerly JF65-12 if I can find one. Until then, I'll be playing my 12-string Archtop.

Edit: I found some photos. Click it to enlarge.

Fender_Sucks_zps48038b58.jpg

Last edited:
By the way... I just called Fender Customer Relations at (480) 596-7195.

They still honor (if jacking up your guitar counts as honor) Guild lifetime warranties from original owners.

I asked him to verify that there were no exceptions so he put me on hold to speak with his supervisor. When he came back on the line he said (and this is a direct quote) "the Westerly instruments are absolutely covered."

So--back to the issue at hand...

My H2 with V12 finish problems just got back from PTC today. Unfortunately, it has yet another problem with the finish. That means either PTC missed it (not likely, right??) or it occurred during shipping. Or, worse yet, maybe it happened sometime after I opened the case this afternoon. This time it's flaking off on the side of the body. (Last time it was on the neck) So, it'll be going back once again. No one can tell me with a straight face that the V12 finish doesn't have serious problems. It definitely does on my guitar. I couldn't possibly be more unhappy with this guitar.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;88729 said:
By the way... I just called Fender Customer Relations at (480) 596-7195.

They still honor (if jacking up your guitar counts as honor) Guild lifetime warranties from original owners.

We are talking about two separate entities. I'm referring to the Custom Care program that Fender provides for all its Custom Shop and Masterbuilt guitars.

I'm sorry you got hosed on your repair. They should have taken better care of you. They should have sent it to a luthier who knew what he was doing. Obviously something went terribly wrong.

However, what I'm talking about is the procedure for taking care of issues with Custom Shop and/or Masterbuilt electric guitars that have problems. The guitars are picked up at your door, overnighted via Fed Ex back to Corona, CA, and fixed. That's hard to beat.

p.s. My guitar will have spent far more time with PTC than it has in my hands. That sucks beyond words.

So--back to the issue at hand...
No one can tell me with a straight face that the V12 finish doesn't have serious problems. It definitely does on my guitar. I couldn't possibly be more unhappy with this guitar.

I agree and feel your pain. At least hopefully you're the original owner and are getting the work done for free. Those of us that have to buy from the used market get hosed on the V12 shortcomings. I have a 2012 DGT that has the same flaking all around where the neck and fretboard meet. But since I am the second owner, I would have to pay shipping and labor to fix what seems to be a very common issue--attributed to the build, not because of improper care or misuse.

So I am just pretending it's early relic'ing. :)

I noticed my finish starting to flake too. Mine is on the very top corner of bass-side headstock horn, backside. It's pretty minute, but I'm kinda worried it'll start doing it elsewhere.

I agree and feel your pain. At least hopefully you're the original owner and are getting the work done for free. Those of us that have to buy from the used market get hosed on the V12 shortcomings. I have a 2012 DGT that has the same flaking all around where the neck and fretboard meet. But since I am the second owner, I would have to pay shipping and labor to fix what seems to be a very common issue--attributed to the build, not because of improper care or misuse.

So I am just pretending it's early relic'ing. :)

I am the original owner, so I guess that's the good news. I can't believe PRS won't take care of your guitar for you when it's a known problem with this finish. Maybe a full-scale recall would be overkill, but extending an offer to fix any guitars with finish problems doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Waiting to hear from PTC this morning...tick tock...tick tock.

I noticed my finish starting to flake too. Mine is on the very top corner of bass-side headstock horn, backside. It's pretty minute, but I'm kinda worried it'll start doing it elsewhere.

If my guitar is any indication, it will. I'd advise contacting them.

One more follow-up: I just got off the phone with PRS, and they are definitely taking care of me. I'm getting great service from PRS about the problem with my guitar. So, I'm not trying to bad mouth *them*. It's just a terribly frustrating thing to have to deal with, as I'm sure it must be for the company, too.

And so it goes. There are more important problems in the world.

One more follow-up: I just got off the phone with PRS, and they are definitely taking care of me. I'm getting great service from PRS about the problem with my guitar. So, I'm not trying to bad mouth *them*. It's just a terribly frustrating thing to have to deal with, as I'm sure it must be for the company, too.

And so it goes. There are more important problems in the world.

I have been hoping that you would be able to post this in this thread. I was worried that the thread would turn into a PRS bash before all of your options were exhausted. Glad to see that this is getting resolved as I believe I would.

We are talking about two separate entities. I'm referring to the Custom Care program that Fender provides for all its Custom Shop and Masterbuilt guitars.
Then why were you talking about "Fender Musical Instruments Corporation" in post #44 - or going on about how they weren't responsible for repairs to a Guild THEY SCREWED UP?

I'm sorry you got hosed on your repair. They should have taken better care of you. They should have sent it to a luthier who knew what he was doing. Obviously something went terribly wrong.
Well... I have to agree with you. I should have skipped Fender repair and had a qualified luthier repair my guitar. It's a painful lesson.

However, what I'm talking about is the procedure for taking care of issues with Custom Shop and/or Masterbuilt electric guitars that have problems. The guitars are picked up at your door, overnighted via Fed Ex back to Corona, CA, and fixed. That's hard to beat.
Actually, what you were talking about went like this... (it's hard to pretend you didn't say something still visible in the same thread)

This probably isn't the place to discuss this issue, but the first thing I'm wondering is whether your Guild is from the Fender era or before. Are they under any obligation to cover Guild guitars before they took over ownership? Second, Fender is a huge company. They sell guitars for all budgets. I'm sure Fender isn't going to issue a Fed Ex tag to overnight a Squire back to Mexico--or wherever.

But now you're singing a new tune - which is fine. Just don't expect me to sit back and watch you play it off like you didn't choose this discussion.

Fender Custom Care is amazing. I don't know if it's for all Custom Shop guitars or just Masterbuilt guitars. I think it's for all Custom Shop stuff, but I might be mistaken.
Given your track record...

We're talking about high end PRS guitars here, guitars that cost 3-4K, just like Fender Custom Shop or Masterbuilt guitars.
No, we were talking about Fender ruining my Guild and then you telling me I should be grateful they even tried to fix it because they were under no obligation to do so. Now, after clear proof has been provided that I actually know what I'm talking about (imagine that) you sit here playing it off like you never said that.

I expect premium customer service for those instruments and at that price point. Fender delivers big time.
No. They don't. See picture of jacked-up 12-string.

p.s. My guitar will have spent far more time with PTC than it has in my hands. That sucks beyond words.
This is a different subject entirely and has nothing to do with Blender... ermm... Fender. I have no dog in that fight. It's between you and PRS.

Awesome.

Last edited:
So I'm wondering about the turn around time for this repair. I'm sure it all depends on how busy the PTC is, but is there anyone has had the repair done and can tell me how long theirs took??? Not that I expect it to be done in the same matter of time, but just I am just curious. I have two backup guitars, so I'm not in terrible shape if I go without one for a while, but I haven't had the guitar a year yet (and actually am still paying it off...:dontknow:) so I'd like to have some sort of idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back