V12 Finish Chipping Near Fretboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen several people post about this issue (with pics) on several different forums since purchasing a new P22 artist package last Thursday.

I don't want to return the guitar if this is a fairly isolated issue, but I don't necessarily want to take the chance that my guitar will be one of the ones with finish-related issues. Even if the finish-related issues start during the 24-hour approval period, the dealer isn't going to take the guitar back if the finish chips while it's in my possession. And, what good does sending the guitar back for warranty repair do if PRS is just going to apply the same super fragile finish?

I wish PRS would've held off on releasing guitars with the V12 finish until these issues had been sorted out. I, for one, would rather have had a guitar with the old finish, even if it allegedly sounded a little worse, than a guitar with a finish that falls apart when you look at it.

Apologies for the negative post. I love PRS guitars, and as a Maryland native, I couldn't be prouder of PRS as a company. But, this P22 is my dream guitar, and I'm bummed that the excitement over receiving it is being compromised by this issue.

I would bet it's more isolated than you fear - this being a forum that has direct communication to the company, I think many people with issues are coming here - compare these issues to the total number that have been done, you're likely talking about a very small percentage overall. For what it's worth I have 4 V12 guitars in Houston and they haven't had any issues - if they can survive this heat/humidity, they can take anything.

(I do have one in nitro that's flaking, but the V12 haven't shown any problems)

I love PRS guitars, and as a Maryland native, I couldn't be prouder of PRS as a company. But, this P22 is my dream guitar, and I'm bummed that the excitement over receiving it is being compromised by this issue.

Again, just throwing it out there that the 5 or so threads there may have been regarding V12 issue are merely a hair of the amount of guitars PRS turn out each year so I think thats a great winning percentage. Things like that could happen to any manufacturer with any type of finish/clear.
Not to mention PRS Customer Service has repaired several with no issues what so ever.

edit: ninja'd!

Again, just throwing it out there that the 5 or so threads there may have been regarding V12 issue are merely a hair of the amount of guitars PRS turn out each year so I think thats a great winning percentage. Things like that could happen to any manufacturer with any type of finish/clear.
Not to mention PRS Customer Service has repaired several with no issues what so ever.

The guitar that I have this happen with is 10 years old, it probably started soon after I got it. Certainly by 2006. The others I have, V12 or not V12, haven't had an issue.

The guitar that I have this happen with is 10 years old, it probably started soon after I got it. Certainly by 2006. The others I have, V12 or not V12, haven't had an issue.

Hi guys same problem here... the chipping is just begun on the edges of the keyboard and there are some other points where the finish is turning white!Several.. white points!I don't understand why: (! I would send it to the custumer services but but I live in Italy!
Does anyone know the reasons for this problem and in the case, if I have to send in maryland my guitar, the waiting times to solve the problem?
Thanks a lot guys! ;)

I just bought my first PRS, a Hollowbody II.

I did something stupid last night, though, when trying to lower the string height. I was using a large screwdriver with the tip wrapped in a t-shirt. It slipped, and I put a tiny ding in the top. It's barely noticeable, but *I* know it's there, and if I look for it, I know right where it is.

I was wondering if there is any way to do a DIY repair on something like this (and/or maybe have my luthier buff it out). It's not worth sending the guitar in, I don't think. It just bums me out a bit b/c it was a boneheaded thing to do, and the guitar has only been in my hands for a day.

Also, where can I get the correct tool to raise/lower the stop tail piece? I didn't want to use a screwdriver in the first place b/c I feared something like this could happen. Plus, it puts some marks on the large screw in tail pieces themselves.

I just bought my first PRS, a Hollowbody II.

I did something stupid last night, though, when trying to lower the string height. I was using a large screwdriver with the tip wrapped in a t-shirt. It slipped, and I put a tiny ding in the top. It's barely noticeable, but *I* know it's there, and if I look for it, I know right where it is.

I was wondering if there is any way to do a DIY repair on something like this (and/or maybe have my luthier buff it out). It's not worth sending the guitar in, I don't think. It just bums me out a bit b/c it was a boneheaded thing to do, and the guitar has only been in my hands for a day.

Also, where can I get the correct tool to raise/lower the stop tail piece? I didn't want to use a screwdriver in the first place b/c I feared something like this could happen. Plus, it puts some marks on the large screw in tail pieces themselves.

If you want to fix that ding and never know it was there, the PRS PTC can get you there, and the turnaround time is very fast. Or you could just leave it, of course.

They also do a very nice job on setups.

Did you loosen the strings before you tried the adjustment? Were you sure it was a bridge issue and not a truss rod issue?

I did loosen them. The neck seemed to have the right amount of relief--although I'm not an expert by any means. The strings were just a bit too high for my liking. Lowering the tail pieces solved that issue, although now (perhaps?) the tail piece does sit pretty low.

If you want to fix that ding and never know it was there, the PRS PTC can get you there, and the turnaround time is very fast. Or you could just leave it, of course.

They also do a very nice job on setups.

Maybe I will give them a call and have them fix it and do a perfect setup. Why not, right?

Thanks for the advice.

Did you loosen the strings before you tried the adjustment? Were you sure it was a bridge issue and not a truss rod issue?

if it was the action the bridge is where you adjust it. the trus rod is not meant to adjust action just neck relief. Yes if relief is too much one can have higher strings in the lower end of the neck but won`t change drastically at the 12th fret where action is to be measured at.

I did loosen them. The neck seemed to have the right amount of relief--although I'm not an expert by any means. The strings were just a bit too high for my liking. Lowering the tail pieces solved that issue, although now (perhaps?) the tail piece does sit pretty low.

does not matter how low the tail piece sits as long as the action is correct. My P22 from the factory was set up a bit too high. I am not talking too high for me but higher than industry standard for 12th fret action. There is not much more adjustment to get it alot lower on mine right now. One thing I don`t really care for with the SE guitars is the bridge sits way too high on the studs which can cause stability issues. Closer to the guitar the better. Not sure what the deal is but the difference between the SE and USA prs is major in the bridge hieght off the top. same thing actually with many Gibson standard USA models vs their custom shop. The neck angle must be alot different or the way they are set into the body.

Thanks for the input.

Begs another question though... for folks that this has happened to, does it appear again in other places?
I've no doubt that PTC would rock it, but will I end up having to send it back 2, 3, 4 times (or maybe once a year when seasons change, etc...)???

I have a new Hollowbody 2, and the V12 finish is flaking off on the back of the neck. I thought it was just a little grime from the last time I played the guitar, but when I tried to scrape it off, I realized it was the finish that had bubbled up, dried out, and started to flake off.

Bummed. Hopefully it'll be on its way back to PRS in the next day or two. I've already sent Shawn an email. But I wanted to see if it's a known issue--and it appears it is.

Last edited:
It's still a relatively low number of instruments that this seems to take place on with PRS. I wouldn't classify it as a known issue. In particular, the issue at the fret ends(seems the most common spot) is usually due to a piece of rosewood that is more "oily" than normal. We all have heard the extent PRS goes to with drying their woods of moisture before production. As stated earlier, this has happened with pretty much any gloss finish, so the V12 really isn't the culprit...there's several poly guitars on here as well. I mean we're dealing with wood here, a material from nature - you only have so much control over it. If we look at history, I think the whole reason companies used binding on necks was to try to protect the fret end, reducing the chance of moisture lifting the fret or chipping the finish....maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I remember. There are a whole lot of quality instruments that have had this issue, I'm betting PRS is on the lower end of this issue occurring, whatever the industry curve might be.

I understand it sucks when it happens to you(I've been there) and it's easy to say "it's a big problem with such and such whatever" - but the percentages are small. I'm sure PRS' goal for this is 0%, it's not like they want to deal with it. Like I said, there is a ton of work put in at PRS to keep standards and quality high. We all know that. No other major manufacturer goes to the lengths PRS does to ensure quality.

*steps down off of soapbox* :D

Last edited:
I'm glad the PTC covers this!! Gibson is notorious for finish issues and they don't cover that AT ALL!! I've actually had Gibsons crack while in the case! I think EVERY white Gibson that I owned had a crack where the Gibson inlaid logo was... With the Nitro Finish on the Gibsons I had to wipe down the neck after playing for 20 minutes... With the V12 finish I never have to wipe down the neck... Let's put it this way... If the finish bubbles or cracks I will gladly pay for shipping to have it fixed instead of having to pay for a total refinish.... AND SHIPPING!

I No other major manufacturer goes to the lengths PRS does.

Fender picked up my guitars with finish problems and overnighted them via Fed Ex to *and* from Corona. That sets the bar for service pretty high.

I have no doubt my H2 will get fixed. It's just a pain.

The bridge started to peel off my 12-string Guild. Fender (who now owns Guild) denied my warranty request outright. I found a luthier with an "in" who got it approved. They kept my guitar for something close to 6 months. When it returned, the bridge was glued back on a few millimeters off center. It looked awful. I sold the guitar - which was used in my wedding. F#%¥ Fender.

Last edited:
Fender picked up my guitars with finish problems and overnighted them via Fed Ex to *and* from Corona. That sets the bar for service pretty high.

I have no doubt my H2 will get fixed. It's just a pain.
I was referring to PRS' commitment to going the extra mile to ensure quality. Few, if any, manufacturers so what they do on that end. Most definitely not anyone that is producing the amount of instruments PRS does.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;88027 said:
The bridge started to peel off my 12-string Guild. Fender (who now owns Guild) denied my warranty request outright. I found a luthier with an "in" who got it approved. They kept my guitar for something close to 6 months. When it returned, the bridge was glued back on a few millimeters off center. It looked awful. I sold the guitar - which was used in my wedding. F#%¥ Fender.
Wow that would turn you off for life huh? I guess that's why when PRSh asks you "how many Fenders do you own" you say "none".

All in!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;88027 said:

This probably isn't the place to discuss this issue, but the first thing I'm wondering is whether your Guild is from the Fender era or before. Are they under any obligation to cover Guild guitars before they took over ownership? Second, Fender is a huge company. They sell guitars for all budgets. I'm sure Fender isn't going to issue a Fed Ex tag to overnight a Squire back to Mexico--or wherever.

Fender Custom Care is amazing. I don't know if it's for all Custom Shop guitars or just Masterbuilt guitars. I think it's for all Custom Shop stuff, but I might be mistaken. We're talking about high end PRS guitars here, guitars that cost 3-4K, just like Fender Custom Shop or Masterbuilt guitars. I expect premium customer service for those instruments and at that price point. Fender delivers big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back