Utter disappointment with PRS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of upsetting some of the more ardent members of the forum, there does seem to be at times be an almost cult like willingness to act as apologists for PRS in cases where it is simply not justified, like this one. They are very, very good but they clearly drop some clunkers.

At the risk of upsetting some of the more ardent members of the forum, there does seem to be at times be an almost cult like willingness to act as apologists for PRS in cases where it is simply not justified, like this one. They are very, very good but they clearly drop some clunkers.
Yeah sure, no one is perfect, every company can make mistakes. It's how a company resolves the mistakes that shows their character

Okay - first, I haven't seen a post from the OP yet today so I hope to god still that this was a joke he kept going all day.

But I fear it may be real. In that case I would absolutely return it and then figure out if you want to search reverb, Sweetwater, American Music supply, etc... for another Trampas Green 594. Or, cut bait on PRS after this experience.

So the grain on that guitar might be 10- top rated but the finish sucks! (in my opinion). (or it was a good use of the photoshop burn tool which is still my hope.) I think PTC would fix it but I think you would wait a long time for a re-finish. If it was me, I would return that one and look for another PRS.

Yeah sure, no one is perfect, every company can make mistakes. It's how a company resolves the mistakes that shows their character
It's also a question of what they're willing to send out the door in the first place. I'm thinking that QC these days isn't what it was in the good old days.

I'm thinking that QC these days isn't what it was in the good old days.
Possibly, but again, mistakes happen, specially when you're into the murky realms of subjective opinions on the cosmetics of wood grain. And of course production is far higher these days, it's easier for one to slip through the net.

Then what is someone paying PRS core prices for??? Not for 2nd rate QC, that's for sure!

Well, if I ordered this guitar as a 10-top, and that is how it came, I might be mildly disappointed, since there are a lot of 10-tops out there that look stupendously symmetrical and even with their flame patterns. Heck, my non-10-top Special 22 LTD has more symmetry than that - but there are a couple spots on it where the flame fades just enough to not qualify for 10-top, I guess.

On the other hand, I like slightly oddball grain patterns, and I might find this unique enough to be acceptable.

On the third hand, I have a 10-top CU24 (2002, IIRC) that looks even less like a 10-top than this one. It truly is a case of "in the eye of the beholder".

I don't consider this a QC fail, more of a "max variation in what qualifies for 10-top". But if the OP isn't happy, returning it really is the only option - that dark band will haunt him/her forever. And then look for one currently available from an online dealer to replace it.

There’s a story of one of PRS’s guitars that no-one wanted because of a wood “flaw” and then he turned it into a prototype or early dragon or something I can’t remember exactly, and now people want it for big $$$ but he won’t sell it. Anybody have a link to that video? I’ve seen it in this forum before somewhere. Anyways, I’d rock the OP’s guitar any day of the week.

Just to be clear, PRS has done absolutely nothing to resolve my issue. Nothing. I'm sure all of the blame storming will come from this (it's your fault, it's the dealer's fault, you're being unreasonable. etc.) The bottom line is that PRS screwed up my order was unable to fix it and they have done absolutely nothing to make it right.

[edit] Also, the guitar has NOT arrived yet. I'm deep into year 2 of waiting, and after 6 - 7 months of requesting ANY type of update I finally did get something that said July.

We still don't know if the guitar IS a 10-top for sure - just someone who has posted a couple of Pictures of the front and claiming its a 10top. I am not saying it isn't, just like I am not saying it is either. For all I know, the OP could have been told by the retailer it is, like they were told it was an Artist Pack guitar and then marked down to a 10top.

Again I am NOT calling anyone a liar or apportioning blame on any one or any company, all I have asked for is further evidence first before jumping to any conclusions. The back of the headstock can give us a bit more information, tell us a bit more about the guitar. That can tell us whether the information we have heard from the OP actually corresponds with instrument and shed more light on things

That Photo could tell us that the retailer has given false information for example, misled the OP and is the one who is responsible, the one who has to put things right. They could be making stuff up, making the OP feel like its PRS making things seem unhelpful or reluctant to put things right. Telling the OP he has a 'better' guitar than he would have got (an Artist Pack Spec) but the mark brought it down, that PRS can't do anything to put it right for at least a year etc.

Until we get the full story, all we have is what the OP has said and a few pics. For all we know, the guitar may of been a used guitar, a Chinese fake and it costs too much to return to China so this person is trying to get a 'free' fix from PRS. Again - not saying it is a fake BUT we do not have all the information yet...

Just to be clear, PRS has done absolutely nothing to resolve my issue. Nothing. I'm sure all of the blame storming will come from this (it's your fault, it's the dealer's fault, you're being unreasonable. etc.) The bottom line is that PRS screwed up my order was unable to fix it and they have done absolutely nothing to make it right.

[edit] Also, the guitar has NOT arrived yet. I'm deep into year 2 of waiting, and after 6 - 7 months of requesting ANY type of update I finally did get something that said July.
I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but you didn't order your guitar from PRS. You ordered it from your dealer. Your dealer ordered it from PRS. PRS doesn't deal with individuals - even PS orders go through a dealer, although you get a more personal touch via the factory visit to pick out wood.

All of the dealers I have dealt with have been pretty straight forward, and seem to have good communication with the PRS factory. It is the dealer's responsibility to get the order satisfied - if PRS erred in some way, OK, but the dealer is supposed to fix it, and if they can't they should refund any deposit ASAP with a huge apology.

If your dealer can't get you a straight answer, then they have a poor relationship with PRS for some reason, or they themselves are a mess (or both, as a result). Your profile says you live in California - you have protections under US law - cancel the order, get another order in from somewhere else or buy from a dealer with current stock.

We still don't know if the guitar IS a 10-top for sure - just someone who has posted a couple of Pictures of the front and claiming its a 10top. I am not saying it isn't, just like I am not saying it is either. For all I know, the OP could have been told by the retailer it is, like they were told it was an Artist Pack guitar and then marked down to a 10top.

Again I am NOT calling anyone a liar or apportioning blame on any one or any company, all I have asked for is further evidence first before jumping to any conclusions. The back of the headstock can give us a bit more information, tell us a bit more about the guitar. That can tell us whether the information we have heard from the OP actually corresponds with instrument and shed more light on things
Good point - a photo of the back of the headstock and/or a photo of the hang-tag would help in this manner.

Personally, I think it IS a bad 10-top and I too would be disappointed. The guitar has the hybrid hardware which, not always, but typically come on 10-tops. The back of the headstock contains the SN and I too would be hesitant on posting it online. Also the figuring, beyond the streak screams 10-top. I'm hoping OP will chime in to reassure us this isn't a bad April fools joke. With that said, we are not customer service therefore I don't see why OP need to show us the back of the headstock. What complicates the situation for OP is that he is not in the US, but in Canada, which limits his choices. However, I believe I've seen faded whale blue 594s listed on reverb from sellers located in Canada. If I was in OP's shoes I'd send the one he got back and just get another one online from a Canadian seller and not restrict myself to driving distance sellers. Because this is OP's first PRS, I'd understand if doesn't trust PRS yet, like most of us, for many of us have had plenty of time for PRS to earn our trust. PRS customer service is amazing and I'd bet they'll also try to help OP in the matter.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but you didn't order your guitar from PRS. You ordered it from your dealer. Your dealer ordered it from PRS. PRS doesn't deal with individuals - even PS orders go through a dealer, although you get a more personal touch via the factory visit to pick out wood.

All of the dealers I have dealt with have been pretty straight forward, and seem to have good communication with the PRS factory. It is the dealer's responsibility to get the order satisfied - if PRS erred in some way, OK, but the dealer is supposed to fix it, and if they can't they should refund any deposit ASAP with a huge apology.

If your dealer can't get you a straight answer, then they have a poor relationship with PRS for some reason, or they themselves are a mess (or both, as a result). Your profile says you live in California - you have protections under US law - cancel the order, get another order in from somewhere else or buy from a dealer with current stock.

As predicted, here comes the blamestorming.... Sigh.

Don't want to side track this thread, so I'm not going to address your comments directly but am HAPPY to discuss it elsewhere. I was simply trying to provide a concrete example of PRS the company (definitely not my dealer) screwing something up and doing nothing to rectify the situation. I love the guitars. I'll probably buy more. I will never ever ever again order something from PRS.

As predicted, here comes the blamestorming.... Sigh.

Don't want to side track this thread, so I'm not going to address your comments directly but am HAPPY to discuss it elsewhere. I was simply trying to provide a concrete example of PRS the company (definitely not my dealer) screwing something up and doing nothing to rectify the situation. I love the guitars. I'll probably buy more. I will never ever ever again order something from PRS.
Well, you missed my point, but OK.

Guys, please, for the last time... 100% no lie, nor an April fools joke. I hope these pics can prove to some of you.

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6gcmj730ebs9l5/594 - HS.jpg?dl=0

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb70s8u9h0e56wb/594 - 5.jpg?dl=0

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nq22df8r1y6aktx/594 - 6.jpg?dl=0

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p9930rrfu7r4vm/594 - 7.jpg?dl=0

So what did you decide to do?

The second pic you posted makes it look a little less bad than before. That said, if it were me, I would be returning the guitar to the dealer and getting my money back, or just ordering another guitar from PRS. It sucks, but **** happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back