Utter disappointment with PRS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emine

I can't begin to express my sheer disappointment I've experienced purchasing my first PRS guitar.
If you’re curious to know why, well, just take a look for yourself and read on.

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4ix3ce78yx9gdd/594 - Circled.jpg?dl=0

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyhmxfcggfcpy5p/594 - 3.jpg?dl=0

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etjyavf4omizn3v/594 - 4.jpg?dl=0

For the longest time, like many of you, I've always dreamed of owning a PRS guitar one day. After many years of saving and admiring everything they do and after hitting a small life goal of mine, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 594 in 10 top.

After full YEAR long wait, i finally got the call, and this is what came in. A clearly flawed top. Keep in mind that this is supposed to be 10 top which by their definition is ‘not to have any dead spots, and have clearly defined figures across the entirety of the body’. Regardless of what is and is not a 10 top, out of hundreds of pictures and many guitars I’ve seen in person, I’ve never come across anything like this before.

Already frustrated with not getting anywhere with my dealer, I decided to reach out to PRS directly. They claim that without the dark patch, this guitar would be considered an ‘artist package guitar’ but it was downgraded to a 10-top because of it. Now I don’t know about you guys, but to me, a $6000 + (CAD) guitar of this calibre, regardless of what grade it is should NOT have such a big, unnatural looking dead spot. This is supposed to be a flagship, top of the line production model we are talking about here.

Even still, I totally get that things like this can happen and maybe this was missed during the build process, I was fine with that. But the part that got me was… After I politely declined to take a discount for the additional 10 top fee as all I wanted was to receive a guitar with a proper top, I was told if I’m not happy with it, return it and place a new order and wait back in line if I wanted a new one... I’m sorry but this is simply unacceptable after I already waited a whole year for this. Why should I have re-order a new guitar and go back to the end of the line and wait another who knows how long, when I was the one who received a bad product? As a new or (now past) customer, this left a really sour taste in my mouth and it will be very difficult to spend that kind of money with them again.

I’m also worried that now that I’ve returned the guitar, this same guitar will be then be sent to another unfortunate person who has also spent their hard earned money and will experience the same thing as I did.

If anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know how it was dealt with.

Thanks

PRS will make it right by you. Not sure about the year wait the first time around, that seems quite long for a 'production' type of process.

Is the blemish in the wood or poor sanding/staining? Pictures look like the latter. If so, once they get it back they could likely strip and refinish, either for you or get your replacement to you and resell this one.

Sometimes wood just has these things. Don't worry about returning it. You are right someone else will get it, but they may think it's better than perfect. People have different tastes. Get the one you want.

The dealer shouldn’t have sold you that guitar, or at the least, without having you see it first. Should it have left the factory? Hmm...not sure. Should the dealer have been your advocate and kept that guitar from coming in contact with an unsuspecting customer? Yes.

Sorry to see that. I wouldn’t expect that from a brand which (in my experience) has good quality control. If the guitar cost £300 then maybe, but not for this kind of money.

Good luck with resolving this issue.

I can't begin to express my sheer disappointment I've experienced purchasing my first PRS guitar.
If you’re curious to know why, well, just take a look for yourself and read on.

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4ix3ce78yx9gdd/594 - Circled.jpg?dl=0

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyhmxfcggfcpy5p/594 - 3.jpg?dl=0

p.jpeg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etjyavf4omizn3v/594 - 4.jpg?dl=0

For the longest time, like many of you, I've always dreamed of owning a PRS guitar one day. After many years of saving and admiring everything they do and after hitting a small life goal of mine, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 594 in 10 top.

After full YEAR long wait, i finally got the call, and this is what came in. A clearly flawed top. Keep in mind that this is supposed to be 10 top which by their definition is ‘not to have any dead spots, and have clearly defined figures across the entirety of the body’. Regardless of what is and is not a 10 top, out of hundreds of pictures and many guitars I’ve seen in person, I’ve never come across anything like this before.

Already frustrated with not getting anywhere with my dealer, I decided to reach out to PRS directly. They claim that without the dark patch, this guitar would be considered an ‘artist package guitar’ but it was downgraded to a 10-top because of it. Now I don’t know about you guys, but to me, a $6000 + (CAD) guitar of this calibre, regardless of what grade it is should NOT have such a big, unnatural looking dead spot. This is supposed to be a flagship, top of the line production model we are talking about here.

Even still, I totally get that things like this can happen and maybe this was missed during the build process, I was fine with that. But the part that got me was… After I politely declined to take a discount for the additional 10 top fee as all I wanted was to receive a guitar with a proper top, I was told if I’m not happy with it, return it and place a new order and wait back in line if I wanted a new one... I’m sorry but this is simply unacceptable after I already waited a whole year for this. Why should I have re-order a new guitar and go back to the end of the line and wait another who knows how long, when I was the one who received a bad product? As a new or (now past) customer, this left a really sour taste in my mouth and it will be very difficult to spend that kind of money with them again.

I’m also worried that now that I’ve returned the guitar, this same guitar will be then be sent to another unfortunate person who has also spent their hard earned money and will experience the same thing as I did.

If anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know how it was dealt with.

Thanks
You picked quite the day to make a complaint. ;)

Is this your idea of an April fool's joke?

There is no way in hell that guitar would ever be allowed to leave any factory from any brand.

Every brand knows that a whole mess of people buy guitars with their eyes. Hence 10 tops and figured maple. In this day and age, everybody has a bullhorn on the internet to allow them to scream dissatisfaction. One upset customer has the potential to bring any company to it's fucking knees.

If this is a true story, I suspect that heads are going to roll at the factory. PRSh is going to shitbricks when he hears about this.

According to their website and sales propaganda, every single last employee at PRSHQ is a self-contained QA/QC department.

As I understand it, any employee can pull any guitar from any point in the production line at any time for any reason in order to correct any issues.

This thing would've had to pass
Carving
Sanding
Staining
Sanding
Buffing
Multiple assembly stages
Final QC
Testing
Packaging

I find this story impossible to believe. There is no way in hell any employee of any guitar company would let this guitar get by them without voicing concern.

Not only am I calling bullshyt, I'm calling this the worst and dumbest April fool's joke in history.

If it's true, I would be lighting up their social media and putting them on blast like nobody has ever put anybody on blast before.

This is the double edged sword of rubbing the stain directly on wood. It can really pop the figure, but it can also absorb into certain spots more than others. That is a killer top besides that spot. I'm sure it looked killer before it was shot with clear. Probably by the point a guitar is shot with urethane the top has already been decided to be a "10" or not.

Wow you totally got me! I was shocked they would let that one out as a 10 top. ...or any top. I mean, it's not awful, but I wouldn't be happy with that for a $1000 guitar. Forget about a core 10 top that you had to wait a year for. ...You totally got me.

Hey guys, thank you for the support and sympathy. I'm am so bothered by this that I didn't even realize what day it was posted but I assure you, 100% this is NO joke and apologize for the bad timing.

I've posted in the Mccarty 594 thread in the past about a year ago around the time I was researching and ready to place my order. I'm using this account for this post because I didn't think people from PRS would take a post like this seriously under my username "Bucketfeet" which I used before.

Wow you totally got me! I was shocked they would let that one out as a 10 top. ...or any top. I mean, it's not awful, but I wouldn't be happy with that for a $1000 guitar. Forget about a core 10 top that you had to wait a year for. ...You totally got me.

Right? I mean, I totally get that stuff can get missed. I wasn't even mad at that. Just send me a new one and they got a happy new customer for life. But to pass this off as a "DOWNGRADED ARTIST PACKAGE" as if nothing is wrong with it.... that's just downright insulting to me...

Hey guys, thank you for the support and sympathy. I'm am so bothered by this that I didn't even realize what day it was posted but I assure you, 100% this is NO joke and apologize for the bad timing.

I've posted in the Mccarty 594 thread in the past about a year ago around the time I was researching and ready to place my order. I'm using this account for this post because I didn't think people from PRS would take a post like this seriously under my username "Bucketfeet" which I used before.

Right? I mean, I totally get that stuff can get missed. I wasn't even mad at that. Just send me a new one and they got a happy new customer for life. But to pass this off as a "DOWNGRADED ARTIST PACKAGE" as if nothing is wrong with it.... that's just downright insulting to me...

I hope this gets worked out to your satisfaction. The downgraded AP thing wouldn't sit well with me either. Good luck.

Sorry this guitar didn't do it for you and I'm sure PRS will get you one you can love.
I kinda like that top , I agree that is not a 10 IMHO

I'm shocked that left the factory the way it did. That's crazy actually. One thing I can say - PRS customer service is absolutely top notch. Good luck.

Thanks for the good wishes, but they aren't doing anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back