Uhh... Is The CE Back For 2016?

A dealer mentioned on Facebook that the embargo is lifted on the 6th, so more details Wednesday I guess?!?

It looks great, but part of me wishes it was a swamp ash model.
Well, AFAIK the original SAS was literally a Special Run of CEs done in Swamp Ash with an extra middle pickup. So maybe the same evolution will happen here: run regular CEs for a couple years, then do a Swamp Ash version as a limited run, like a Dusty Waring or whatever.

Well, AFAIK the original SAS was literally a Special Run of CEs done in Swamp Ash with an extra middle pickup. So maybe the same evolution will happen here: run regular CEs for a couple years, then do a Swamp Ash version as a limited run, like a Dusty Waring or whatever.

Yeah I think you're right. Regardless, it would be a cool bit of variety for PRS owners, to add a bolt-on, swamp ash guitar to their stable of mahogany/maple/setneck guitars, while still maintaining the PRS feel.

The link is not working?
Correct, as has been mentioned a couple of times: AMS jumped the gun on their webpage listing, so they took it down. Embargo ends Wednesday, allegedly, so perhaps we'll see more before the end of the week.

So I think one has to keep in mind what the CE was intended to be, and why it was discontinued the first time, before judging this new one too harshly. If you want a $3K CE, I suppose, yes, bash away. But that's not what the company is intending this to be.

If we look back at what PRS originally intended the CE to be, then we needn't look any farther than a 1989 brochure that described it as "Maple and Alder, bolt-on traditional feel with a sound all of its own."* One could assume from that statement that PRS initially went into the project to develop a different sounding/type of guitar.

What ended up happening was that customers wound up driving the development of the CE into more of a "budget Custom 24". People couldn't afford a Custom 24 and they wanted a cheaper guitar with most of the upscale features, which is why PRS added a maple top, script logo, and rotary control. To their credit, PRS listened and started adapting its specifications to match what customers wanted.

When PRS changed over to mahogany construction for the CE's the model lost a little bit of its unique tonal charm, and that was a byproduct of them wanting to "..stop CE reject due to (finish) checking and sinking glue lines; reduced labour, higher yield of stock; CE and Custom stock could be interchangeable; better price of stock."* All so customers and PRS could save a few bucks, and that's understandable.

*Taken from Dave Burrluck's The PRS Guitar Book pages 58 and 59

The thing that confuses me a little bit is I'm left wondering if are there enough people who want another cheap Custom 24? The SE and S2 lines both address this need, and very well I might add. Is this new CE a kind of redundancy for that market share?

We have already heard from a few people in this thread who believe that bolt-on guitars are inferior to their set-neck companions, so with that kind of thinking it's of my opinion that none of those dudes are gonna want to make what is essentially a baby-step towards a Core line guitar, and that few of the people who are established CE nuts will bite either.

But what do I know? Nothing. PRS knows their customers better than I do, I only know the fringe fanatics that hang out here!

While I prefer a set mahogany neck, I definitely don't think a bolt-on is in any way inferior, just different.

If we look back at what PRS originally intended the CE to be, then we needn't look any farther than a 1989 brochure that described it as "Maple and Alder, bolt-on traditional feel with a sound all of its own."* One could assume from that statement that PRS initially went into the project to develop a different sounding/type of guitar.

What ended up happening was that customers wound up driving the development of the CE into more of a "budget Custom 24". People couldn't afford a Custom 24 and they wanted a cheaper guitar with most of the upscale features, which is why PRS added a maple top, script logo, and rotary control. To their credit, PRS listened and started adapting its specifications to match what customers wanted.

When PRS changed over to mahogany construction for the CE's the model lost a little bit of its unique tonal charm, and that was a byproduct of them wanting to "..stop CE reject due to (finish) checking and sinking glue lines; reduced labour, higher yield of stock; CE and Custom stock could be interchangeable; better price of stock."* All so customers and PRS could save a few bucks, and that's understandable.

*Taken from Dave Burrluck's The PRS Guitar Book pages 58 and 59

The thing that confuses me a little bit is I'm left wondering if are there enough people who want another cheap Custom 24? The SE and S2 lines both address this need, and very well I might add. Is this new CE a kind of redundancy for that market share?

We have already heard from a few people in this thread who believe that bolt-on guitars are inferior to their set-neck companions, so with that kind of thinking it's of my opinion that none of those dudes are gonna want to make what is essentially a baby-step towards a Core line guitar, and that few of the people who are established CE nuts will bite either.

But what do I know? Nothing. PRS knows their customers better than I do, I only know the fringe fanatics that hang out here!

Throwing the book at me, eh?

:D

... I definitely don't think a bolt-on is in any way inferior, just different.

I feel that way too. I like bolt-ons because they're different and the old CE guitars are certainly some of my favorites.

I know these guitars won't suck, every PRS I've played has been an amazing guitar (from SE's through PS) if you're into what PRS's "thing" is, so I'm not saying it's a bad idea or a misstep. I just think it's a missed opportunity to produce a first-class bolt-on guitar that could steal a little of that Suhr or TAG marketplace.

I was imagining something with alder, the dope-as-hell "in the wood" maple neck finish, and perhaps some mixture of the 305/513/NF pickups, with that old neck joint that feels identical to the CU/Std without the extended heel thingy like on the NF/DC3/BM.. C'est la vie.

Throwing the book at me, eh?

:D

Aww.. it's not like that, Andy. :oops: I don't mean to single out your post, I just wanted to address a couple of points brought up over the course of this discussion.

I was imagining something with alder, the dope-as-hell "in the wood" maple neck finish, and perhaps some mixture of the 305/513/NF pickups, with that old neck joint that feels identical to the CU/Std without the extended heel thingy like on the NF/DC3/BM.. C'est la vie.

Well, gotta say, I've got that "in the wood" maple finish on my McCarty maple neck WL model, and it isn't like the nitro finish on the original CE models at all. So right there it'd be different.

I prefer the older neck finish - I had that on my CU22 Soapy and my old SAS. I'm just not that into this new "in the wood" finish (that's UV cured, by the way). It's not unpleasant, but...it's the only thing about my McCarty I'd like to have a "do over" on.

I'm strongly considering having the PTC refinish the neck later this year, once my so-called bank account recovers from the Northern Lights guitar. I'd have them simply do a gloss finish. ;)

Out of all of this discussion, its nice to see so much "passion" for the old CEs. I agree with Serge and others...I've never been overtly disappointed with any PRS I have played, so I agree that it probably won't suck. It's a reboot, plain and simple.

For me and many others who think a "real" CE has its body made of alder, then there's a certain amount of disappointment. But that should be easy enough to fix with a dealer-limited run.

Here's another fan of the Alder CE. It doesn't have to be a "kissin cousin" of the Cu24. Make it what it was originally intended to be.

I hate to sound like such a rookie but is there a big difference in sound from the alder bodies vs. the mahogany ones? I've only played the mahogany models. Also, are the alder bodies the pre 95 models with the shorter heel and small script logo or were they mixed in?

The ad for AMS also keeps appearing on Facebook with a number of colors including Amber and a Cherry Red which both look nice. Both links are, however, broken.

Well, gotta say, I've got that "in the wood" maple finish on my McCarty maple neck WL model, and it isn't like the nitro finish on the original CE models at all. So right there it'd be different.

I prefer the older neck finish - I had that on my CU22 Soapy and my old SAS. I'm just not that into this new "in the wood" finish (that's UV cured, by the way).

Yeah, we all have our preferences which I assume has to be one of the more difficult things about designing guitars. I'm a fan of the new finish, mostly because I I'm so used to the feel of raw wood after the nitro fell off my old CE neck. I used to think that was because of the nitro but since the V12 is falling off my KL33's neck.. I must have some mutant acid sweat that eats the finish of any guitar I play religiously.

For me and many others who think a "real" CE has its body made of alder, then there's a certain amount of disappointment. But that should be easy enough to fix with a dealer-limited run.

Yessir. I can think of a particular dealer that could make a killer run of CE's by doing that and... umm, slapping one of his trems on there. ;)

I hate to sound like such a rookie but is there a big difference in sound from the alder bodies vs. the mahogany ones? I've only played the mahogany models. Also, are the alder bodies the pre 95 models with the shorter heel and small script logo or were they mixed in?

It depends on how much you believe different woods affect tone. I happen to believe there is a difference, but how much a difference is subjective and dependent on how much of a weenie (I'm a weenie) you are. Both are fine guitars.

There was a slight mixture and blurring during the switch. There are CE's from 94 that have alder bodies and necks with the "big" heel and the "big" logo, but if you see one with a small script and heel you can be sure that they're alder (long with any of the ones with maple fretboards and "electric" logos).

I could get into a bolt-on PRS. But I personally wouldn't buy another dual humbucker in a bolt-on guitar. We already have the Custom2x market covered in different price ranges. I'd only be interested if they offered more interesting pickup configurations. Maybe something more like a 513 or Studio or Brent Mason. In other words, I'd like their bolt on to be more of a PRS take on a Strat than another Custom2x.

Reactions: IRG
Super helpful - Thanks! My hope is to find a fairly early CE with a green top for my little collection.

Back