Debating on selling my CE24 standard for a DGT SE. Sway me otherwise..

elmariach311

Just noodlin.
As the title states. I've got a 2016 CE24 Standard in a matte finish. I've been seeing the videos of the DGT SE and I'm hearing a lot of good things.

The sounds from the DGT are more appealing to my ear. I think the only thing that makes me hesitant is the gloss neck. If you have both, I'd love to know your thoughts. Thanks!

Resistance is Futile .. The SE DGT was worthy enough for David to tour with it only for 3 months .. pretty strong endorsement...

Luthier tip: As far as the gloss neck, 3000 grit wet/ dry sandpaper .. go gently and just break the glaze . I just make about 20 quick passes cupping it in my hand around the neck . You aren't really trying to take much off . The advantage over scotch bright or steel wool is doesn't scratch up the finish ( if done correctly it looks just like patina) It makes them WAY faster and not sticky which down hear in Hot 'Lanta is important in the warm months

Last edited:
The glossy neck is not a big deal. If you have played the set-neck PRS guitars, you'll find that the finish on the neck isn't too bad. The nitro finished guitars? Meh, too sticky for me....but poly-finishes? Not bad. just wipe the neck down periodically and hand-funk won't build up.

The SE DGT is a great guitar. I hardly play mine, but when I do I am more than satisfied with what it provides.

Are you able to find a place where you can get hands on one, SE or core? I've personally gotten to a point where I won't buy a guitar unless I can play an equivalent one beforehand. Too much risk, especially if it's new.

Are you able to find a place where you can get hands on one, SE or core? I've personally gotten to a point where I won't buy a guitar unless I can play an equivalent one beforehand. Too much risk, especially if it's new.
I'm actually getting ready to go down the road to the music shop and get my hands on an SE DGT model.

^^This.

I've personally gotten to a point where I won't buy a guitar unless I can play an equivalent one beforehand. Too much risk
With enough nice guitars now, I've personally gotten to a point where I won't buy a guitar unless I can play it before buying it, or buying online but only if I can return it for a small fee like a $25 shipping charge.

As the title states. I've got a 2016 CE24 Standard in a matte finish. I've been seeing the videos of the DGT SE and I'm hearing a lot of good things.

The sounds from the DGT are more appealing to my ear. I think the only thing that makes me hesitant is the gloss neck. If you have both, I'd love to know your thoughts. Thanks!
My thoughts?

Keep the CE, and use an EQ pedal to achieve a tone you like that's similar to the DGT SE. It is amazing how powerful a good EQ pedal can be. For example, watch a Billy Gibbons rig rundown (I'll look for the clip when I have a chance), and you'll see he plays all kinds of guitars-- that have been EQ'd to sound exactly the same. If it's tone your after, that's the way to go.

If your after having something new, keep an eye on your local classifieds for a used DGT SE to add to your collection.

I've played the DGT SE, and while it's a nice guitar on its own, it's not unique enough to sacrifice your current guitar.

Just my opinion of course :) Best of luck either way you go!

Last edited:
For the price I see some used seDGT floating around for I wouldn't move a guitar for it, I'd add it. If the CE24 tone wasnt doing it for me, but the playability was, I'd swap out the 8515 for something like 5708, or even a set of DGT pickups. There's a set for sale right now and they pop up every so often.

US made PRS after only getting more expensive, unless you really don’t like the CE at all I’d hang on to it and just save up for an SE DGT.

What I'd advise is perhaps trying an SE DGT in a shop first - whilst it might not be set up exactly to your preference or going through your Rig (after all you are only hearing recorded through whatever amp and played back through whatever speakers if you've not heard one in person) you can at least get a good idea of its general feel.

The second bit of Advice I'd give is to maybe save up or buy the SE DGT and live with it for a while and decide then if its a 'worthy' addition to your guitar collection and whether or not you still want to sell the CE Standard which has its 'own' flavour of tones because its a 24 fret guitar and same scale as the DGT. As much as you may love the DGT, you may also regret not keeping the CE24. I don't know what your financial status is like, but I'd still advise to save up to buy, especially as SE's are relatively cheap (compared to Core DGT's) and then decide which to keep if you have to sell any a few months later...

Neck is going to be quite different too - whether the 'gloss' or different shape/thickness suits you - to be honest, the Gloss/non-nitro finished Core necks never bothered me but everyone is different - and it doesn't really seem to bother David Grissom either as he rarely leaves the neck alone when just sitting with it. The DGT will be a thicker neck compared to the Pattern Thin neck the CE24 usually has.

I can't tell you if you should sell or not, whether its a 'good idea' or not, whether you'd regret it later or not, so my best advice is to try one and if/when you can, buy one to live with it for a few months putting it through your gear to decide whether or not it's a keeper or maybe a good addition alongside the CE24

The CE24 would be gone. The fact that you are talking about it is the clue. Move on and try something else is my 2 cents. I did that with a tele I had. Finally sold it and feel so much better. I can buy one anytime, thousands for sale.

Back