Uhh... Is The CE Back For 2016?

I think tonight taught me why the compromises on the new CE's might be an issue after all. I played my S2 semi hollow at rehearsal tonight, and it just didn't perform well. I threw the guitar in a cold car on the way over, and the neck must have shifted, because I had to actually stop during a song and adjust my truss rod. I assume it's unstable due to the scarf joint? The volume pot was scratchy all night, and no matter what I did with the tone control, my tone was either too muddy or too bright. So I was already pretty irritated, plus my trem was taking things out of tune all night. Toward the end of the set I was trying to retune and one of my tuner buttons BROKE OFF!!! Can you believe that??? This S2 hardware is JUNK. Can't believe they put it on the beloved CE's.

Disclaimer: None of this came remotely close to happening, my evening with my S2 was dominated by flawless reliability and function. If I were into bolt on maple necks, I would be busting a n*t over the new CE.

Whew... saved by a disclaimer....

I'm curious if it's possible to replace the bridge (whether it's an SE/S2 or Core bridge is inconsequential to me) with a stop tail bridge?

I'm realizing that I just prefer more of a stop tail type bridge than I do a tremolo. Did any of the CE models in the past ever have stop tail, or are they all tremolo?

In regards to this new CE model, I like it. It's a bit pricey for me, but what I would call reasonable. It is smartly positioned between the S2 and the Core. Although a Satin S2 is about half the price. But the top on these are pretty damn nice judging by the photos of the one that Sweetwater has at the moment.

I'm curious if it's possible to replace the bridge (whether it's an SE/S2 or Core bridge is inconsequential to me) with a stop tail bridge?

I'm realizing that I just prefer more of a stop tail type bridge than I do a tremolo. Did any of the CE models in the past ever have stop tail, or are they all tremolo?

In regards to this new CE model, I like it. It's a bit pricey for me, but what I would call reasonable. It is smartly positioned between the S2 and the Core. Although a Satin S2 is about half the price. But the top on these are pretty damn nice judging by the photos of the one that Sweetwater has at the moment.

The inexpensive way to go would be to install a tremolo-no...

tremol-no-installed.jpg

Or you could have the trem removed and the space filled in by blocking and then have a stoptail fitted = more involved with $ and a refinish.

The inexpensive way to go would be to install a tremolo-no...

tremol-no-installed.jpg

Or you could have the trem removed and the space filled in by blocking and then have a stoptail fitted = more involved with $ and a refinish.

You know just blocking it and taking off the arm would probably work just fine, and certainly cheaper/easier as well. I might have to try that on my S2 first, and see how I like it.

You were out from the start and were never going to buy one.

As to the 2 piece neck heel, they use a two piece neck heel like Taylor does, on the Private Stock acoustics. I know because I have one. Best acoustic guitar I've ever owned or played, hands down, including high end Collings models (have had a couple) and 900 series Taylors (have had several), and even my old band mate's 70s Gurian. Just an incredible instrument.

You can get bent out of shapes on spec BS or just play the damned guitar and see what it sounds and plays like. You're the spec guy. You may miss out. Or not.

Your post is absolutely hypocritical. How can you rail on someone for being nit picky about specs when you are the epitome of a spec snob? How many private stocks do you own? By your many posts, its the little things that make a difference according to you. So, when I pick on the little things, all of a sudden its unacceptable to you. You can't have it both ways.

Your post is absolutely hypocritical. How can you rail on someone for being nit picky about specs when you are the epitome of a spec snob? How many private stocks do you own? By your many posts, its the little things that make a difference according to you. So, when I pick on the little things, all of a sudden its unacceptable to you. You can't have it both ways.
Again, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Don't have to sit here and $hit all over it. I don't go to Gibson and Fender forums to air out my laundry about why I don't like their products.

I love this. While I love my set neck PRS guitars, I also love my NF3 and wanted a SAS for years. I'm itching to try these pickups. I really like the lesser carve on the top, still looks really good! And, I've played them in the store, but never lived with the SE trem, so I have no right or basis to criticize it. This is really interesting to me.

Hopefully this line is successful enough that there might be some branching. Stop tail. Non-floating trem for guys who need to change tunings between songs. Maple fingerboard (maybe even with HSS!). I hope this line sells like crazy to the point it makes sense to add a few other options down the road. Definitely going to try one now though. Really like what I see.

..Admittedly, my uneducated snobbery led me to immediately discount the CE because of the bolt-on neck, and I wanted the quintessential PRS experience and opted for the Cu24.

Yeah, I went in wanting a very different guitar than what I left with. I wanted a Custom 24, prior to buying the CE I was coming from Les Pauls and early ESP guitars so I was very surprised that the CE's had the "it" factor I was looking for. I thought I wanted a mahogany/maple guitar like an LP but with the ability to shred and upper fret access like the ESP's and a non-tool-needing-to-change-the-strings wang bar (one of my LPC's had a Kahler and everything else were Floyds or worse like the Flicker).

I agree that you gotta play something before you really know, and when you've had mixed experiences with certain pieces of hardware it does make sense to at least check it out before dismissing it, I guess. However, I know I'll never have another Kahler/Floyd/lock-a-mer-jobber.

I wasn't exactly an early adopter of PRS, but I have been playing them since 1991. I think they've gotten better and better.

That's why I don't diss anyone's choice with them.

'91 is pretty early. While I personally don't agree with the "better and better" part (I believe there was a sweet middle spot) I can't say there are any other guitar builders I'm even as remotely interested in. PRS will never lose my business or attention.

Did any of the CE models in the past ever have stop tail, or are they all tremolo?

Yes, there are CE's out there with the stop tail/compensated bridges.

Will the new PRS CE24 be available with a Floyd Rose Trem?

Hey now, you're supposed to be cool with the bridge that comes on them or people will get mad at you. :p

I hope this isn't a trend where they star putting S2/E hardware on guitars and still call them part of the Core line.

I noticed that PRS now has a section called "Bolt-On Models" in-between the "Core Models" and the "S2 Series" sections, so I suppose the new CE is seen as being in-between the two.

Interestingly enough they have the Brent Mason under both the "Core Models" and "Bolt-On Models" sections.

I think of myself as more of a tone snob than a spec snob, I guess. I do buy the PS guitars for their tone, something I think they're amazing at.

But I tend not to rag on guitars that are deliberately and intentionally built to meet a budget. I realize that there are going to be compromises. Your apparent lack of that realization is part of what I didn't like about your post, along with the fact that you've not played one before being so critical.

And...to some degree, sure I'm definitely a hypocrite! As are we all at times. But hypocritical or not, you don't see me dissing PRS' lower priced products. I respect them. I also respect what PRS is trying to accomplish with the CE.

But you weren't going to buy one anyway, as your very first post in the thread made quite clear.

Last edited:
And...to some degree, sure I'm definitely a hypocrite! As are we all at times. ..

I like being included in most things, but take exception to this one. I'm setting here introspectively assessing if I've been a hypocrite in guitars or any other thing really. Taking the definition of hypocrite to be: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings, I can say that I am not in the group "As we all are at times". I believe my actions support my beliefs in most things in my life. I try hard to be anti-hypocritical. So I respectfully remove myself from your all inclusive statement. :)

I like being included in most things, but take exception to this one. I'm setting here introspectively assessing if I've been a hypocrite in guitars or any other thing really. Taking the definition of hypocrite to be: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings, I can say that I am not in the group "As we all are at times". I believe my actions support my beliefs in most things in my life. I try hard to be anti-hypocritical. So I respectfully remove myself from your all inclusive statement. :)

Hey I can't argue with perfection! You are officially excluded from my post, as is anyone else who feels they oughta be excluded. ;)

Drew says I'm a hypocrite, fine. I'll cop to being imperfect at best, and no doubt I've done things I've said I wouldn't do.

However, I don't diss the compromises made in bringing lower-priced guitars to market.

And I act on the belief that when guitars with great tones are available, I try to get them. Even if they're not expensive. A good example would be my '08 Mira, a fantastic guitar.

Last edited:
However, I don't diss the compromises made in bringing lower-priced guitars to market. And I act on the belief that when guitars with great tones are available, I try to get them. Even if they're not expensive. ...

In this we are again alike. I'll wait to see if the new CE plays, sounds, and feels like the quality instrument I expect it to be from PRS. I suspect it will be a fine guitar and worth the price.

Am I alone in noticing that this is basically an SE or S2 body as far as it having a beveled top instead of an actual carve top and no contoured controls with plastic birds and S2 hardware?

Am I alone in noticing that this is basically an SE or S2 body as far as it having a beveled top instead of an actual carve top and no contoured controls with plastic birds and S2 hardware?

It doesn't have a beveled top. It's carved, just not as deeply.

The wood that goes into the S2 body (and I presume the new CE as well) is drawn from the same supply of wood that goes into the Core model guitars. I do not believe that the same can be said for the SE series guitars.

So while reviewing this thread I said to myself: "Hey, this new CE looks great, but wouldn't it be great if they offered a version with maple fretboard? And maybe Alder body. Or even Ash?"

At which point I reminded myself I have an SAS with maple board, which has 22 frets vice 24, but otherwise scratches that itch.

So while the new CEs have a pickup I'd like to try out, and will likely have a nice figured maple top (not 10-top, but "nice"), I realized I should just play my SAS more - because it really doesn't get much love recently.

The old CE22 came with a stoptail option I believe. It would be cool to see again...

Back