Tremonti Treble in a Les paul?

boardn10

Hey guys!

I love my PRS SC250 and love the pickups.
I also love the pickups in my CE22 which are Dragons.

My LP Standard with a Suhr Aldrich bridge is not doing it for me. Feels anemic compared to the SC250 bridge pickip.

I'm looking to try a Tremonti Treble in my LP Standard. Has anybody done this?

I am worried about my LP Gibson Alnico Pro neck Pickup and if it will work with the Tremonti Bridge? I can't afford to also get the Tremonti neck Pickup.

I don't know the specs of the Tremonti neck Pickup or SC250 neck. Maybe it will work!?

I also worry about the wiring. I don't know if the polarity matches, or if I can just drop the Tremonti in and will work with the Gibson neck Pickup.

Thanks,
Rich

I haven't done that....but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I believe it should be fine.
I am sure it will be, thanks! I'm more concerned about the wiring and if it will be ok with a Gibson neck pickup. I recall there is a polarity issue between Gibson and PRS, just like between Duncan and PRS. You had to do something different with the wiring when using a PRS and Duncan together and I thought it was the Sam with Gibson.

I know when I installed my accessory bought 57/08 pickups in my Les Paul the black wire was hot on the bridge humbucker.

On a side note I have experienced issues in mixing Seymour duncun bridge and MexiFender neck pickups in a Tele. The issue was only present when i mixed the two pickups middle position, there would be a huge volume drop. I didn't try swapping polarity though because I had a matching Seymour on order and just waited till it came in.

I think you can work the wiring out though and get it working.

reversible-humbuckers.png
https://www.fralinpickups.com/2020/04/14/how-to-reverse-pickup-polarity-part-2-humbuckers/

That article should help. Swapping polarity on the PRS pickup seems doable if needed just by swapping the white/black wires.

I know when I installed my accessory bought 57/08 pickups in my Les Paul the black wire was hot on the bridge humbucker.

On a side note I have experienced issues in mixing Seymour duncun bridge and MexiFender neck pickups in a Tele. The issue was only present when i mixed the two pickups middle position, there would be a huge volume drop. I didn't try swapping polarity though because I had a matching Seymour on order and just waited till it came in.

I think you can work the wiring out though and get it working.
Thanks,
Yes, you can adjust the wiring to resolve but I don't recall what that is. I hurt confused assuming it's just a hot, ground and cool split. I don't get the polarity issue.

Not sure what to do. I hate to get another brand like the WCR, but I know the wiring is good with other brands I've used.

Thanks for the link! My Gibson neck pickups is the braided shield.

I would try adjusting your pickup height first. The Suhr Aldrich slays on nearly an equal level with the Tremonti imho.

I would try adjusting your pickup height first. The Suhr Aldrich slays on nearly an equal level with the Tremonti imho.
Interesting. My PRS SC250 is about 2/32" from the strings, as is the Aldrich. But my PRS is a lot louder. It could also be the acoustic nature of the PRS over this LP.

But I keep thinking a higher output, ceramic, like the Tremonti or SC250, could be what I need.

Mixing and matching pickups, if you so choose, wouldn't be much of a problem. The only other thing to be cognizant of (if you're swapping the pickups yourself) would be the color coding when you're soldering in. ie- which wires get grounded, which wires go into the coil split if applicable, which one is the hot wire.

This is a thread I read on Rig Talk with a review and comparison:

" I own both, and have had them in several guitars. I've taken out all of the Aldriches.
The Tremonti bridge pickup is the clearest sounding high output pickup I've ever played. All others have gotten muddy as I ratcheted up the gain (including the Aldriches). They are great. They also come stock in the bridge position of the SC250 (under the SC250 pickup name).
Also, the Tremonti neck pickup is the PRS Dragon I neck, and it's one of their best neck pickups, too."

I am leaning toward the PRS Tremonti or WCR Ironman. Unless I can't find a used 250 set.

Mixing and matching pickups, if you so choose, wouldn't be much of a problem. The only other thing to be cognizant of (if you're swapping the pickups yourself) would be the color coding when you're soldering in. ie- which wires get grounded, which wires go into the coil split if applicable, which one is the hot wire.
Thank you,
No coil splitting in my SC250.

I just know of polarity issues from years past wirh mixing PRS pickups with Duncan and I recall with Gibson as well. So, it looks like, in the end, it may just be a reversing of the PRS pickup or if I can find a decent PRS neck Pickup to go with the Tremonti. I never see used PRS Dragon neck pickups but I am sure they have other neck pickups that would work.

I don't get the polarity issue.

Yeah, the only time I recall polarity being brought to attention/relevance here is when it comes to the 5-way rotary switch (which was often done with flipping the magnet on one of the pickups).

Oh, good point John.

I think when I looked to do some swapping I had my CE22 with 5 way. I sill have this guitar, stock!
I think I was looking to try a different bridge pickup, and also in my Custom 22 at the time. My current SC250, is wired straight like an LP, with no 5 way or splitting.
I do recall the magnet flip, but I vaguely feel like there was another issue.
I think back in the day, my PRS McCarty, I tried Duncans, Rio Grande and WCRs, without any issue. It had standard wiring with a McCarty neck. So, you may have answered my question, thanks! :)
With my McCarty, which is wired more like my SC250 was fine, so I am thinking I should be fine.

Thank you,
No coil splitting in my SC250.

I just know of polarity issues from years past wirh mixing PRS pickups with Duncan and I recall with Gibson as well. So, it looks like, in the end, it may just be a reversing of the PRS pickup or if I can find a decent PRS neck Pickup to go with the Tremonti. I never see used PRS Dragon neck pickups but I am sure they have other neck pickups that would work.

In that case, just solder the hot wire and ground wires where they ought to go. The wires for coil splitting can be taped off with some electrical tape, and you should be set. I covered the polarity concern in a previous reply, and I wouldn't worry to much in that case, here.

As an aside, I've had a Dragon neck pickup (Dragon 1, not 2). Part of me regrets flipping it since it cleaned up well and had a sweet enough top end that I can use when playing leads through that pickup. Unfortunately, it's few and far between to get the set without costing an exorbitant amount over the last several years.

I've had the Dragon back and forth in my first Custom 24 and my CE-24: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1sCLMCDuDi/
I don't see why it wouldn't pair well with the Tremonti and its thousands of yasseahs.

Thousands of what? Lol.

Yes, I live the Dragon 1 pickups. I have a 1994 stock CE22 with those.
I'll try my Gibson neck first.

I assume the Dragon neck is hotter.
PRS also paired a similar neck Pickup I believe with the HFS bridge in some CE and CU guitars, some years ago.

Thanks,
Yes, you can adjust the wiring to resolve but I don't recall what that is. I hurt confused assuming it's just a hot, ground and cool split. I don't get the polarity issue.

Not sure what to do. I hate to get another brand like the WCR, but I know the wiring is good with other brands I've used.

Thanks for the link! My Gibson neck pickups is the braided shield.

I'd wire in the black as hot first in the Tremonti and then test, If you could find a way to do this with clips it'd be helpful. If the volume drop (out of phase) issue is present. Swap the Tremonti's wires....White would become hot. One of the set ups will work. The Gibson pickup you will be leaving it untouched and alone.

Thanks on wiring the black as hot, first. That was my plan, once I find a Tremonti at a good price. I used to have a hoot open coil pickip in my LP and it sounded good.

I like the look of covers but sound and feel come first.

On a side note, I rarely use my neck Pickup on its own, I prefer to use the middle position.

It's funny how whimpy and tiny the Suhr Aldrich sounds next to my SC250 and Tremonti Bridge.

Back