The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

It's here...! :D

My first glimpse on opening the bag was sky blue, which was a surprise. This color is amazing: the deep blues and purples we've all seen, some bright green flash, gold, orange, and even a nasty snotty bile green if you look across the body at a low angle. My wife calls it the "Autopia guitar," and yup, it's got pretty much all those colors.

In terms of playability and sustain/resonance across all the strings, this has got my genuine "F" guitar cowering in the corner. The 635JM pickups sounded pretty, well, dainty to me compared to the Fralin Blues Specials I'm used to. After eyeballing those for a moment or two, I raised the PRS pickups one full turn of the screwdriver. Much better! That gave it some of the asthmatic growl and punch it had been missing. I really like the way this guitar responds when played hard and loud. :cool:

Also, this glossy flashy paint is a lint magnet! But enough with the words already...

n1.png

n2.png

n3.png

n4.png

n5.png
Incredible, congrats on nabbing one of 2020's most sought after guitars!

It's here...! :D

My first glimpse on opening the bag was sky blue, which was a surprise. This color is amazing: the deep blues and purples we've all seen, some bright green flash, gold, orange, and even a nasty snotty bile green if you look across the body at a low angle. My wife calls it the "Autopia guitar," and yup, it's got pretty much all those colors.

In terms of playability and sustain/resonance across all the strings, this has got my genuine "F" guitar cowering in the corner. The 635JM pickups sounded pretty, well, dainty to me compared to the Fralin Blues Specials I'm used to. After eyeballing those for a moment or two, I raised the PRS pickups one full turn of the screwdriver. Much better! That gave it some of the asthmatic growl and punch it had been missing. I really like the way this guitar responds when played hard and loud. :cool:

Also, this glossy flashy paint is a lint magnet! But enough with the words already...

n1.png

n2.png

n3.png

n4.png

n5.png
Congrats and great pics!

This color will look great when the maple board version comes out :D:p

@Shawn@PRS confirmed that in an earlier thread. Paul was also quoted in several interviews saying as such. The music store I purchased from is a PRS dealer, they took a factory tour earlier this year and confirmed the change to nitro as well.

I can tell you it's painted in nitro, I felt it alongside other guitars finished in 2019 at the same music store. There is a clear difference

You are right.. I just looked at one at my local Guitar Center yesterday. I noticed the one I held had a Satin type feel to the back of the neck, vs. the glossy I have seen before. This one was a 2020 Tungsten w/ Rosewood.
I went back up there today to buy it, but the store had an emergency shut down, and will be closed for 2 weeks.

Wow, emergency shutdown, closed for 2 weeks?
This CV related? I am sure there are going to be a lot of places having to do the same with numbers still rather high in a lot of states.
Everyone stay safe.
I'm guessing so, because it was open earlier in the morning.. The other GC stores in Houston are still open, matter of fact the manager I was dealing called me while I was outside the locked store and sent me to a different store that was to have another Tungsten, but when I got there is was white!

You are right.. I just looked at one at my local Guitar Center yesterday. I noticed the one I held had a Satin type feel to the back of the neck, vs. the glossy I have seen before. This one was a 2020 Tungsten w/ Rosewood.
I went back up there today to buy it, but the store had an emergency shut down, and will be closed for 2 weeks.

Silver Sky necks have always been finished in nitro, just the body was poly before. The maple fretboard is a satin nitro.

I just received my Prs SS .... NEBULA! Whooooohooo! It's even more stunning in person... my question is on the bolt on neck plate they all say 1 of 500.... looking at my serial number 0299007....then comparing to a few already up for sale on Ebay...097.. and Reverb..040 it looks like they all begin with 0299....could that mean mine was the 7th one made out of 500? Just curious....any input is appreciated!

I just received my Prs SS .... NEBULA! Whooooohooo! It's even more stunning in person... my question is on the bolt on neck plate they all say 1 of 500.... looking at my serial number 0299007....then comparing to a few already up for sale on Ebay...097.. and Reverb..040 it looks like they all begin with 0299....could that mean mine was the 7th one made out of 500? Just curious....any input is appreciated!
I do not believe so. There are ones under the sold section of Reverb that have serial numbers starting with 0296...
It might be the beginning serial numbers of the most recent batch of these.

I do not believe so. There are ones under the sold section of Reverb that have serial numbers starting with 0296...
Hmmmmm ....I wonder why they didn't label 1 of 500.... 2 of 500....etc... oh well I just feel extremely lucky to have one...never played a SS model until this one...I personally like the neck, but I could understand how it's not for everyone

Hmmmmm ....I wonder why they didn't label 1 of 500.... 2 of 500....etc... oh well I just feel extremely lucky to have one...never played a SS model until this one...I personally like the neck, but I could understand how it's not for everyone

PRS serial numbers are sequential, regardless of model. So, you got the 299,007th Core guitar they have made in Maryland.

They started the 1 of xxx on all a numbered sets a few years ago. Perhaps in an attempt to not make one “worth” more than another from a collectors perspective.

They started the 1 of xxx on all a numbered sets a few years ago. Perhaps in an attempt to not make one “worth” more than another from a collectors perspective.

Also, if they accidentally make more than 500, or mess up the numbering, people can't compare sequence numbers and find out as easily. I seem to remember this happening to someone on the forum here.

PRS serial numbers are sequential, regardless of model. So, you got the 299,007th Core guitar they have made in Maryland.

Yeah that's what I was thinking with the one being more valuable than another based on what number it is.... thnx for the serial number info.... I'll be on stage tonight playing my new silver sky nebula

Back