The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

It's here...! :D

My first glimpse on opening the bag was sky blue, which was a surprise. This color is amazing: the deep blues and purples we've all seen, some bright green flash, gold, orange, and even a nasty snotty bile green if you look across the body at a low angle. My wife calls it the "Autopia guitar," and yup, it's got pretty much all those colors.

In terms of playability and sustain/resonance across all the strings, this has got my genuine "F" guitar cowering in the corner. The 635JM pickups sounded pretty, well, dainty to me compared to the Fralin Blues Specials I'm used to. After eyeballing those for a moment or two, I raised the PRS pickups one full turn of the screwdriver. Much better! That gave it some of the asthmatic growl and punch it had been missing. I really like the way this guitar responds when played hard and loud. :cool:

Also, this glossy flashy paint is a lint magnet! But enough with the words already...

n1.png

n2.png

n3.png

n4.png

n5.png
Fookin’ killer!

Questions for anyone with a 2020 SS - I returned my 2019 moc sand for a 2020 moc sand so I could get one with nitro paint. The feel of the lacquer is definitely different, softer and more gooey.
  • I've noticed the neck carve is a bit deeper/chunkier than my 2019 - has anyone noticed the neck carve differ slightly by year? I feel like it's most noticeable between the 1st and 5th fret, with some real beef there. I like the feel, just curious if anyone else noticed.
  • The nitro paint has a bubble in it that I'm not sure will go away - has anyone seen bubbling in their nitro paint? Not a huge deal, but kind of a bummer given I returned my old one for the new paint

@Shawn@PRS would love to hear if you have any feedback on the above. Thanks!

Has anyone set their Silver Sky up with a floating bridge without adding the shims as shown in the PRS video? Took it to my local luthier and he said the shims are not necessary. Just curious.

The 2020 rosewood neck is supposed to be different as far as the finish goes the neck was always nitro.
PRS should fix it if you like the one you have.

Questions for anyone with a 2020 SS - I returned my 2019 moc sand for a 2020 moc sand so I could get one with nitro paint. The feel of the lacquer is definitely different, softer and more gooey.
  • I've noticed the neck carve is a bit deeper/chunkier than my 2019 - has anyone noticed the neck carve differ slightly by year? I feel like it's most noticeable between the 1st and 5th fret, with some real beef there. I like the feel, just curious if anyone else noticed.
  • The nitro paint has a bubble in it that I'm not sure will go away - has anyone seen bubbling in their nitro paint? Not a huge deal, but kind of a bummer given I returned my old one for the new paint

Are you sure all the 2020 bodies are painted Nitro' ? Not just the Nebulas? I've been looking everywhere to find out for sure but don't see where it says they are.. except for here in this forum. Reason I am asking is because I don't have a SS yet, but want to buy one and that would be awesome if they are. Thanks!

I think its interesting that folks even care about Nitro finishes on PRS guitars as far as I know most PRS have been some version of a thin Poly coating since the beginning.
Folks have bitched for years about sticky Nitro necks and finish yellowing and cracking and finish damage from some straps and guitar hangers on Gibsons.
Quite frankly a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of finish , radius , fret size etc, etc ,etc - I've had Nitro , Poly , No finish, big frets , small frets , long scale , short scale , small radius , flater radius - there is no best its just how well its built and plays in the end.

Are you sure all the 2020 bodies are painted Nitro' ? Not just the Nebulas? I've been looking everywhere to find out for sure but don't see where it says they are.. except for here in this forum. Reason I am asking is because I don't have a SS yet, but want to buy one and that would be awesome if they are. Thanks!

@Shawn@PRS confirmed that in an earlier thread. Paul was also quoted in several interviews saying as such. The music store I purchased from is a PRS dealer, they took a factory tour earlier this year and confirmed the change to nitro as well.

I can tell you it's painted in nitro, I felt it alongside other guitars finished in 2019 at the same music store. There is a clear difference

Last edited:
I think its interesting that folks even care about Nitro finishes on PRS guitars as far as I know most PRS have been some version of a thin Poly coating since the beginning.
Folks have bitched for years about sticky Nitro necks and finish yellowing and cracking and finish damage from some straps and guitar hangers on Gibsons.
Quite frankly a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of finish , radius , fret size etc, etc ,etc - I've had Nitro , Poly , No finish, big frets , small frets , long scale , short scale , small radius , flater radius - there is no best its just how well its built and plays in the end.

To each their own, buddy. I own four strats, all finished in nitro. As well as a Les Paul, finished in nitro. I like nitro.

Maple boards galore

So dang smexy!! I broke my longstanding "no lefties strung backwards" rule for one of these.

On a related note: does anyone know if/when these are going to ship, I know the Factory is just now coming back up to speed, but I think my pre-order is about 3 months old now? :(

So dang smexy!! I broke my longstanding "no lefties strung backwards" rule for one of these.

On a related note: does anyone know if/when these are going to ship, I know the Factory is just now coming back up to speed, but I think my pre-order is about 3 months old now? :(
3....youngster! I put in my order January 17th! :cool:

@Shawn@PRS confirmed that in an earlier thread. Paul was also quoted in several interviews saying as such. The music store I purchased from is a PRS dealer, they took a factory tour earlier this year and confirmed the change to nitro as well.

I can tell you it's painted in nitro, I felt it alongside other guitars finished in 2019 at the same music store. There is a clear difference

Thanks! I am about to buy a Tungsten SS and its 2020. Cant wait

I'm still pacing every day waiting for the rosewood Midnight Roses to hit the stores. (Shakes fist at Covid sky)

The maple is definitely growing on me -- but am I the only one who wishes they went with small dark birds, not hollow? Seems like the perfect update for a F-style maple board, at least to me.

So even the rosewood Frost and Tungsten don't have the scoopy goodness any more? (I'm a big fan of the scoops from the first four!)

Back