HSH Non-Believer (Silver Sky)

ELPANABANANA

**Long post. Scroll down for pictures and list of parts used for this project.***

I used to be an HSH non-believer. I have to admit that my dislike was mostly with the aesthetics of the exposed pickup route of almost all HSH guitars on the market. However, after a lot of experimenting with different pickup combinations, I am now a firm believer in the versatility of the HSH configuration.

The USA Silver Sky has the best sounding single coil pickups for my needs. But as a Hard Rock/Metal lover, there's nothing like a full-size humbucker in the bridge position of an "S" body guitar. This is the origin of why I started to modify my Silver Sky's.

My HSH journey began partly because of the results of my Silver Sky HH project, in which I experimented with the following PRS pickup combinations: Tremonti Bass, 58/15 Low Turn Bass, and a Tremonti Treble. I found that after completing the project, these combinations of HH pickups had something lacking sonically. Fortunately for me, there was no cost for the pickups, as these were all pickups I had lying around after removing them from other guitar projects.

After getting back to some more experimenting, I found the versatility of the following PRS pickups to be the perfect pairing for an HSH guitar: 58/15 Multi-Tap Bass, 635JM for a middle position, and the Metal \m/ Treble in the Bridge position. Side note, the PRS 58/15 Multi-Tap pickup is my favorite Neck/Bass pickup. What makes it particularly special, as far as how I understood it explained to me by my guitar tech, one of the coils in the MT's has extra turns on it which are only engaged when in split/single coil mode. In humbucking mode, the overwound coil is tapped, excluding the extra turns and leaving you with two equal coils. This offering of multiple tap options for each coil makes this particular pickup incredibly versatile. In its full humbucking mode, it has a rich and powerful sound, but when split, it offers a sweet and sparkling single-coil tone. This versatility allows for a wide range of tonal possibilities, making it an excellent choice for an HSH configuration.

My HSH Silver Sky has become the most versatile guitar I own for studio purposes. With its range of tonal options, I can dial in the perfect sound for any recording session without the need for multiple guitars. The HSH configuration offers a great balance between the clarity of single-coil pickups and the power of humbuckers, making it a go-to guitar for any genre of music.

As for my next project, I do have another Silver Sky build in the works. The pickup configurations haven't been decided yet, but if I could get my hands on a PRS Narrowfield pickup, I think I can create something special. If anyone is parting ways with one, please reach out to me. So stay tuned for my next project post, and who knows, maybe I'll become a believer in another configuration.

In conclusion, I am now a firm believer in the HSH configuration, and my HSH Silver Sky has become one of my go-to guitars. With the perfect combination of pickups, it offers a wide range of tonal possibilities and is capable of handling any musical style I throw at it. So if you're a non-believer like I was, I encourage you to experiment with different pickup combinations and give the HSH setup a chance. You might just be surprised by what it can do.

Mods-
Pickups:
Bass- PRS 58/15 MT (Multi Tap)
Middle- PRS 635JM (stock)
Treble- PRS \m/

•PRS Core Saddles
•PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners (Direct fit)
•Emerson Custom prewired Kit: 500K Bass/250K Middle/500K Treble Pots (I had to use two kits to make this HSH configuration)
•Kill Switch: Tesi MIMMO 10mm Blue LED
•Mini Toggle: On/Off (set for coil split on Bass & Treble)
•Mojoaxe Pickguard

2021 HSH PRS SILVER SKY

Are you looking to get rid of the bridge single coil pickup from the silver sky? I’d take it off your hands if you’re selling

Are you looking to get rid of the bridge single coil pickup from the silver sky? I’d take it off your hands if you’re selling
No. I installed them on my Silver Sky SE.
I've made that mistake a few years back, when I was doing my HH Silver Sky project, of parting ways with the pickups. I won't make that mistake again.

Very cool. It looks great. I just got a SS SE and was blown away. I'm thinking about getting another and putting a humbucker in the bridge but you're giving me something to think about.

If you don't mind me asking, how did make space for the two humbuckers?

Very cool. It looks great. I just got a SS SE and was blown away. I'm thinking about getting another and putting a humbucker in the bridge but you're giving me something to think about.

If you don't mind me asking, how did make space for the two humbuckers?
Congrats! The SE is a great instrument. I too was blown away by how much I loved it.

I did that as well. Put a humbucker in the bridge of my SS SE. Do it! It's awesome As far as routing for a humbucker, my guitar tech does all of that for me. I don’t possess those skills. He did it with a dremel tool, i believe. And very slowly.

I actually have a cautionary story about your exact question. I've been meaning to post it for a while. I recently had a different tech route for a humbucker on another Silver Sky project and he messed up bad. He took out a little too much wood. So, be careful if you're doing the routing yourself. My suggestion, go to a reputable luthier with experience if you are able to.

**Long post. Scroll down for pictures and list of parts used for this project.***

I used to be an HSH non-believer. I have to admit that my dislike was mostly with the aesthetics of the exposed pickup route of almost all HSH guitars on the market. However, after a lot of experimenting with different pickup combinations, I am now a firm believer in the versatility of the HSH configuration.

The USA Silver Sky has the best sounding single coil pickups for my needs. But as a Hard Rock/Metal lover, there's nothing like a full-size humbucker in the bridge position of an "S" body guitar. This is the origin of why I started to modify my Silver Sky's.

My HSH journey began partly because of the results of my Silver Sky HH project, in which I experimented with the following PRS pickup combinations: Tremonti Bass, 58/15 Low Turn Bass, and a Tremonti Treble. I found that after completing the project, these combinations of HH pickups had something lacking sonically. Fortunately for me, there was no cost for the pickups, as these were all pickups I had lying around after removing them from other guitar projects.

After getting back to some more experimenting, I found the versatility of the following PRS pickups to be the perfect pairing for an HSH guitar: 58/15 Multi-Tap Bass, 635JM for a middle position, and the Metal \m/ Treble in the Bridge position. Side note, the PRS 58/15 Multi-Tap pickup is my favorite Neck/Bass pickup. What makes it particularly special, as far as how I understood it explained to me by my guitar tech, one of the coils in the MT's has extra turns on it which are only engaged when in split/single coil mode. In humbucking mode, the overwound coil is tapped, excluding the extra turns and leaving you with two equal coils. This offering of multiple tap options for each coil makes this particular pickup incredibly versatile. In its full humbucking mode, it has a rich and powerful sound, but when split, it offers a sweet and sparkling single-coil tone. This versatility allows for a wide range of tonal possibilities, making it an excellent choice for an HSH configuration.

My HSH Silver Sky has become the most versatile guitar I own for studio purposes. With its range of tonal options, I can dial in the perfect sound for any recording session without the need for multiple guitars. The HSH configuration offers a great balance between the clarity of single-coil pickups and the power of humbuckers, making it a go-to guitar for any genre of music.

As for my next project, I do have another Silver Sky build in the works. The pickup configurations haven't been decided yet, but if I could get my hands on a PRS Narrowfield pickup, I think I can create something special. If anyone is parting ways with one, please reach out to me. So stay tuned for my next project post, and who knows, maybe I'll become a believer in another configuration.

In conclusion, I am now a firm believer in the HSH configuration, and my HSH Silver Sky has become one of my go-to guitars. With the perfect combination of pickups, it offers a wide range of tonal possibilities and is capable of handling any musical style I throw at it. So if you're a non-believer like I was, I encourage you to experiment with different pickup combinations and give the HSH setup a chance. You might just be surprised by what it can do.

Mods-
Pickups:
Treble- PRS \m/

•PRS Core Saddles
•Emerson Custom prewired Kit: 500K Bass/250K Middle/500K Treble Pots (I had to use two kits to make this HSH configuration)
•Mojoaxe Pickguard

2021 HSH PRS SILVER SKY
Absolutely spectaculous!!!

I thought about putting a couple of humbuckers in one of my SE Silver Skys.

But I have CE-22's with humbuckers and great vibratos that stay in tune, so I never did it.

I did replace the pickups in both of my SE Silver Skys. I would NOT have replaced them if they were CORE Silver Skys, and the SE pickups are the best SE pickups I've owned.

But my ears kept hearing a high springy sort of sound on the top of the treble being produced by the SE pickups, and eventually I got a little OCD about it.

So I changed them to Duncan Antiquitys in one and Chubtone single coils made by Mike Gray in Austin in the other.

I wound up putting Chubtones in both. Fat tone but still very vintage.

I don't play my Strats much anymore. Just the modded SE Silver Skys. They play easier, sound as good or better, and they stay in tune.

Question: is there anything about the steel that the SE Silver Sky vibrato is made from that might be improved upon? Is there an upgrade kit?

Mine work fine and sound great. Just wondering.

They stay in tune beautifully when I use the vibrato so I don't see a need for locking tuners unless the added mass would give me a little more bass.

Which it probably would.

Last edited:
Dunno if anyone saw the nifty Cream Guitars from Mexico on various NAMM videos, but aside from the fantastic finishes (e-ink color change; clear with embedded Mexican heritage objects) they had a model that looked HH but had a hidden middle single coil under the pick guard. Seems like a perfect idea for this kind of project!

Mods-
Pickups:
Treble- PRS \m/

•PRS Core Saddles
•Mojoaxe Pickguard

2021 HSH PRS SILVER SKY
Did you have route out the p/u cavity to fit the humbuckers in?

Dunno if anyone saw the nifty Cream Guitars from Mexico on various NAMM videos, but aside from the fantastic finishes (e-ink color change; clear with embedded Mexican heritage objects) they had a model that looked HH but had a hidden middle single coil under the pick guard. Seems like a perfect idea for this kind of project!
Hmmm, sounds cool. But why would someone hide the single-coil PU? That's what I don’t like about my HH SilverSky, aesthetically I feel the gap in between the humbuckers is missing the single-coil. Either way, pretty stealthy. I dig it!

I thought about putting a couple of humbuckers in one of my SE Silver Skys.

But I have CE-22's with humbuckers and great vibratos that stay in tune, so I never did it.

I did replace the pickups in both of my SE Silver Skys. I would NOT have replaced them if they were CORE Silver Skys, and the SE pickups are the best SE pickups I've owned.

But my ears kept hearing a high springy sort of sound on the top of the treble being produced by the SE pickups, and eventually I got a little OCD about it.

So I changed them to Duncan Antiquitys in one and Chubtone single coils made by Mike Gray in Austin in the other.

I wound up putting Chubtones in both. Fat tone but still very vintage.

I don't play my Strats much anymore. Just the modded SE Silver Skys. They play easier, sound as good or better, and they stay in tune.

Question: is there anything about the steel that the SE Silver Sky vibrato is made from that might be improved upon? Is there an upgrade kit?

Mine work fine and sound great. Just wondering.

They stay in tune beautifully when I use the vibrato so I don't see a need for locking tuners unless the added mass would give me a little more bass.

Which it probably would.

Are you referring to the block on the tremolo bridge? If so, I found my SE SS to be resonant . With that said, when ordering all the parts for my SE SS build, I had looked into an upgraded block/Bridge. But no one at the time made one.

You could reach out to John Mann. Maybe he's made one or working on one. He would be the one to ask.

Back