PRS HSH on a Budget?

Jimmy

For grins, how might you accomplish a PRS based HSH pickup configuration without hitting a newer core budget?

1) Mod an S2 Standard 22
2) Mod an SE Silver Sky
3) Find a PRS EG HSH
4) Find a well-priced Brent Mason
5) etc.

Go core with the Swamp Ash Special. One of the best decisions I made in PRS purchases. Here's my NGD post and post #21 is still the configuration a year later. It's killer and one of my most reached for guitars.

The idea of a S2 standard 22 came across my radar the other day, and I'm considering one as my next project. If I did a SSSE I'd personally do HSS but get going HSH. I have a HSH partscaster waiting in my project line to be finished up.

Go core with the Swamp Ash Special. One of the best decisions I made in PRS purchases. Here's my NGD post and post #21 is still the configuration a year later. It's killer and one of my most reached for guitars.

This right here is your answer. ^^^^^

I have a 2006 SAS. This is the first year they put the 5 way switch in it. The guitar is a swiss army knife of tone. They were built do core specs at that time. The only difference is the neck is bolted in instead of glued in. Mine is an all maple neck as well. It is one that I will keep forever.

You could technically just buy an SE Silver Sky and put single coil sized humbuckers in the bridge and neck position. Replace the pots maybe with higher value ones to accommodate the buckers. That would be the easiest way, I think.

For me, the neck is the deciding factor. I like the Pattern shape. I have a Brent Mason. An ME-V with a satin neck will be the only possible replacement. I haven’t played one to know if it would be worth the upgrade. If I wasn’t so picky about the neck shape, the S2s would be where I would start.

Last edited:
For grins, how might you accomplish a PRS based HSH pickup configuration without hitting a newer core budget?

1) Mod an S2 Standard 22
2) Mod an SE Silver Sky
3) Find a PRS EG HSH
4) Find a well-priced Brent Mason
5) etc.
I'd alter a USED SE SILVER SKY because they're inexpensive, the vibrato stays in tune, I like the frets and flatter fingerboard profile and every one I've played was a terrific guitar.

And because I own two! Both now with Chubtone pickups. The stock SE pickups were fine, but the treble is a little smoother with the Chubtones and they sound better with my pedals and HDRX 20 amps.

I'd make it a two humbucker guitar myself. I like the middle pickup on my Silver Skys, but it would get in my way and feel too crowded with two humbuckers.

But do a H/S/H guitar if that's your style.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the fun and insightful thoughts! It's been really helpful for me to figure out what I want for the future!

I’m actually in the midst of modding my S2 Satin 22 to add a middle pickup. Going with a Duncan Little ‘59 (would have done a narrowfield, if they were available). Just waiting on a 5 way blade from the accessory shop.

Yass!

I like the idea of modding an SE Silver Sky. Just need a bit of routing and a new guard. Stakes are low, price-wise

I love the old SE EG models, but people are asking stupid money for them now. You wouldn't have to rout, but for around the same money barely used I'd go for the SE Silver Sky.

For a USA option, you could snag a used S2 Studio, which will already be routed for the middle pickup, and just get a custom guard.

And I'll never talk anyone out of a Swamp Ash Special! I've been dreaming of those forever, but never have pulled the trigger.

I took the pick guard off my S2 Standard 22, and found out it was routed for a middle humbucker as well. Can’t guarantee all are, but mine is the satin finish model. Also came with the 58/15S pickups that I prefer over the 85/15S. Ordered a new pickguard and having my neighbor, who is better with hand tools than me, route the new pickguard for a Strat middle pickup.

Ordered some mini toggle switches for the Strat pickup which will be wired direct. You can split the humbuckers stock, so you can have a simulated SSS or HSH, and have the middle Strat pickup on in any position. If this does not work out too well, will look into a 5 way switch or super switch, and other pot alternatives. Works out quite well for me, being I own the S2 already. And it has the Pattern Regular neck shape that I prefer.

Last edited:
I took the pick guard off my S2 Standard 22, and found out it was routed for a middle humbucker as well. Can’t guarantee all are, but mine is the satin finish model. Also came with the 58/15S pickups that I prefer over the 85/15S. Ordered a new pickguard and having my neighbor, who is better with hand tools than me, route the new pickguard for a Strat middle pickup.

Ordered some mini toggle switches for the Strat pickup which will be wired direct. You can split the humbuckers stock, so you can have a simulated SSS or HSH, and have the middle Strat pickup on in any position. If this does not work out too well, will look into a 5 way switch or super switch, and other pot alternatives. Works out quite well for me, being I own the S2 already. And it has the Pattern Regular neck shape that I prefer.
This was the path I was imagining if I wanted a Modern Eagle V kind of experience with an S2, although I was thinking about two mini toggle switches in a Brent Mason kind of setup. Are you going to center the middle pickup or offset it based on the distance to the slug coils? It may not apply now that I think about it. I think they only reverse the neck slug coils on the 24-08s. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:
This was the path I was imagining if I wanted a Modern Eagle V kind of experience with an S2, although I was thinking about two mini toggle switches in a Brent Mason kind of setup. Are you going to center the middle pickup or offset it based on the distance to the slug coils? It may not apply now that I think about it. I think they only reverse the neck slug coils on the 24-08s. Could be wrong though.
Just going to center it.

Back