The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Questions for anyone with a 2020 SS - I returned my 2019 moc sand for a 2020 moc sand so I could get one with nitro paint. The feel of the lacquer is definitely different, softer and more gooey.
  • I've noticed the neck carve is a bit deeper/chunkier than my 2019 - has anyone noticed the neck carve differ slightly by year? I feel like it's most noticeable between the 1st and 5th fret, with some real beef there. I like the feel, just curious if anyone else noticed.
  • The nitro paint has a bubble in it that I'm not sure will go away - has anyone seen bubbling in their nitro paint? Not a huge deal, but kind of a bummer given I returned my old one for the new paint

@Shawn@PRS would love to hear if you have any feedback on the above. Thanks!

Does anyone know for sure what happened with the neck carve in 2020? Did the neck carve get changed to more closely match Mayer's own neck????? @Shawn@PRS

This question is catching some steam on the gear page in a thread I started over there - not sure as many people here care. But I'd certainly like to know a definite answer, if it's not too much trouble..

Would be good to know but frankly there is a fairly large variation between necks. Not necessarily thickness-wise, but in terms of shoulders. Had two 2019 SS: one of which I didn’t like the neck at all (felt way chunkier) and returnedd it, the other felt good (still a chunky neck, it’s essentially a SRV neck carve ).

Last edited:
Would be good to know but frankly there is a fairly large variation between necks. Not necessarily thickness-wise, but in terms of shoulders. Had two 2019 SS: one of which I didn’t like the neck at all (felt way chunkier) and returnedd it, the other felt good (still a chunky neck, it’s essentially a SRV neck carve ).

Yeah I really do agree, hard to get a straight answer at this point. @Shawn@PRS can you provide support?

Wait the 2020 is Nitro. My Mesa Gold with Maple Fretboard was made in Dec 2019. Is that Nitro or Poly?

From what I understand, if your serial number starts with 19 - it's poly. If it starts with 20 - nitro

Not necessarily. I have a 2019 594 that is nitro. It just depends on when each particular model “crossed over.”

lol nice - sounds like the confusion the nitro will continue

if only we had some concrete information about the varying neck profiles. Please @Shawn@PRS help us out
Lots of things are built in 2019 but are marketed as 2020 models. Cars, bicycles, etc.
If it's labelled/billed as a 2020 model it has nitro. At least that's the way I read it.

If you search you can find Shawn’s thread that states bolt ons switched to nitro in January 2020. This is body only, the neck has always been nitro since day 1.

Neck carve - on the website: The Silver Sky comes with the option of a rosewood or maple fretboard. The maple fretboard option comes with the original 635JM neck shape, while the rosewood fretboard option has been subtly modified in the shoulders to feel more “rounded” in your hand. Both neck shapes were designed by researching vintage instruments and Mayer test-driving guitars on stage to find what felt right.

When they switched neck carves I don’t know, but I’d assume it’s all guitars built in 2020.

When I bought mine there were 7 for me to try - they were all 2019’s and all felt identical and amazing, leaving me to only agonize over which color I wanted (Golden Mesa was the winner).

If you search you can find Shawn’s thread that states bolt ons switched to nitro in January 2020. This is body only, the neck has always been nitro since day 1.

Neck carve - on the website: The Silver Sky comes with the option of a rosewood or maple fretboard. The maple fretboard option comes with the original 635JM neck shape, while the rosewood fretboard option has been subtly modified in the shoulders to feel more “rounded” in your hand. Both neck shapes were designed by researching vintage instruments and Mayer test-driving guitars on stage to find what felt right.

When they switched neck carves I don’t know, but I’d assume it’s all guitars built in 2020.

When I bought mine there were 7 for me to try - they were all 2019’s and all felt identical and amazing, leaving me to only agonize over which color I wanted (Golden Mesa was the winner).

Nitro paint timeline makes sense.

The neck carve still doesn't though. Why remove shoulder from the rosewood, but not the maple? and which is closest to Mayer's profile?

PSA... I have 3 Silver Skys that have been hanging in our showroom on String Swing wall holders. They damaged the nitro finish on the natural nitro finished Silver Sky necks.
There is now now brownish discoloration where the hanger contacted the neck :mad:

PRS recommends using a cotton cloth as a barrier between the hanger and your neck.
I have reached out to String Swing in hopes of a solution, but no answer yet.
Stay posted...

Nitro paint timeline makes sense.

The neck carve still doesn't though. Why remove shoulder from the rosewood, but not the maple? and which is closest to Mayer's profile?

considering it took 2 years and he tested many examples, I’d guess the original carve is Mayer’s? He doesn’t play modified one’s, they’re pretty much right off the shelf.

Regardless of what he plays, I think the more important consideration is what YOU like. John has massive hands, so his preference may be different from your own. Likely why they took some out of the shoulders as well - might appeal to a greater audience. I have fairly average hands, but for my style the original carve is a straight gift from the guitar gods, perfect in every way.

PSA... I have 3 Silver Skys that have been hanging in our showroom on String Swing wall holders. They damaged the nitro finish on the natural nitro finished Silver Sky necks.
There is now now brownish discoloration where the hanger contacted the neck :mad:

PRS recommends using a cotton cloth as a barrier between the hanger and your neck.
Stay posted...

Interesting John - I've had plenty of Nitro guitars hung from my String Swing hangers and never an issue, I have an 18 and a 19 hanging from them now , no issues so far but a bit of cotton is easy
thanks for the heads up !!!

Stay posted...

Interesting John - I've had plenty of Nitro guitars hung from my String Swing hangers and never an issue, I have an 18 and a 19 hanging from them now , no issues so far but a bit of cotton is easy
thanks for the heads up !!!

I’ve adopted this as a standard with my wall hangers.

Take a black sock, clean of course and cut it just before the ankle (keep the off-cut).

Use the straight piece to thread over the hanger, so the lock mechanism will still operate.

The foam part will be covered by the soft cotton fabric, protecting your lacquer. Also, as it’s black, it blends in with the black of the hanger.

You can use the off-cut as a polishing cloth.

Does anyone know for sure what happened with the neck carve in 2020? Did the neck carve get changed to more closely match Mayer's own neck????? @Shawn@PRS

This question is catching some steam on the gear page in a thread I started over there - not sure as many people here care. But I'd certainly like to know a definite answer, if it's not too much trouble..

The neck carves are so similar, I was opposed to even calling out the differences because I knew it would only cause confusion. The carves are so similar, the tolerances actually overlap. So basically, if you like the original carve, you'll like the new one as well.

The neck carves are so similar, I was opposed to even calling out the differences because I knew it would only cause confusion. The carves are so similar, the tolerances actually overlap. So basically, if you like the original carve, you'll like the new one as well.

Thank you Shawn. Much appreciated. I guess the confusion is mostly stemming from the logic to change it in the first place. Was that a Mayer directive or internal decision?

Thanks again @Shawn@PRS

Hi, newbie to the forum here... I’ve been a proud owner of a 30th anniversary Custom 24 since 2015. Last year I hooked up with a 594 DC Artist that is (as Paul would say) a magic guitar. I just got an update email to tell me my Nebula is delayed until 6/24. Bittersweet news... Sad for the delay, but elated for the confirmation it is still reserved. So please post pics, vids, news and any info you find out on your SS to hold us over until production resumes. Stay safe, distant, sanitized and rock-on!
John F

I received an email today that my Nebula shipped, should be here the 30th of June. Many thanks to the team at PRS for working hard during such difficult times. Give my regards to Paul, for taking on the large debt to provide full pay to the staff while shut-down. Putting workers ahead of profits is seldom observed in business, you have my respect and admiration. Well done Sir!
John F

Back