The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Exactly what Shawn said. I got mine (Nebula) yesterday, and compared to my 2019 Dodgem blue I can't see or feel any difference in regards to neck shape or how rolled fingerboard edges ares. The only difference is the color ;-) it's like half dozen different guitar finishes into one. I'll try to take proper pictures or videos at some point.

In regards to the neck carve, on my 2020 model the hang tag states the neck as JM64 and not the usual 635. Mine is a tungsten with rosewood board.

This thread is so long that I’m sure this has been discussed. What do you guys think of the fret board radius? I really like my SS, but if I could change one thing, I would flatten the radius. It’s harder to set the action as low, and I seem to have a little harder time keeping the high e string pressed against the fret and keeping the sustain alive.

Do you think I should call John? :confused::eek::D

This thread is so long that I’m sure this has been discussed. What do you guys think of the fret board radius? I really like my SS, but if I could change one thing, I would flatten the radius. It’s harder to set the action as low, and I seem to have a little harder time keeping the high e string pressed against the fret and keeping the sustain alive.

For what I do with mine I'm very happy with it, and if it matters, my lead player would steal my SS before any of my others.

I’m not a good player by any means, I do however build my own guitars and have mostly used Warmoth’s 10-16” compound radius with SS frets.
I was very apprehensive getting a Silver Sky last summer due to the radius, yet I’ve found it to be surprisingly great to play while still allowing me to get the same low action I normally go for (between 4/64 And 5/64) without choking out easily. I would still prefer a flatter radius, but I’m perfectly ok with it.

I have a question about the flush'ed back tremolo setting, and the Nitro' paint. I have an old
57 Stratocaster reissue with the Nitro' finish and has had the trem flushed back for years.
Underneath the trem plate, it's full of finish checking from the pressure. I wonder if this will
have the same affect to the SS guitars?

A lot of it depends how you setup the trem.

On the Silver Sky's factory setup only the back of the trem plate rests against the body, not the front. Those are the pressure points that leave an impression in the body/finish (and eventually could be prone to lacquer checking depending on how the PRS nitro behaves).

On a Strat you could do the same, but a more natural setup for blocking the trem is to keep the base plate flush against the body. The entire plate and its surrounding will put pressure on the finish and damage it (especially if you tighten the tremolo screws at the top and springs at the back as much as possible).

Honestly it was a selling point for me. I play thumb over top and the roundness helps me with the high e in a way I could never get my 9.5 radius Strat to.

What resistance in K are the volume and tone pots and are they audio or linear taper....anyone know?

1st production Silver Sky?
zwlv5cvjbpf5wsuqvjf0.jpg

qcv1cbaezpspwxdhatti.jpg

aorv89jtpbedwwiu771g.jpg

wpds1xyah3f6oifgumbp.jpg

What resistance in K are the volume and tone pots and are they audio or linear taper....anyone know?

I know the volume is 300k with a resistor to back it down to 275k, and tone is 250k. If you search around there’s a long video somewhere in which Paul explains it.

They feel tapered but I’m not sure about that.

I know the volume is 300k with a resistor to back it down to 275k, and tone is 250k. If you search around there’s a long video somewhere in which Paul explains it.

They feel tapered but I’m not sure about that.
This sounds right

I hope they never sell at their double the asking price. Some dealers are blind and clueless and just keep jacking up the price when the value of the item is basically worthless.

Back