The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Finally got my nebula today and it has a big scratch right on the front of the body. The rest of the finish is so perfect and shiny that im actually having trouble getting a good picture of the damage. Aside from that I'm on cloud 9. What an amazing guitar! I love the shape of the neck and just how great it feels in your hands.

Finally got my nebula today and it has a big scratch right on the front of the body. The rest of the finish is so perfect and shiny that im actually having trouble getting a good picture of the damage. Aside from that I'm on cloud 9. What an amazing guitar! I love the shape of the neck and just how great it feels in your hands.
That is a bummer. Definitely contact your dealer right away.

1st production Silver Sky?
zwlv5cvjbpf5wsuqvjf0.jpg

qcv1cbaezpspwxdhatti.jpg

aorv89jtpbedwwiu771g.jpg

wpds1xyah3f6oifgumbp.jpg
Thats pretty awesome, actually! Id love to have that one, just because!

I got my Nebula today also, and I see the same small scratches between the bridge and the strap button which were caused by the raised panel inside the soft case. The nylon square sewed inside the case to protect the case from the bridge has scuffed the finish on the front of the Nebula during shipping. The scratches are small and not too deep, I believe they can be polished out. There really shouldn’t be anything like that raised panel sewn in above bridge to chaffe against the finish of the guitar. I’m wondering if the Nitro finish is softer than the original finish...

So the question is now, what do I polish the Silver Sky with? I have PRS Guitar Polish, but I’m not sure if it is safe to put on the new Silver Sky. I also have Virtuoso Premium Polish which is made to go on Nitrocellulose. I don’t want to use the wrong polish. Any advise from PRS would be appreciated.

I’d also suggest the deletion of the raised panel over the bridge in the soft case for future sales since it is going to ruin the finish on our new guitars. I’m convinced I should get the hard case.

John F

I got my Nebula today also, and I see the same small scratches between the bridge and the strap button which were caused by the raised panel inside the soft case. The nylon square sewed inside the case to protect the case from the bridge has scuffed the finish on the front of the Nebula during shipping. The scratches are small and not too deep, I believe they can be polished out. There really shouldn’t be anything like that raised panel sewn in above bridge to chaffe against the finish of the guitar. I’m wondering if the Nitro finish is softer than the original finish...

So the question is now, what do I polish the Silver Sky with? I have PRS Guitar Polish, but I’m not sure if it is safe to put on the new Silver Sky. I also have Virtuoso Premium Polish which is made to go on Nitrocellulose. I don’t want to use the wrong polish. Any advise from PRS would be appreciated.

I’d also suggest the deletion of the raised panel over the bridge in the soft case for future sales since it is going to ruin the finish on our new guitars. I’m convinced I should get the hard case.

John F
Congrats, and definitely contact customer service before you try buffing. Just to make sure you're using the right method/stuff.

Hi, I have a new Nebula model myself. I have not noticed any scratches from the case yet, but I did order
the PRS polish/cleaning kit from their website. I also ordered a large micro fiber cleaning cloth that's as long as the guitar
to wrap in the soft case for extra protection, Zwipes brand and it is a blue/purple color.. Thanks for the update!

John F

Guitars of this quality deserve a proper hard case. Personally, I would splurge on a hard case for it.

I ordered the hard case about 5 minutes after my post. I wish the soft case had a fluffy inside like PRS used for the wrap around the headstock. The soft case is beautiful, but I think the new nitro finish is too soft and will wear against the abrasive nylon internals. Frankly, I prefer the older finish on my Custom 24 and 594. Without polish the Nebula is a bit sticky and I had to put it away too early as my very dry hands don’t want to slide on it. I hope polishing will help.

I did order the PRS polish/cleaning kit from their website.

Be advised, PRS on their website state their polish will cloud a nitro finish. It was stated in either the FAQ section on cleaning, or on the polish ordering page.

Be advised, PRS on their website state their polish will cloud a nitro finish. It was stated in either the FAQ section on cleaning, or on the polish ordering page.

thanks, I am reading the site, it says good for all PRS Finishes: now I do not know what to do,
except email them and ask for sure..

To prolong the life of the finish of your new PRS instrument, we highly recommend that after each use the entire instrument, including the strings, be wiped thoroughly with a soft, clean, dry cloth. We recommend PRS Guitar Cleaner and/or PRS Guitar Polish for all PRS guitars finishes.

Please note, if your guitar is uses nitro finish, we strongly recommend not hanging or setting the guitar in a guitar stand/hanger outfitted with chemically active synthetic/surgical tubing. Doing this may cause a chemical reaction with the nitrocellulose finish on the neck (ex: CE, Swamp Ash) or the body (ex: Modern Eagle, DGT, Sunburst Series), which could cause the finish to dissolve.

Nitro is also prone to chemically react to exposure to leather straps and other synthetic materials. Do not store your nitro-finished guitar with your leather strap attached as this could cause the finish to dissolve. This damage will not be covered under the PRS Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Last edited:
That is no longer the case. The polish and other care products are safe with our current nitro finish.

I looked on the web page “https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/prs-guitar-polish” and the following is printed there:
Please note, this polish is not recommended for nitro finished guitars as it may leave a slight haziness.”

My point is the page needs to be updated with what Shawn posted here.

Thanks for the update!

I bought the PRS Guitar Polish in 2015 when I got my first PRS, is it safe to use on my Nebula, or do I need to buy a new polish?

I have used a mild vinegar/water solution on a PRS nitro finished guitar to clean grime off. No issues so far. The smell goes away after it dries.

Anyone feel free to comment on my next suggestion, as I’m by no means an expert in this area. After a fair amount of research previously trying to figure out what to use on nitro finishes, I landed on Zymol auto polish. All natural plant-based ingredients with no silicone, from what I remember. They also now make a guitar polish, but at the time I started using it there was only the auto polish, IIRC.

This is the reply I got from PRS:

Paul Reed Smith Customer Service

cleardot.gif

Hi Charles,
Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. Our polish and cleaning products are safe with your guitar’s nitro finish. We offered a different nitro finish on a handful of guitars about 10 years ago and we did not recommend the polish for those. However, these products are safe for the new nitro finish.
Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars.

Shawn Nuthall
PRS Guitars
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666
Customer and Technical Support Mgr.

After waiting less time than I feared (due to COVID-19), my Midnight Rose Silver Sky Maple FB is on its way! I ordered the day they got announced, and this was in the first batch of midnight rose finishes received by Brian's. (They've had a few Polar Blues for a while.)

Arrives Monday - dang it, didn't quite get it out in time before the holiday weekend!

The String Swing issue noted by @John Mann concerns me, though. I have those hangers everywhere, and they have never affected any of my PRS necks. They are supposed to be "nitro safe". Is the new nitro finish from PRS different enough? Any updates, John?

Back