The Edward Van Halen (EVH) Prototype PRS; 1 of 2

Actually, that's not entirely true. Ed's Frankenstrat had a PAF mounted in the bridge position. It came out of the neck position of a 335. He mounted a dummy Mighty Mite singlecoil in the neck position.

That is one sweet guitar.

On a side note, wasn't Eddie's own "Frankenstrat" equipped with a PAF in the neck position, which was then painted over in order to camouflage it? It is my understanding that the bridge pup was a non-functional "decoy" in order to keep others from copping his tone. Much the same thing has been said of his supposed use of variable-A.C. ("variac") input transformers in order to lower his amps' plate voltages - which is a good way to blow an amp, whether it sounds good or not (and there are much better ways to lower your plate voltages!). -That is, that his use of them is pure fantasy for cover of his actual methodology.

Perhaps Eddie would have liked it better if the pickup was in the neck position.

Awesome buy dude! Congrats!

From what I can remember from previous FR's I've owned, the bridge saddles are not adjustable, but if it really appeases you, you can get different size saddles to mimic the radius of the fretboard. IMO the system is more trouble than it's worth, but I'd probably buy another guitar with a Floyd if it were something as cool as this EVH prototype :)
I currently have three guitars with FR trems: one is adjustable, via 12 tiny hex screws; another is disconcertingly flat. The third machine is equipped with an FR with adjustable saddles, but this variation uses one hex screw per string... reeeeaaaly inconveniently located ones. I think my first guitar, a Squier HM-3 Strat, had a curved trem, but in that case I think that the saddles were simply different sizes. This one looked like the flat variety, but I was curious, as I have not seen all the varieties of Floyd Rose trems by any stretch of the imagination and it could have had an adjustment method with which I am unfamiliar.

Last edited:
Love him or hate him???...who doesn't like Eddie??? He's done some silly "Rock Star" crap but he's still one of our "founding fathers"...Saw him a few times and he's the most natural player I've ever seen, and I've seen alot. I'm pretty old!!!! And Congrats, Hans!!!!! Enjoy!!!

EVH made me wanna play..to this day put him in a room with anybody and I mean anybody and he will blow there doors off..talk about tone , showmanship , and re-writing the book on gtr..and that Marshall !!!! with one volume knob !!!..some people are born naturals.. check this out

http://youtu.be/HYLmngZjEqE

Hans- that is beyond cool. EVH made me start playing when I was 12 years old in '82. My Aria electric got the whole home made stripe job, complete with double sided tape to hold extra picks. With PRS being my favorite guitars I see your new one and can't help but think it's like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup- two great tastes that taste great together. I saw EVH play last year again and he was smiling the whole time...what a player and it was cool to see how much he enjoys doing what he does. I'm really happy you have that guitar.

Thanks Ben. I have to admit, getting this one repainted (in the traditional red, black, and white) crossed my mind. I even asked Paul Miles about doing it but he's a terribly busy guy.

Whomever it was that did this one really knocked it out of the park. You have to admit, a PRS looks pretty bad ass with an EVH paint job. :rock:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
That was none other than Jan Hammer on keytar, with the then rhythm section from King Crimson - Tony Levin and Bill Bruford. Awesome clip. Thanks for posting it.

That striped PRS is totally cool.

Does anybody else think they should release a limited run of the EVH PRS?

I currently have three guitars with FR trems: one is adjustable, via 12 tiny hex screws; another is disconcertingly flat. The third machine is equipped with an FR with adjustable saddles, but this variation uses one hex screw per string... reeeeaaaly inconveniently located ones. I think my first guitar, a Squier HM-3 Strat, had a curved trem, but in that case I think that the saddles were simply different sizes. This one looked like the flat variety, but I was curious, as I have not seen all the varieties of Floyd Rose trems by any stretch of the imagination and it could have had an adjustment method with which I am unfamiliar.

Hmm, well what do ya know, lol. The only FR systems I've owned were Peavey licensed , and neither had adjustable height on the saddles, so I had to buy bigger saddles if I wanted to mimic the curve of the fretboard... of course those were the guitars that had an extremely wide neck and a pretty flat fret board, so maybe it was done by design.

Shoot Hans! I am late to the party, but that is one BADA$$ motengator!

I would love to hear that bad boy through a PRS 25th Anni amp!!!!!!!!

..I also just read an article that Edward Van Halen made the Floyd Rose work..when Floyd handed it to him and he clamped the nut..the guitar went sharp and out of tune..Eddie invented the fine tuners along with his d-tuna..you would think he would get a public thank you from Floyd lol

Back