So how many guitars are too many? When do you have enough?

At one point, I was up to 53 guitars. It was just too many to deal with. Some never were played...

Currently, I'm down to 33 (plus 2 banjos and a mandolin). Still too many, but slowly creeping down. I'll force myself to sell at least two, before I buy another one...

Jamie

I have a good collection of these...

free-air-guitars-unique-ad-from-uk-radio-station.jpeg

Like many of us, I really only "need" 2-3 guitars for what I do. At one time I had over a dozen electrics and several acoustics, but I have pared that down to 8-9 electrics and my Taylor and lap steel. I also have more amps than I need (7-8) but I try to ensure that everything gets played at least once in a while. As others have mentioned, my self-imposed limit is the number that I can make space for, without putting my marriage in jeopardy.

Too many - when you have ones you don't play or don't bring joy - I'd never sold a guitar until recently, but then I sold several that just didn't "do it" for me. Gilmour Strat and an quilt top EVH both were sold to fund P22 and Paul's... I see a trend here. :laugh:

Not enough? - When I can't pull one out that will give me the tone in my head at the time. (Same goes for Pedals and Amps)

Reality? I could really due with 3 or 4 - Humbucker, REAL single coil and Acoustic :wink:

Our philosophies are very similar. I don't buy often, and I very rarely sell.

Tone variety wise I'd be happy with four (Strat, Tele, PRS, acoustic), and I could live without the Strat. I've ended up with two of each in the electric world, though, because I like the redundancy for back-up or if one isn't doing it for me at a given time. Plus I'm emotionally attached to all of them.

I could get by with 1 Tele but I have no desire to do so. Right now I have more guitars than stands/hangers so I'm at the limit. Something needs to go if one comes in.

For my guitar skill level just one Squier would be enough (with all respect to the brand) but I have 7. There is a popular saying in my country that translated to English would be 'a coffin does not have drawers' meaning that you cannot take your money to the grave. So I think the number of guitar is directly proportional to three factors: your GAS, your Budget, and your wives tolerance for this hobby!!!!! Lolol

I currently have 5 electrics and 1 acoustic. 2 standard, one drop D, one Drop C and one drop B. All the electrics get plenty of use, but the acoustic doesn't.

For the first time in a long time, I don't have GAS.

I have 9 and a good example of each main food group; Suhr Tele, SVL Strat, '54 RI LP, '59 RI 335, PRS DGT, Carvin Holdsworth HH1, Reverend Flatroc, Lakland DJ bass, Collings CJ35. As Steve Martin once said, "that's all I need" ! Beyond that number, i get uncomfortable. Even 9 is pushing it.

as it does with EVERYTHING, money is going to dictate how many guitars we own. there's not a person on this forum who wouldn't say if they hit the lotto, they wouldn't own more guitars than they do now. i have 3 prs's, and might someday have 1 or 2 more, but for now, i'm very happy, thankful, and appreciative of the 3 i own.

The wife and I keep our money separate so she has no issue with my guitars so long as I'm paying my half of the bills. That said, you have my answer.

I'm Jesse...and I'm a guitar-a-holic...

If your wife pays half the bills, you sir are a very lucky man.

I pay all the bills except groceries. No wonder I only have two electrics and an acoustic. Which, by the way, is all I need.

If your wife pays half the bills, you sir are a very lucky man.

I pay all the bills except groceries. No wonder I only have two electrics and an acoustic. Which, by the way, is all I need.

We just do what we think is fair, makes sense, and works well for us. The neighbors question it, but given their conversation topics when we socialize I reckon they should take notes. We do have a shared account for automated bills and entertainment. If we go out to eat for example we'd pay with that account. Outside of this it doesn't get used. When getting groceries we will split a cart but I pay for my food and she pays for hers. So if I want a guitar, I need to make sure I and I alone can cover it. There's no shared funds for that type of thing. And I reckon there shouldn't be. It's my guitar. If something happens to us it goes with me. I bought it.

We just do what we think is fair, makes sense, and works well for us. The neighbors question it, but given their conversation topics when we socialize I reckon they should take notes. We do have a shared account for automated bills and entertainment. If we go out to eat for example we'd pay with that account. Outside of this it doesn't get used. When getting groceries we will split a cart but I pay for my food and she pays for hers. So if I want a guitar, I need to make sure I and I alone can cover it. There's no shared funds for that type of thing. And I reckon there shouldn't be. It's my guitar. If something happens to us it goes with me. I bought it.

I totally get it. I'm of an older generation, and for a long time while my wife raised the kids, I was the one working. Plus my income was always higher.

So it just got to be that way.

I'm not really unhappy about it. Whatever works!

I have 7 electrics, 1 bass and 1 acoustic. I only gig with my 3 PRS guitars. I dont like my LP, lost interest in my schecter and my G&L, well I just Keep it at home. The G&L was my first new guitar, bought it in 1983. I have grown to dislike where the vol pot is located on it as I constantly run my vol pot with my pinky as I play.

I plan to purchase more PRS guitars.

I go through different phases of acquiring gear and purging gear. Right now I've got 2 electrics, an acoustic and 2 basses. I really don't ever have more than that for very long.

as it does with EVERYTHING, money is going to dictate how many guitars we own. there's not a person on this forum who wouldn't say if they hit the lotto, they wouldn't own more guitars than they do now. i have 3 prs's, and might someday have 1 or 2 more, but for now, i'm very happy, thankful, and appreciative of the 3 i own.

Coin has little to do with how many I own at any time. Honest.

I get paralysis by analysis in the studio if I have more than 3-4. That's my max.

Wait - you can SELL guitars after you buy them? Seriously??? :iamconfused:

What's too many? Only when you say it's too many. I have more than I need, but not more than I use. I really have no overlap - I have some that are somewhat similar sounding, but no duplicates. My focus has been more on having something that will grab a different tone than what I currently have. I had to make a second hour-long drive when I bought my AV because I wanted to make sure I wasn't tricking myself into thinking that it sounded different from everything else.

Are there some that get played more than others? Absolutely - my 408 is my current #1, and my DGT, AV and Petrucci get the bulk of the general playing time after that. Other than times when I'm using a specific guitar for something in particular (like the current recording I'm doing w/the 7-string).

Will I buy more? Oh yeah....

Back