So how many guitars are too many? When do you have enough?

crgtr

Zombie Eight - DFZ
I know....loaded question. Of course all wives would have a number significantly lower than we would. Some guys would say they could do anything they need with 3-4. I currently have about 10 or so. I would love to have 100's. I could probably do everything I need with Riza & my tele, but isn't variety the spice of life? I keep looking around my modest music room & try to come up with a few I can get rid of & everytime I think I found one, I start playing it & fall in love with it all over again.
So....I guess its really a want vs need concept. I want them all. I really only need 2. Hell, I gigged fulltime on the road for 20 years with 2 guitars. Now I only gig a few times a month & have almost a dozen gtrs.
Anyway, no poll on this one. Just a question.
I'm Chris....and I'm a guitar-a-holic....

It is totally a personal thing. At times I am perfectly content with three (two electrics and an acoustic). Then there are times when I want more so I get some...then I sell them soon after.

Two? I only have two and I just play mostly in my bedroom.

Well, only two PRSi. Only two US PRSi. Can't count the SE, or the bass, or the Epi LP refinish project, or the 30 year old US strat I keep in the closet. Ok. I guess I have a guitar habit too.

Last edited:
The wife and I keep our money separate so she has no issue with my guitars so long as I'm paying my half of the bills. That said, you have my answer.

I'm Jesse...and I'm a guitar-a-holic...

Well, I think if you have a space and can/are willing to keep them out(think Markie's place)and safe, I say have as many as you can fit! If they're cased and locked down I think it's harder to justify. For me, I'll pull the one off the wall before getting one out of a case. I think guitars should get played.

For now I am content with the following wall of guitars.
I do want to add a "new 250 SC" if they make one in the future, or a Tremonti Maryland.

1.jpg

The only thing limiting my guitar addiction is money and and a place to put them. There are still 5 or 6 guitars out there I'd really like to have but most are big-ticket items so it will take me a while.

My next guitar will happen sooner than later. After that... who knows.

It is too many when you run out of space.
There are lots of guitars I like, and a few I might own one day, but I am getting pretty short on space.

My wife hasn't had an issue with them, and bought the most recent addition to the family. A few months ago I wrote an article naming 5 guitars I might give up and it troubled her enough that she asked me not to publish it. I'm in the process of creating more space.

Yes, You most certainly are addicted :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

:five: :cheers: :rock:

It is too many when you run out of space.
There are lots of guitars I like, and a few I might own one day, but I am getting pretty short on space.

My wife hasn't had an issue with them, and bought the most recent addition to the family. A few months ago I wrote an article naming 5 guitars I might give up and it troubled her enough that she asked me not to publish it. I'm in the process of creating more space.

I have a few spare bedrooms I'm not using. Temperature and humidity controlled of course. And the best part is...RENT FREE FOR YOU!!!

I have three. Prs DGT, Gibson LPJ and my old Washburn from 1986 . My daughter also has three, 2 ibanez models and an epi acoustic. There will be another NGD in probably a week or so, prs bug again lol

Hey Chris
I am a Guitaraholic :)
I have space for 10 before the wife complains about the "look" :mad: of the basement.
I could also easily get by on 2 guitars but what fun is that.
My number is between 6 and 10 much over 10 and some don't get played

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I'll sheepishly have to admit that I'm not exactly sure of the number. I'll have to take a head count. I will say that I've reached the "enough" number though. My control mechanism is that I just can't bring myself to get rid of a guitar, which does eventually become self-limiting.

More than one of most models, and more than two of your favorite, is probably too many in my book.

I have three US-made PRS guitars. Two of them are Custom 24s and the other is a Hollowbody II. These are my go-to guitars, the ones I use for most of what I do.

I do have many other guitars, but they're all imports. A Squier Strat, a Squier bass, a Seagull 12-string acoustic, my PRS SE Angelus Standard, a Burny ES-335 knockoff... and that's not counting the out-of-service guitars I used to play when I was younger and kept around for sentimental value. It's easier to justify having a lot of guitars if they're not too expensive, and I've become something of a connoisseur of cheap import guitars that offer a stellar price/performance ratio.

Too many - when you have ones you don't play or don't bring joy - I'd never sold a guitar until recently, but then I sold several that just didn't "do it" for me. Gilmour Strat and an quilt top EVH both were sold to fund P22 and Paul's... I see a trend here. :laugh:

Not enough? - When I can't pull one out that will give me the tone in my head at the time. (Same goes for Pedals and Amps)

Reality? I could really due with 3 or 4 - Humbucker, REAL single coil and Acoustic :wink:

When I go to a gig, 3 is the number I bring. One for standard and drop D tunings, a backup for that one, and a B standard tuned guitar/baritone.

I have 5 at the moment. Currently two are tuned to B standard, one I almost never play any more (it's more my wife's guitar, but it's also the backup), then there's my CU22 which is the #1 guitar, and finally the last one lives at my office so I can keep my chops up during lunch. My highest # was 9 at one point.

Since 2002 there has only been one year (2007) where I have not bought a guitar, and that year I was taking vocal lessons so the majority of my mad money was going to that. I was trying to make 2013 another one of those years so I could focus on getting some better studio equipment and stuff. PRS keeps pushing out awesome new products. They make it really hard. I'm having dreams about the S2 Mira.

How many do I need??? 2 to 3...

How many do I have... more than I have spaces to hang (it's a small section in my basement). Total 10 electrics, 2 acoustic 6 string, 1 acoustic 12 string.

I don't duck the frying pan as I state this, but... when I hit the 12 or more number its strictly a 1 in 1 out agreement to keep peace at the house... Unfortunately, I haven't figured out which one has to go since the 305 was acquired. Decisions (yes, I'm stalling), Huh, what's that dear? Yes, Dear, one will be listed as soon as I can find its case....

Back