SE Mods

For what it's worth I have two Zach Myers SEs and on both of them I replaced the adjustable bridge with the one you have on that guitar. If you like it, leave it.

Just a quick word about this lowly, great guitar.

ZH9wkfG.jpg

I've owned it for 10 years this past January. In that time I've swapped out a scratchy volume pot, replaced the bridge pickup with a Duncan Custom Custom I had laying around extra, put some USA PRS knobs on it (and the Merrill's Marauders sticker of which my wife's grandfather was a medic in WW2). But otherwise, this guitar is mostly stock. It's been modified several times but it's always returned to stock, or almost stock, because it's just good like that.

With some recent parts acquisitions, the plan was to upgrade the bridge with an adjustable one, the studs with TonePros lockable ones, and tuners to SE locking ones.

Now that it's time to do the mods, I'm gun shy. This guitar is really cool as it is, as cheap as it is, and there's no reason to upgrade anything other than "why not?". In fact, I really dig how it's the cheap mostly unmodded guitar.

ZH9wkfG.jpg

I've owned it for 10 years this past January. In that time I've swapped out a scratchy volume pot, replaced the bridge pickup with a Duncan Custom Custom I had laying around extra, put some USA PRS knobs on it (and the Merrill's Marauders sticker of which my wife's grandfather was a medic in WW2). But otherwise, this guitar is mostly stock. It's been modified several times but it's always returned to stock, or almost stock, because it's just good like that.

With some recent parts acquisitions, the plan was to upgrade the bridge with an adjustable one, the studs with TonePros lockable ones, and tuners to SE locking ones.

Now that it's time to do the mods, I'm gun shy. This guitar is really cool as it is, as cheap as it is, and there's no reason to upgrade anything other than "why not?". In fact, I really dig how it's the cheap mostly unmodded guitar.

They say "You'll never know until you try" along with "Why Not?" Make the changes, what do you have to lose? It all sounds so cliche'. Hosestly, you are not making unfixable changes to the guitar. Make the changes, if you don't like them, change it back. I've done that a few times now with my SE245.

It's so interesting to read your posts an how many beauties in those pics!!!
I receive my se custom 24 2 days ago. I was thinking about the tuners. I'm fine with the pups by now, considering I'm used to cheaper guitars and I'm not such a good player the stock pups still sound super fine to my ears.
Anyway reading your post makes me think in a few months I could change my mind!

Can anybody tell me.if it's normal that the volume controller spins smooth but the tone controller spins free... as if it was not in gear. I'm not sure I wrote something that make sense in English, but in my guitar the two controllers feel so different from each other.

Can anybody tell me.if it's normal that the volume controller spins smooth but the tone controller spins free... as if it was not in gear. I'm not sure I wrote something that make sense in English, but in my guitar the two controllers feel so different from each other.
Yes, that’s been my experience on SEs. The push-pull tone pot spins differently from the volume pot. Must be differences bc of pot type.

For what it's worth I have two Zach Myers SEs and on both of them I replaced the adjustable bridge with the one you have on that guitar. If you like it, leave it.
OK, cool... SE fixed or USA? I understand there is a difference between USA and SE with the fixed bridges, whereas the adjustable are the same thing.

I receive my se custom 24 2 days ago. I was thinking about the tuners. I'm fine with the pups by now, considering I'm used to cheaper guitars and I'm not such a good player the stock pups still sound super fine to my ears.
Congrats on your new Custom 24! The tuners that are on there are great, no need to change them unless you desire locking tuners. Pickups are fine too!

ZH9wkfG.jpg

Don’t mess with mojo. If you’re content, leave it. Yes, you can always reverse those mods, but I’ve learned the hard way.

Don’t mess with mojo. If you’re content, leave it. Yes, you can always reverse those mods, but I’ve learned the hard way.
Personally I love my cheap fantastic sounding SE Camo. Someone before me nodded with Active EMG and I did put the PRS upgrade nut on it and there is no reason to do more. It may get locking tuners.

I love those Silver Santana SE. Thanks for posting that!

Well, I said screw it, go ahead with the mods. Mostly they are reversible. Plus, I love working on my guitars as much as I love playing them.

m11OhHI.jpg

I noticed a fretboard ding I'll try to steam out with a soldering iron and a damp rag, at least that's how the professionals seem to do it. Can anyone tell me if this is the original nut for this model?

YTUCp1s.jpg

Well, I said screw it, go ahead with the mods. Mostly they are reversible. Plus, I love working on my guitars as much as I love playing them.

m11OhHI.jpg

I noticed a fretboard ding I'll try to steam out with a soldering iron and a damp rag, at least that's how the professionals seem to do it. Can anyone tell me if this is the original nut for this model?

YTUCp1s.jpg
I don't belive so. I swapped nuts on my 01 Santana, an it was the black plastic. I put on a White Graftech Tusq in its place. That's what yours appears to be.

m11OhHI.jpg

YTUCp1s.jpg

That should steam out nicely.
Just a drop of water in there, then a wet paper towel between the fingerboard an iron. Sand smooth. Repeat if it's not completely steamed out the 1st time around.

You may need to re-oil that portion of the fingerboard once you're done.

I don't belive so. I swapped nuts on my 01 Santana, an it was the black plastic. I put on a White Graftech Tusq in its place. That's what yours appears to be.
I just realized the out of my 3 SEs, the Santana was bought used but was extremely well taken care of by the previous owner, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was upgraded. With the other two, the Hollowbody seems to have a nicer than plastic nut (Sweetwater lists bone, is that right?), and the SE277 was a Sweetwater limited run with (I think?) a US nut preinstalled.

So, I guess all my SEs have got fancy nuts.

I just realized the out of my 3 SEs, the Santana was bought used but was extremely well taken care of by the previous owner, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was upgraded. With the other two, the Hollowbody seems to have a nicer than plastic nut (Sweetwater lists bone, is that right?), and the SE277 was a Sweetwater limited run with (I think?) a US nut preinstalled.

So, I guess all my SEs have got fancy nuts.
Yes, the new HB's have a bone nut.

About to have some fun with my SE Quilt Limited.

IMG_4888.jpg

040Ifm9EVZsifO554E8_17Z9w

I'm in the middle of a scratch build but house move has stopped play on that - my big tools are in storage,

So I was looking at my parts and trying to resist, but resistance is futile!

Has anyone fitted Fishman Fluence Modern Humbuckers in an SE?

09AiGQ82VjfOpyd4lYDUR2fjQ

IMG_4887.jpg

Also, I see further back up the thread that there were some nice wood effect vinyl headstock covers around, anyone know where I can get one?

Given that my guitar is a limited, I'm loathed to do anything irreversible, so a vinyl would work perfectly to update the headstock :)

Last edited:
About to have some fun with my SE Quilt Limited.

IMG_4888.jpg

040Ifm9EVZsifO554E8_17Z9w

I'm in the middle of a scratch build but house move has stopped play on that - my big tools are in storage,

So I was looking at my parts and trying to resist, but resistance is futile!

Has anyone fitted Fishman Fluence Modern Humbuckers in an SE?

09AiGQ82VjfOpyd4lYDUR2fjQ

IMG_4887.jpg

Also, I see further back up the thread that there were some nice wood effect vinyl headstock covers around, anyone know where I can get one?

Given that my guitar is a limited, I'm loathed to do anything irreversible, so a vinyl would work perfectly to update the headstock :)

For textured vinyls check out DANGEO'S DECOR on eBay. Thats where the ebony one I used on my Nick Catanese model posted in the thread SE Headstock Mod - fun times with vinyl. I'm currently waiting some smooth glosed wood effect from a store called wrapdirect.com (seem really cheap but good) just need to find a good supplier of the headstock script (mordern SE or Core)

m11OhHI.jpg

YTUCp1s.jpg

I know I'm way late, but yes that looks like the stock nut. The 2nd gen Santana SE came with the white plastic nut to match the binding.

Back