SE Mods

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by slev, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

That sounds like the beginning of a new blues song! (I'd drop the leading "I", but that's just me)

dogrocketp and Eddie kim like this.
  2. Eddie kim

Eddie kim New Member

Maybe country?

dogrocketp likes this.
  3. Tremontinator

Tremontinator New Member

I'm not giving you a writer's credit

I hate country

I'm crying in my beer cause my dog got hit by a car my sister won't gimme no tail the tornado destroyed my trailer my Ford broke down this Bud's for you I like Marlboro Reds and drinkin ol Milwaukee my cousin is sexy and my daddy's meth lab blew up. Again.

That's country music

dogrocketp and Tim S like this.
  4. Eddie kim

Eddie kim New Member

Let me rephrase, like Tennessee Whiskey country like.

dogrocketp likes this.
  5. Tremontinator

Tremontinator New Member

Alright so, add in the part about loving old #7, and wanting to bang his momma, too...

dogrocketp likes this.
  6. matt3310

matt3310 New Member

I decided after all I did to my blue ZM, it deserved a nicer headstock. So.....

Before

[​IMG]

Now!

[​IMG]

7. Tremontinator

Tremontinator New Member

Hell yeah!

Looks good, brother!

matt3310 likes this.
  8. grausch

grausch New Member

Wow, that looks great! If I may ask, how did you do the veneer?

9. matt3310

matt3310 New Member

Found a seller on Etsy. Its a vinyl overlay.

snfrd84, Black Plaid, bodia and 2 others like this.
  10. Beery Swine

Beery Swine New Member

I have a 2014 SE 245 on which I plan on swapping the pickups (definitely want a set with A2 magnets) and the toggle (it can be a little iffy sometimes). I've looked at the pots, and they have orange drop caps, but I can't tell the resistance. Do y'all think upgrading the pots on this guitar is worth it? They seem good, I think, but without having a variable to test, i.e. a second SE 245 with stock everything save upgraded pots, I can't really be 100% certain.

11. Tremontinator

Tremontinator New Member

Can I ask why you're set on AlNiCo 2 instead of 5 or ceramic?

12. NBW

NBW New Member

I left the pots alone, but changing out the switch should be pretty easy.

Beery Swine likes this.
  13. Beery Swine

Beery Swine New Member

I have ceramics and A5s in other guitars, and want something different. Slash, EVH, Billy Gibbons, Bonamassa, and tons of others use A2 magnet pickups. Also those other magnets are typically in higher-gain pickups, especially ceramic.

14. Tremontinator

Tremontinator New Member

So, if I'm hearing you right, you're saying that I need to only buy pickups they have ceramic magnets in order to acheive the ultra highest of ultra high gain

Thanks for the tip

15. Beery Swine

Beery Swine New Member

I mean, if that's what you want, but on a modern metal amp (or even one from 1984 like a Mark IIC+) you're not going to be cranking the gain/s all the way. I've found that the extra 25-40% of output you get from a high output pickup is wholly unnecessary. Having said that, I still love the SD SH-6 Distortion and think it's vastly underrated, especially compared with the JB, but I already have 2 guitars with the SH-6. Also, that McCarty sounds best to me no matter what I'm playing, from 60s rock and roll all the way up to modern technical brutal death metal. I seem to like the more PAFfy type pickups and guitars combined with modern metal amps and pedals.
    Also the amp is for the audience, the pickup is for the musician. No non-guitarist is gonna listen to a song and think "If only he'd used a better pickup". It's really just for tone freaks, which is pretty much why we're here.

16. Tremontinator

Tremontinator New Member

If we didn't care about tone, we wouldn't be playing PRSi lol

Don't get me wrong, I love a really bluesy sounding pickup, too.

I just think nothing sounds better than punching the front end of a high gain amp as hard as you possibly can, sending the pre-amp into distortion, and subsequently making the power amp section scream for mercy which then puts the speakers on the ropes

*ALL* *THE* *GAIN!!*

17. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

My SEs both have upgraded volume pots. I find the stock ones to be a little muddy when decreasing the volume, even with a volume kit installed. I haven't used SE245 pickups, but generally people seem to like them in their Bernies and ZMs. Maybe a magnet swap to A2 is all you need. You could get new magnets, pots, and a switch for less than a decent used pickup.

CyFan4036 and sergiodeblanc like this.
  18. Beery Swine

Beery Swine New Member

I was considering that, but then they still wouldn't have nickel covers for vanity. Also the windings wouldn't be matched to the magnet in specific ways which manufacturers like to do and it'd probably wind up (no pun intended) being darker than a less wound pickup. I also don't really care if I spend an extra few bucks here and there on a guitar so long as it gets me what I'm after. Besides, I think I found a good deal on a Slash set with nickel covers.
    If I didn't have other pickups to compare the SE245s to, I'd probably think they were great. But I do. The McCartys, the Distortions, the Jazzes, the Full Shreds, the EMG 81/60 all instantly sound better when I switch to the appropriate guitar. It's like there are a few high frequencies that the pickup just isn't getting in any way, and it winds up sounding flattened, but not quite muddy.

CyFan4036 likes this.