SE Mods

https://imgur.com/a/xWQhG5z

Tuners: Gotoh SG38-MGT (Black)
Bridge: Gotoh 510UB (Black)
Pickup rings: Anomaly Guitar classic tapered surrounds
Switch tip: black, generic

I also used a razor blade and an emery board to gently roll the fretboard edges - it's made quite a big difference to how the neck feels. The Gotoh parts dropped straight in - I didn't bother swapping the stud bushings and it's rock solid.

Put in a new wiring harness from Jackson Electronic Luthiers in to the Custom 24. Rand does really nice work, and will talk you ear off if you let him. I like how things sound through most of the effects i use on the Neck VB p/u on split and full bucker. However, the Brodge HFS p/u only sounds good on split. On full bucker it is losing clarity and is weak.

That being said, i sprung for a like new set of 8515S's. I'm hoping this should resolve my tonal differances

SE 8515's have been onboarded into the Custom 24.:D:D:D:D:D

Its like having a NGD! These pickups are sooooo much better that the SE VB and HFS that I pulled out. Louder, cleaner, full of tones I couldn't hear before. So, what I have now is:

2015 30th Anniversary Custom 24 SE (MIK)
JEL wiring harness with .022 Vitamin Q Capacitor, CTS 525K Short Shaft Pot (Vol), Switchcraft 3 way blade switch, Bourns Push/Pull Tone Pot. (5% tolerance build)
2018 SE 8515 Bridge and Neck Pickups.
Ernie Ball Paradigm 9-42's

everything else is still stock.

Just finished the mods to my SE Custom 24. Now plays like a dream, and is a monster.

Mods List:
PRS Tremonti (Bridge)
PRS 57/08 (Neck)
PRS USA Electronics
Switchcraft jack (One that came with the PRS kit was faulty)
Mini Jack for Tremonti coil tap (Adds an extra 3 sounds to the 5 available from Wiring Diagram)
MannMade Brass block & Saddles
Schaller Locking Tuners
Gotoh SG381 Traditional Magnum Locking Tuners 3X3
PRS Plastic Parts (Lampshade Knobs & Pickup Surrounds)

Picture, beside the PRS Studio 22:
EWyCgVoWkAESsBZ

Last edited:
Looking to replace my pick ups and bridge, 2014 SE CU24

Is the money worth being spent on the bridge? Looking at John Mann's bridge

pick ups are less than the bridge , looking at either a SD JB or Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge

pick ups are less than the bridge , looking at either a SD JB or Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge
The John Mann bridge is great, altho I would start by replacing the nut and seeing if your tuning stability improves (and then locking tuners).

The John Mann bridge is great, altho I would start by replacing the nut and seeing if your tuning stability improves (and then locking tuners).

Never stated I had any tuning stability to improve, I have a bone nut in it that replaced the SE one...

oh is it ever. The NOS2000 is the bomb. And it doesn't tarnish (like my core bridge from just looking at it.). I have one on a CE and one on an SE.
But it depends on the future of your SE. You won't get the cost of upgrades out of it in case you ever try to sell it.
I left the tuners in. They're pretty decent. And if you know how to string a guitar, locking tuners don't improve tuning stability. They just make string changes faster.
I put HFS/VB in the SE and 59/09 in the CE. SE pups are fine. CE pups are awesome. I stuck with PRS on pups. outside of that I'm an SD guy. They never fail me on tone, and I hold a personal grudge against DiMarzio for the double-cream patent nonsense.

oh is it ever. The NOS2000 is the bomb. And it doesn't tarnish (like my core bridge from just looking at it.). I have one on a CE and one on an SE.
But it depends on the future of your SE. You won't get the cost of upgrades out of it in case you ever try to sell it.
I left the tuners in. They're pretty decent. And if you know how to string a guitar, locking tuners don't improve tuning stability. They just make string changes faster.
I put HFS/VB in the SE and 59/09 in the CE. SE pups are fine. CE pups are awesome. I stuck with PRS on pups. outside of that I'm an SD guy. They never fail me on tone, and I hold a personal grudge against DiMarzio for the double-cream patent nonsense.

This is the one I am looking at

https://reverb.com/item/32881171-mannmade-usa-prs-mann-vibrato-bridge-nickel

not concerned about resale either more for playing.

Currently has a DiMarzio Crunch Lab in it but to me seems weird or lacking bottom end, leaning to the Super Distortion

This is the one I am looking at

https://reverb.com/item/32881171-mannmade-usa-prs-mann-vibrato-bridge-nickel

not concerned about resale either more for playing.

Currently has a DiMarzio Crunch Lab in it but to me seems weird or lacking bottom end, leaning to the Super Distortion

I'm sure that Mann bridge model is rock solid too. don't have personal experience. saves a couple bucks over the NOS2000 if I remember right.
might be free shipping if you go directly to his website: guitarvaultusa.com

I'm sure that Mann bridge model is rock solid too. don't have personal experience. saves a couple bucks over the NOS2000 if I remember right.
might be free shipping if you go directly to his website: guitarvaultusa.com

looks like the NOS is 1 piece and the one I posted is 2 piece

Here is what I am doing once the parts come in

Replacement wiring harness from Buhr
  • Bourns PDA241 Long Life 500 kΩ Volume Potentiometer
  • Alpha 500 kΩ Push/Push DPDT Coil Split Tone Potentiometer
  • CRL 3-Way Blade Switch Pickup Selector (No Tip Included)
  • Switchcraft #11 Mono Output Jack
  • Orange Drop .022 µF 716P 400v Tone Capacitor
  • Buhr Electronics Treble Bleed (716P .001 µF w/ Xicon 150 kΩ 1/4 Resistor)
  • Gavitt Cloth Pushback Wire

New lamp shade knobs to fit the 21 spline

Seymour Duncan - JB in the bridge - JAzz in the neck

Already have locking tuners on it and bone nut.

Need to order the Mann 1 piece bridge once my wife isn't looking anymore :)

Here is what I am doing once the parts come in

Replacement wiring harness from Buhr
  • Bourns PDA241 Long Life 500 kΩ Volume Potentiometer
  • Alpha 500 kΩ Push/Push DPDT Coil Split Tone Potentiometer
  • CRL 3-Way Blade Switch Pickup Selector (No Tip Included)
  • Switchcraft #11 Mono Output Jack
  • Orange Drop .022 µF 716P 400v Tone Capacitor
  • Buhr Electronics Treble Bleed (716P .001 µF w/ Xicon 150 kΩ 1/4 Resistor)
  • Gavitt Cloth Pushback Wire

New lamp shade knobs to fit the 21 spline

Seymour Duncan - JB in the bridge - JAzz in the neck

Already have locking tuners on it and bone nut.

Need to order the Mann 1 piece bridge once my wife isn't looking anymore :)
I've been using Switchcraft jacks forever and they totally last. but going forward i might start using PureTone full contact jacks...

Back