SE Mods

IMG_20190319_170408944_zpsovi9gioi.jpg

Just barely got the Mann Made black chrome tuners installed.

Don't these humdingers look nice?

White chrome was $90 but, I just said to hell with it, I wanna be different so, black chrome were $130

NOTE:
My PRSd said the mounting screws that come with the Mann Made tuners weren't long enough so, he had to reuse the factory ones.
I'm good with it.
Strongly considering these for my Holcomb.

I'm gonna be that guy tho - why so many wraps on a locking tuner? I thought we were supposed to pull them tight, lock, tune. Then you have almost no wraps.

Strongly considering these for my Holcomb.

I'm gonna be that guy tho - why so many wraps on a locking tuner? I thought we were supposed to pull them tight, lock, tune. Then you have almost no wraps.

I have no idea

My PRS dealer installed the tuners for me
I'm very mechanical in mind but, I know enough not to fool with my guitar cause, knowing my luck, I'll F it up

He has a reason which made sense when he explained it but, now that you ask, I can't recall

Good eye tho

You get a slightly higher break angle over the nut with a few wraps on the post, but that is not at all needed and defeats the function of the locking tuner.

Pull string taut, tighten thumb screw, bend string at right angle. Tune, stretch, and rock!

So that must be why most locking tuners use really tiny posts.

Don't mean to hijack, but I couldn't find anything in the search although I'm sure something is there......

I'm having tuning issues with my SE, nonetheless how much play do you guys or have you guys found in your bridge posts where they screw into the nut in the body? The posts in this guitar are very very loose and wobble quite a bit. I've read about the bridge leaning forward but it also seems to me the posts (with this much "wiggle") may be leaning forward also.

Thanks in advance....

Don't mean to hijack, but I couldn't find anything in the search although I'm sure something is there......

I'm having tuning issues with my SE, nonetheless how much play do you guys or have you guys found in your bridge posts where they screw into the nut in the body? The posts in this guitar are very very loose and wobble quite a bit. I've read about the bridge leaning forward but it also seems to me the posts (with this much "wiggle") may be leaning forward also.

Thanks in advance....
I'm assuming this is a wraparound fixed bridge, not a trem? Posts should be snug when tightened up and to pitch. Leaning forward wouldn't really affect tuning. Maybe you have too many wraps on tuners? Different gauge string and nut binding?

Its an adjustable wrap around....I was just re-stringing, cleaning the nut, basic set-up type stuff and found that the posts themselves are very loose. Not the nut portion pressed in the body.
If you remove the bridge itself, the posts wiggle excessively to me, and thats threaded in far enough to spec height.

The only thing I can compare it to as if you've ever put a metric nut on a standard bolt (and some will fit), it fits but is very loose.

Was just curious as to whether anyone has noticed this.

I also have 3 tuners that take 2 grown men to turn. Working on this currently.

Somebody give that man the link to the Mann Made tuners, stat! :)

I'm gonna go ahead and say the bridge sounds like something is definitely wrong.

Is it where the bridge posts thread into the inserts, or where the inserts thread or press into the body?

Its where the posts thread into the inserts. The inserts in the body are fine.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to even keep it at this point. I've had the guitar literally a week tomorrow. I was just reading an interesting post on FB regarding the Korean vs Indonesian quality.

Replacing these tuners looks like the only option as there isn't much you can do with them.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to even keep it at this point. I've had the guitar literally a week tomorrow. I was just reading an interesting post on FB regarding the Korean vs Indonesian quality.

Replacing these tuners looks like the only option as there isn't much you can do with them.

The tuner buttons are adjustable. If they're difficult to turn, just loosen the screw at the end of the tuning key a little bit.

Is this a new or used guitar? Build quality doesn't mean much if it's been abused by a prior owner or sat in a shop forever.

Brand new...I'll get it taken care of one way or the other. It's just obvious this particular guitar saw no set-up whatsoever.

All of the SE post are like that, they lean a little as they are not as tight a fit as the American versions, not a defect. Since the bridge has the individual saddles, the leaning posts shouldn't cause any issues.

Or get a set of Tone Pros locking studs. Just make sure to get the metric version in chrome with the large PRS-style heads. Solves the issue entirely and have been a mainstay on any of SEs or S2s with the wraparound tailpiece that I've owned.

John Mann converted a set of stock PRS SE tuners for me, and I put them on my SE Custom 24. They gave me that last bit of tuning stability that I needed, and now I can abuse the whammy and stays in tune. Great job on the conversion! :)

46823044015_6c38f9fb90_o.jpg

33862565668_0ae933a66c_o.jpg

I forgot about this thread.

I got my USA nut installed Saturday. Unfortunately, who knows when I'll be able to play it. I had to take a 7 hour Greyhound for a new job.

Back