SE Mods

No need to change all of the pots, unless you have any issues with them. If you only need one coil split, you could replace one pot with a push/pull pot, or just add a mini toggle and keep the original pots. There are push/pull pots that you allow the use of the original knobs, just measure the shaft diameter of your existing pots.

I measured my SE Zach Myers pot shafts, and it looks like they are 6 mm diameter. So if you go with the split shaft 6 mm shaft size push/pull, you should be able to use the same knobs.

I think I'd prefer a mini toggle vs the push/pull pot, so may go that way. Mind if I ask a few other questions? (1) I'm not sure if I want/need SPDT or DPDT switch type. I've read up on what they mean/are, but am still not clear on which I would need for this specific application. Do you know? (2) I'm having trouble finding a wiring diagram for my specific configuration - basically Les Paul style put with the mini toggle thrown into the mix, only controlling the bridge pickup (for now - neck is a P90, but may not always be).

Thanks!

SPST would work just fine, only need to switch the split to ground. One terminal of the switch to ground, the other terminal of the switch to the coil split wire(s). All other wiring can remain the same as you have now.

Last edited:
My SE doesn't need any functional mods.

A less gaudy top might be nice, but that's beyond my skill level!
Skills?

d3f53400-7041-4be5-b877-c04fa864aec0_1.40af5cdce1e72c83aedbf12086272893.jpeg

I just did some cosmetic mods to my two SE's. Tone Ninja Ebony lampshade knobs with bird inlays for my CU24 SE Floyd. Was worried they would look tacky, but actually they look pretty cool. Bought some crayola wax crayons to rub into the numbers, wipe the surface till you see them clearly, an old Dungeons & Dragons dice trick. I might end up making the numbers crimson red like the fire burst instead.

CU24Ninja_D.jpg

Phone cameras doesn't seem to like doing close ups. The Ebony wood is much darker in person.

CU24Ninja_C.jpg

SportHiTech on Reverb. They're a great dealer of all things Hipshot.

Incidentally, I bought these ToneNinja Knobs from there and they fit this SE without any adapter bushings.

Also since they were going cheap ($13) and it was the lastpack I got some brass PRS bridge studs for my Zach Myers too.

ZMBrass.jpg

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Tremonti clear mods in the first few pages. I wanna do things to my Zach Myers. :D

I will say if the John Mann bridge is anything like the Schroeder bridge everyone with a stoptail SE must do the swap! The difference is night and day.

Hi everyone.

I'm considering changing the tuners of my 2 SE's, I have an SE Standard 24 (year 2015) and an SE Custom 24 (year 2017), and I like the planet waves autotrim locking tuners.
Does someone of you have them installed on any of these models? These tuners fits fine or requires some modification to the headstock?

Thank you!

I had the planet waves on an archtop. Some of the parts were plastic, and one of the auto string cutters died at one year. All my SE’s now have Hipshot open back locking tuners with ump plates. They have an 18:1 gear ratio and are all metal.

I had the planet waves on an archtop. Some of the parts were plastic, and one of the auto string cutters died at one year. All my SE’s now have Hipshot open back locking tuners with ump plates. They have an 18:1 gear ratio and are all metal.
I’m with him

Hi everyone.

I'm considering changing the tuners of my 2 SE's, I have an SE Standard 24 (year 2015) and an SE Custom 24 (year 2017), and I like the planet waves autotrim locking tuners.
Does someone of you have them installed on any of these models? These tuners fits fine or requires some modification to the headstock?

Thank you!

Do this:

https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/MannMade_USA_Locking_Tuner_Set_p/7030.htm

I believe he will also modify your existing tuners if you send them in...

Hi everyone.

Thank you!
Have had Grover rotomatic 18:1 locking tuners on an SE EG for the last 8yrs. Rock solid and exact fit, though the heads are a little smaller than original PRS. May be worth checking out for your 24's

Yep, locking Grovers on my SE Tremonti work quite well, drop in without modification. Although I do plan to have Mann convert the originals to lockers and then put them back on.

Back